Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Layla was running up the porch stairs and she slipped and banged her back leg on the step pretty hard. We went and got her X-rays and everything was thankfully fine. The only problem I have now is she still wont use the leg that much and its been about 2 weeks now. Does anyone have any ideas because I dont want her to be cradling it forever?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It may still be sore for her. If you feel comfortable and you know nothing is broken maybe try massaging it and stretching it out for her, she might be timid to try that leg again because of the pain it did cause her.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah they said nothing looks bad and that it relates to if I had rolled my ankle bad. They also told me to make her walk on it. The thing is I still cant get her to walk on it; I have held legs up in all kinds of order. She will randomly use it but not for very long.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yeah don't make her put ALL her weight on it by holding her other legs up, that might be too much. YOu can gently push her side a little bit so she is forced to put the leg down to steady herself or trying walking her up and down stairs where it will harder for her to use three legs, also maybe try holding treats just out of reach so she has to get up on her hind legs.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would go back to the vet. I had a dog do that once and she tore some ligaments. It sounds like soft tissue damage and the best thing right now is total crate rest. Even if there is nothing torn if she is still favoring it she needs rest. I have performance dogs and see soft tissue injuries all the time. As much as it sucks she should be confined to a crate for at least 10 days. That means on leash to go potty and back in a crate. no stairs, no jumping, no running, or any other activity. If you feel bad about confinment, I just take them out on leash and let them lay on the couch with me. But I will not let them jump up or down on the couch, I lift them.

I say still check with the vet and make sure it's nothing more serious. Good luck

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I just read the post above, since you do not know what is wrong yet do not make her use it. She is favoring it for a reason do not force her to use it just yet. Go to the vet and crate rest for now. In a few weeks of rest then you can SLOWLY start working her back into shape.
The reason you do not want to rush things is what if it is a partial tear? The you force her to use it and get a total tear. I have seen it happen, take it easy.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yeah they said nothing looks bad and that it relates to if I had rolled my ankle bad. They also told me to make her walk on it. The thing is I still cant get her to walk on it; I have held legs up in all kinds of order. She will randomly use it but not for very long.
Well I was basing my post on his vet telling him to make her use it.

However, if you feel that its not a good idea and are supicious of a tear, I would ask the vet to look again or possibly find a new vet.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It took me three vets before I found an amazing one.
So to the OP I trust that PK knows what they're talking about lol take her in for a second look.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was on vacation when it happened so we went to my moms vet and they are the ones that took the X-rays and siad to just have her start using it cause fluids were building up. They gave me anti-inflammatory pills and that really helped a lot with the swelling. I havent let her do much activities since it happened and its been two weeks. I brought the X-rays home with me and gave them to my vet and she said if she finds anything that looks bad she would call me and she didnt. I just figured it was in Layla's head that she couldnt use it.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
try putting a sock over her opposite leg. You can use tape to secure the sock to her leg. It'll make her switch between the paws she uses to walk/put weight on...if she starts to favor the leg with the sock on it you can take it off in like 10 minutes lol. if she still favors the injured leg then the sock affect won't work, and you'll know she isn't kidding around!

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I agree with the posts about the torn ligaments. This is also not something that is going to show up on an x-ray since it is a soft tissue injury.

Our older dog had been limping for quiet some time and had to see the vet several times before we finally got the correct diagnosis of a torn ligament.

Our vet recommended limited movement (as posted above w/ the crating) and also supplementing him with fish oil and glucosamine to aid in healing. We are really hoping that with proper care it will heal on it's own. The surgery to repair the ligament is about $1200-1400.

·
Registered
798 Posts
She could have pulled a something. I would do what neela said that or one of those little bootys. Neela's dog Jarvis was all over the place when we put all four on him. When we took two off, he was trying to keep off of the legs that had the booty on. So either the sock or the booty would be fine. Sock might be a hole lot cheaper though. All though, the booty's are fun to watch. Even though it was mean, I do have to admit it was funny

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the help and I will try all that you have suggested. If she isnt improving by next week I will have to go into the vets again. I will keep you posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts