Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay everybody, I was presented with a question from a less than knowledgeable person, pertaining to the breed(s) as a whole. With all the BSL trying to be enacted, and the breed being in the wrong hands (byb types), where do you see this breed in the next 10 yrs, or even the next 20 yrs? Do you think our beloved breed will meet its demise and be on the brink of extinction, or do you think we will overcome BSL like the Bloodhound, Rottweiler & Doberman did?

Now, I must say, that unless we're able to get into every uneducated, prejudice person's head and make a change in their opinions for the good, and we allow the breed to continue on a downward spiral in the wrong hands, then we will have to face our breed's extinction. Now, I want to hear from all of you.

Let's get some real conversation about our dogs going here!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I can see the breed getting better in the medias eyes when this fad wears off and the "wrong" owners move on to the next big breed. Its hard to say though if that will happen in the next 10 years though. Id like to hope they overcome BSL but I think its something that will always be there, even with the rottys and dobys I think they still deal with it they just arent the ones in the spot light right now. Im not sure any of that ever goes away because there will always be bad owners who put there dogs in the spotlight to be critisized.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, with that said, how do we do more to turn the breed image around? Everyone wants to fight BSL, but not everyone takes the time to sit down and write letters or emails in this day and age because we're too consumed with our personal lives, and playing with our dogs and kids and dealing with life's circumstances. So, how should we go about this, turning the breed's image around, not only in the media's eyes, but the general public's as well?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I am not an expert in canines, but I do watch for patterns for a living and apply to every day life.

To make the pit bull breed extinct is near impossible simply because of the numbers and the fact that the government would never pursue door to door searches in a sense.

patterns also dictate that much like the "enemy #1 " mentality we seem to have every decade or so would imply that this will cool off some.....but this breed has gotten more negative physical attention than others imo

now here is another variable that is NOT a repeating pattern. this BSL blankets now multiple breeds, apbt, bullies, am staff, etc etc...... there is no way the laws will be absolute and simply do away with a species if u will ( i know breed isnt as dramatic lol)

i think we need to worry about today....we do everything we can for our dogs.....tomorrow is not where the fight takes place....today is the day we worry about .

my 2 cents

edit******

i havent volunteered nor made some moves to get physically involved cuz idk how or maybe too busy w/e.....but a) i take my dog to work twice a week to educate the 30 people i work with.....and change their perception B) trying to do on fb a photo of the week with some absurd made up pit bull story and share it with as many people as i can.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even though you can't make the breed extinct, per say, you can reduce the breed to almost extinct. Therefore, once the breed is low in numbers, then people will forget and wont want to breed, support, or even acknowledge its existance anymore, and then you will have extinction. So, therefore, the breed must be promoted in the same venues and avenues as they are promoted in a negative light; tv commercials, internet, movies, etc., this way, swaying the opinion of the general public in a positive fashion. So, in my opinion, the fight of today will lead to the preservation and ensure the existance of our breed tomorrow (in the future).

Rodrigo, it's great that you're taking small steps to educate the people you work with, and I appreciate that. Now, if you could expand, and maybe go outside that 30 person group, that would help that much more. Maybe those 30 people could pass on the knowledge they've acquired to someone less knowledgeable, hence spreading the word that much more.

·
Registered
816 Posts
well thats the plan with facebook.... we all are limited in the tools god gave us....i was blessed if u could say with a pretty unique sense of humor that can bring laughter to a rock basically.......

so last week i posted this on fb :

"Fox Channel 11 reports another deadly attack by a ferocious mean pit bull, the victim : Francesca Villareal comments "...... de dog yumped on mai dohter and nao her faice is fool off espit!!! ......" ......mrs. Villareal was too emotional to comment further, no doubt soap will HAVE to be used ......... what else are we going to have to hear to put a stop to the madness!!!! The suspect is at large and here is a sketch .....witnesses described the dog as a "Gangsta Pit".....no... doubt this dog listens to rap and hip hop......... this world is coming to and end.

Thank you for reading , please read up on BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) that makes people like me and my dog victims of ignorant people that buy into the news and NOT questioning how often OTHER dogs maul as well.....but everyone loves to watch a nice bloody story , just like YOU stop to see that accident on the fwy......NEWS IS A BUSINESS NOT FACT....ITS A TV SHOW AND MAJORITY OF THE MORONS TAKE IT AS FACT.

Please come meet my dog Samson and you will learn what a real American Pit Bull Terrier is and what kind of temperament they actually have.See More
- with Erin Duffy and 24 others."

and below a pic of my puppy wearing an adidas hat on sideways.....and sent it to about 30 people and asked them to send it to 3 each and so forth....ill do one with a bogus story every week wiuth a new cute pic that will apply to the story...and idk...thats a beginning....im in socal...los angeles...would love to meet up with others and do stuff together to show we have angels not demons

if any of u wanna friend req me to share the pix and "news story" http://www.facebook.com/http://www....01410&ref=tn_tnmn#!/profile.php?id=1512901410

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
What bothers me the most on trying to educate is people usually doubt you, or think my dog must be special when I talk about how great he is. When some people meet my boy, they then think he is not the norm of the breed. That he IS special. I try and get them to understand that although I love my dog he isn't special to anyone (of course he is too me). That this is the way most pit bulls should behave. THEN I have to explain why there are so many pit bull type dogs. I think that is the hardest things to overcome is convincing people there are multiple breeds. I mean I have seem some boards where people still think AmStaff and APBT are the same breed, let alone AMBully.

Until anyone meets a pit bull first hand, they form many opinions about them. I take my boy to work, a few people now love when he comes instead of being afraid as they once were. Sadly I think it can change person by person. I know rotties and dobermans and chows' (and a few others) are not allowed where Pit Bull Type dogs are, they are still under BSL around me and treated the same as pit bull type dogs are. I don't see anything changing with them and I don't think the fight will ever end for the breed in my lifetime anyway.

So basically change one person at a time and one day enough people will be on "our" side, lol.

Reactions: LamLam

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
i think if you want to move the breed out of the thug steriotype then we need to stop doing things like pit bulls and parolees. cant believe people volunterily put the dogs in this kind of light with those people. the people who run that should do something like pit bulls and wounded warriors etc. there are better stories, from people who arent absolute turds. not to mention this breeds been around for how long...the whole thug thing with apbt's is new.

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
well.....exposure is positive on that show. if people just take the title and dont watch....then wtf....
same thing can be said about the dogs, an hour and youll see the bites etc are bs - thats the stupidity of the general public. they cant solve their own problems so they need the cops do it, they take your freedoms to make the job easier...................thats why the u.s. is where its at. the fad needs to die, period. as long as theres shows, especially with " bad ass" parolees, itll always be the same-idiots want these dogs for the wrong reasons...and then those idiots breed garbage and lump theyre ish with good sound dogs and everyone suffers.

