Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Layla went in for a routine spay Friday. The vet called me around noon and told me that her spleen was punctured during the procedure and they could not stop the bleeding. She made a judgement call and removed the whole spleen. I've been so upset about this and can't understand how this could have happen =(

Has anyone had a similiar experience that could offer some advice.

She is doing fine now and recovering pretty quickly. My main concern is that her immune system is now compromised and her red blood count is at 35% and the lowest norm is 37%. I'm concerned its going to continue to drop.

Are there any supplements that can help boost the immune system that anyone can reccomend? She is eating California Natural and am going to add some raw red meat (vets reccomendation) a few times a week to try and help her red blood cells get back where they should be......

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I'm asking one of my Vet tech's about this ;)

So far this is what she's saying... Thats very unfortunate but bad things do sometimes happen. She can try red cell supplement to as it is a good one. The red meat should work well though :( poor doggy

Main thing is that your dog should be fine, and follow your vets instructions.

Good luck and hope she's much better soon :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I have been in surgery with many spays and it is a simple procedure. I hope they did not make you pay for the surgery and they are offering free after care. If not you need to talk to the hospital manager and raise a stink about it. yes accidents to happen but to puncture a spleen on a simple say I would hang the vet by the toes! Just because they said sorry does not make them get off the hook. I have seen horrible vets butcher poor dogs and only the brave owners that have the guts to stand up to them made a difference.

I hope your girl has a great recovery! I am so sorry to hear this happened.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys -

they did not make me pay for the spay or the follow up blood test she had today but after doing some reading it sounds like she should have her red blood cells monitered for atleast the next 6 weeks because anemia can set in a few weeks after the actual spleen removal.

I have seen many many spays with cats and dogs even kittens as younge as 8 weeks and never heard of this happening. Accidents do happen but while they have been very apologetic they have not been very helpful when it comes to offering free follow up care. I think I will put a call in to the manager and tell him that I would like them to do blood testing for the next few weeks on them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm asking one of my Vet tech's about this ;)

So far this is what she's saying... Thats very unfortunate but bad things do sometimes happen. She can try red cell supplement to as it is a good one. The red meat should work well though :( poor doggy

Main thing is that your dog should be fine, and follow your vets instructions.

Good luck and hope she's much better soon :)
thank you!

·
Registered
994 Posts
i hope everything goes alright. im so sorry to hear this, glad i read it though. So i can keep u guys in my prayers. ---shane.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Yes they should provide follow care for THEIR negligence. Through a stink about it, they should cave if not mention a lawyer and watch them jump like circus chimps! lol
The need to give you support on this and care for the animal. Good luck, stay strong for Layla!

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Wow, girl I'm so sorry that this procedure went so wrong for you and Layla! She'll be in my thoughts as she heals.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It may sound silly but as a Surgical Nurse, I think Vets should be held to the same standards as human doctors. A life is a life, and a medical error is a medical error. I wish you and Layla the best.

·
The M.F. Problem
4,878 Posts
WOW! That is really sh***y, I can't believe they could make such a horrific mistake in a routine surgery. I'm really sorry to hear this, I recommend looking over your waver to see how much their asses were covered. I hate to label it like this, but that is property damage and you should be compensated, atleast for prescription costs, IMO. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It may sound silly but as a Surgical Nurse, I think Vets should be held to the same standards as human doctors. A life is a life, and a medical error is a medical error. I wish you and Layla the best.
If I went in for a histerectomy and they removed my spleen because of their error I would have a good case. But when it comes to animals its unfortunatly not the same although we all view them as family members!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Thanks guys -

they did not make me pay for the spay or the follow up blood test she had today but after doing some reading it sounds like she should have her red blood cells monitered for atleast the next 6 weeks because anemia can set in a few weeks after the actual spleen removal.

I have seen many many spays with cats and dogs even kittens as younge as 8 weeks and never heard of this happening. Accidents do happen but while they have been very apologetic they have not been very helpful when it comes to offering free follow up care. I think I will put a call in to the manager and tell him that I would like them to do blood testing for the next few weeks on them.
First of all, I am sorry to hear about Layla. We'll keep her in our thoughts :)

Secondly, I agree with Marty about the red blood cell supplement. Since her red blood count is low, she is probably showing signs of anemia. You can tell by raising the lip and looking at the gum flesh and mucus membranes. When a dog is anemic, those areas are pale, and once her blood count levels out, her gums and lips should be a little more saturated with color.

As far as the vet goes, I would demand everything be done free of charge. You did not take your dog in there to be poked and prodded. And now she's in bad shape because they couldn't stop the bleeding. It might not be in your nature to go in there and DEMAND this, but think of the fact that you were going in there FOR A ROUTINE PROCEDURE!!! If they are not willing to cooperate fully, then it is your right to call the Better Business Bureau as it is a business.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If I went in for a histerectomy and they removed my spleen because of their error I would have a good case. But when it comes to animals its unfortunatly not the same although we all view them as family members!
This is where you are wrong! I have seen vet hospitals taken to court for negligence and the owners win with support from another vet who testified that the other hospital was negligent. Yes they are treated as property sometime but I have seen cases go to court. DO not let them bully you! as spleen removal from a spay would land that vet in a whole lot of trouble. If they give you problems let us know and I will do some research for you on who to contact like the Vet board. They should provide all you care you need for the spleen at no cost for as long as it takes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts