Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think its a cough it sounds like she's trying to hack a hairball up. She did it earlier coming home from the park and then just did it again......what could this be??? She isn't acting sick and had a ton of energy today.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just read online that if its kennel cough and I put pressure on her throat she will start coughing....and guess what she did!

I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow. She can she a bordella while she has kennel cough?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
i dont think so if kennel cough is present but i could be wrong i would ask the vet...tricia update us after you visit the vet let us know how she is

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely will. Now I'm nervouse thats she's going to get really sick. I read something about it online and says most cases will just run its course but others can turn into phnemonia (sp)

This is the first say she has had any coughing....I'm hoping I caught it soon enough that it doesnt get worse.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Bordatella isn't included in puppy shots and lots of dogs that come from a kennel like the pound or humane society or something get them, it's an airborne thing and the dogs there aren't vaccinated for it so they usually pass it around until they get adopted THEN the adoption center says 'oh, they have kennel cough wait til its gone' then you wait another week... most likely your foster passed it to layla. dogs that get groomed regularly or are around lots of dogs regularly are recommended to get the bordatella, all my dogs gets it yearly. :)

Belle did show signs of it one time and the vet looked at her and said it was a 'possibility' so he gave her the nasal injection right then and there, so hopefully she will get some relief.

Keep us informed!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay just got back from the vet. She does have kennel cough but it is not very bad. She has not coughed once today so we will see how it goes tonight(guess thats when it becomes more active) My vet didn't want to give a Bordetela (sp) until it passes. He did give me antibiotics to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. He also said putting a vaporizer by her crate or putting her in the bathroom when I shower should offer some relief.

Thank You Everyone for you answers. Layla and I appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Thrall and Raisin got Kennel Cough even though they got the vaccine. It is such a common illness that the vaccines can't keep up with the new strains I think (like what happens with humans and the flu virus). Both my dogs got over it fine in about a week, and Thrall had a very bad case, so your girl should be better in no time since it sounds like she was fighting it off on her own anyway. Keep us posted and give her lots of hugs from me :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks FC and PM - I gave her lots of hugs from you guys lol!

The vet said that the foster is most likley where it came from but there's no way to be sure. She could have gotten it from puppy class because oddly enough 2 of the 4 puppies (layla included) didn't make it to class last night. Neither of the familys had missed a class so my boyfriend was thinking that maybe those two dogs came down with it and thats why they weren't there......

either way I'm glad I took her to the vet to be on the safe side.

I'm wondering if the Bordetella is worth it? Alot of people seem to say thier dogs have gotten KC with that vac. Guess it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
peanut has been vaccinated for kennel cough but hasnt got it but to be honest due to his DA he doesnt get close interaction with other dogs outside my house.
i know when dogs are boarded or go anywhere other dogs are in close contact they require that vaccine given.

all that aside when it comes time for peanuts annual vaccines he is going to get a vaccine titer to know where he stands anyways.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
ooh i just had a thought too...if you are going to still foster tell the shelter to vaccinate the foster dog for kennel cough next time to be sure. i know it is a safe enough vaccine to give even if the dog had previously been vaccinated. when i worked at an animal hospital dogs that boarded often or went ot dog parks or were therapy dogs were vaccinated every 6 months for KC. the shelter should have no problem doing that. you are helping them out and the dogs so they should understand you wanting to protect your own baby

1 - 20 of 21 Posts