BSL is not from dogmens dogs, or dogfighters dogs. its from the general public!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
i think if you want to move the breed out of the thug steriotype then we need to stop doing things like pit bulls and parolees. cant believe people volunterily put the dogs in this kind of light with those people. the people who run that should do something like pit bulls and wounded warriors etc. there are better stories, from people who arent absolute turds. not to mention this breeds been around for how long...the whole thug thing with apbt's is new.
Maybe by the name only, which is how my dog is judged if someone hears about a pit bull they judge. The thing is that's what the show is about. Its about misunderstanding the breed and how parolee's are also misunderstood and not always bad, just like pit bulls are not always bad and can be rehabilitated. If people don't take time to learn that I guess it would be bad, but I think that show does a lot more good than bad. Especially when they talk about respecting all breeds of dogs... I think it helps the image more than hurts it, being associated with people who are paroled to do better, why else would they be on parole.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Pit bulls and parolees is doing more for the breed than DMX ever did. DMX started showing them in several of his videos and in one video "what's my name" had them setup like he was gonna fight two dogs. I hardly ever saw the breed present here in the city up until he became popular. I think the rap era had alot to do with all the wanna be thugs getting into this breed and underground fighting them. As long as there are thugs and scumbags.....I don't ever see this breed getting out of the spotlight. I mean I hate to be "negative nelly" but lets be real.....this breed attracts ALOT of negative attention and for all the wrong reasons. I used to watch all those animal cop shows on animal planet back in the day. What were their shows based out of five or more different states? Shit, about 90% of all the rescues had to be pit bulls or pit bull type dogs. I would like to see BSL diminish and people be more responsible with their dogs but I don't think I will ever see it my lifetime either.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rodrigo, i like the fake news story approach you're taking, and i think it can help some. Amy, i can understand your frustration, but if we don't continue to educate, even one person at a time, then we're basically laying down instead of standing up & fighting. I'm thinking, if we can erase the stereotype, we can put the breed in a better light. But, there inlies the question... How do we get rid of the stereotype?

My suggestion is we go after the 3 biggest venues of negative exposure, i.e., the news, the movies & the internet. We need to counteract every negative thing with a positive thing. If we see a news story talking about the vicious attack on a person, we counteract with a positive story of a therapy dog, or every day dog performing an abnormal feat (not a staged event, but if your dog has protected a child or family member, etc.). It may seem difficult, but i'm sure we can do it.

Bella (sorry, dont know your real name), I can understand your point of view also, but i do believe we can overcome the stereotype, and all that goes with it, if we honestly try. Not saying that any of us aren't, but if we band together, and follow the creed of this website, then it can be done. Increase awareness, Promote responsibility, and do what needs to be done.

My point being, I feel like we're preaching to the choir here on the forum. Sure, we have new members join on a daily basis, but with all of us knowlegeable folks, always having the same discussions amongst ourselves, we're not really educating the masses. Our approach to harping on the new folks who join, mainly the close-minded, inhibits our ability to really spread the word and truly show our breed for what it is, to the ones who need to know.

Reactions: LamLam and ames

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I'd actually like to see these dogs in lower numbers if it meant that the ones that are around are owned by people who know what they're doing. No dog parks, no rampant breeding (including cross breeding without a reason) and no reason for the dogs to get into the news.

We all like to blame the media and governments for BSL but if there were no incidents involving pit bull type dogs there would be no reason for it. If you starve a fire of oxygen it goes out. Same thing here. If you starve the media of incidents then they have no negative stories and the government doesn't get pressured into implementing things like BSL. Eventually the media finds something else to blow out of proportion.

Of course this doesn't solve the problem of people mis-identifying breeds. I'm not sure that can be really educated effectively though because if people aren't interested in dogs they won't care about the differences between breeds. Kind of like my wife and cars. All she sees are different colours. Unless people are interested in something they won't take the time to learn about it.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aus, you have a very good point mate, and i definitely understand where you're coming from. So, how do we find a way to make it interesting enough? And, how do we cut off the oxygen supply, as you say?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Aus, you have a very good point mate, and i definitely understand where you're coming from. So, how do we find a way to make it interesting enough? And, how do we cut off the oxygen supply, as you say?
Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to answer either of those questions completely.

I don't think you can force somebody to learn something they have no interest in. The way I do my small part is by answering people's questions about my dogs as best I can and trying to make them understand that they aren't just any old dogs and have specific requirements because of their breed type.

For example, one of our friends asked me recently if it was cruel to keep our dogs crated while we were out of the house. They were very surprised when I answered by saying "Nitro, in your crate" and watching him come inside the house, open the door of his own crate and go lay down inside it. I then explained that he wouldn't do that if he didn't like the crate.

As to your second question, I think that will be much more difficult to achieve. As it stands now there is a dog available to any moron who wants one. There are some great breeders out there who have screening processes in place and make every effort to ensure the homes their dogs go to are safe and suitable. But for every one of those there are probably ten BYBs who don't know or care where they offload their pups.

So unfortunately we find ourselves back to square one.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think to ensure no incidents would never happen again is unrealistic, ....that's basically telling me that if there were no idiots in the world this wouldn't happen....welll ya... but u cannot exterminate half the world killer lol

i think like everything in life is not what you know but who you know..... we first start by seeing who has a pit bull and has the respect of an audience.....then u appeal to that person to see if they are into the breed enough to fight for it and bring attention to its struggle....

thats one of many ways we can perhaps make our own news....of course aside from my super cool channel 11 news lol

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to answer either of those questions completely.

I don't think you can force somebody to learn something they have no interest in. The way I do my small part is by answering people's questions about my dogs as best I can and trying to make them understand that they aren't just any old dogs and have specific requirements because of their breed type.

For example, one of our friends asked me recently if it was cruel to keep our dogs crated while we were out of the house. They were very surprised when I answered by saying "Nitro, in your crate" and watching him come inside the house, open the door of his own crate and go lay down inside it. I then explained that he wouldn't do that if he didn't like the crate.

As to your second question, I think that will be much more difficult to achieve. As it stands now there is a dog available to any moron who wants one. There are some great breeders out there who have screening processes in place and make every effort to ensure the homes their dogs go to are safe and suitable. But for every one of those there are probably ten BYBs who don't know or care where they offload their pups.

So unfortunately we find ourselves back to square one.
Lol at not smart enough Aus. While I can appreciate your response with the example of your dog kenneling up on his own, I don't necessarily feel that's educating someone on our breed, aside from the fact that they can't be left alone unattended, which is definitely a major factor. My shelter mutt would rather go in his kennel than lay on the couch sometimes. A kennel just goes back to instincts, it acts as a den, a place of solice, comfort and safety in the dog's mind. Please don't take that the wrong way; I just mean we should be educating more about the different breed types currently in existance, and the differences between them. I feel we should be more open about how dangerous the breed can be when in the wrong hands, bred improperly (talking about unstable temperaments and genetic health problems and such). But, you're on the right path.

I think to ensure no incidents would never happen again is unrealistic, ....that's basically telling me that if there were no idiots in the world this wouldn't happen....welll ya... but u cannot exterminate half the world killer lol

i think like everything in life is not what you know but who you know..... we first start by seeing who has a pit bull and has the respect of an audience.....then u appeal to that person to see if they are into the breed enough to fight for it and bring attention to its struggle....

thats one of many ways we can perhaps make our own news....of course aside from my super cool channel 11 news lol
Rodrigo, you're right in the statement that we can't completely eradicate the problem, but we can take action to bring the numbers down. I believe we can get through to the BYBs by beginning with our reputable breeders. I realize that the reputable breeders breed for themselves first, in hopes to produce something better than what they've already got on their yard, but then things happen, go awry, and those dogs bred with a purpose still end up in the hands of people who just want to breed because they've pointed or championed a dog out in the show ring, with no real reason other than to breed. We preach that a person shouldn't breed unless the dog has proven worthy by being titled and tested. But is that really a good enough reason anymore? It starts, I feel, with the so-called reputable, responsible breeders. Like a funnel, it rolls down from there. I know we have a ton of BYBs out there, but think about where they got their dog(s) from. At some point in time, the dogs originated from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
816 Posts
the numbers was something like hundreds of breeders in socal 15 years ago....now we have over 10,000 breeders..... WWIII seems like a more realistic approach lol

idk i look at shelters and i see 2 breeds....pitbulls and chihuahuas....both hated for same reason.....man killers lol

oh snap i need to come up with a costume for samson...i gotta do another "breaking news" in a day or two

1 - 20 of 149 Posts