Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Layla has always had this interesting thing about her. She has what relates to sweat after she has laid in one place for a while she becomes moist and its not just on her side but in her arm pits. Now I know its prob just body heat and the moisture just builds up but it does not smell to good. My vet said that it was a normal bacteria that was on dogs skin and it lets off this fragrance. Its not a wet dog smell tho its a more pungent sour smell. Does anyone have any idea about what im describing if so is it bacteria that I should take care of?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I have asked the same question about what appears to be dog sweat to many people, and I just can't seem to get an answer. people just tell me dogs don't sweat. Well Lady doesn't have to be lying in 1 place very long before she is moist with "sweat", and she has that funny smell. I have had many dogs over the years, and have never seem this before. It doesn't seem to cause any ill effects so I don't really worry about it, she will not be a dog who sleeps in the bed tho lol.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Here ya go

"Dogs do not produce sweat for thermoregulation. However, they do have sweat glands, called apocrine glands, associated with every hair follicle on their body. The exact function of these is not known, but it is suspected that these are meant to produce pheromones or chemical signals for communication with other dogs. These sweat secretions probably produce an individual odor signal that is recognizable by other dogs.

Dogs also have sweat glands on the pads of their paws and on their noses. These are eccrine glands. When these glands are active, they leave the nose and paw pads slightly moist and help these specialized skin features maintain their functional properties.[1] The odor associated with dog paw pads is much more noticeable on dogs with moist paw pads than on those with dry pads."

Dog odor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its nice to know Im not the only one out there with a nice fragrant dog. and so true about sleeping in the bed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts