Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I seen a few dogs that are heavy set, lean, some just nice lean muscular almost no fat. What do i have to do to make my dogs that nice muscular look. they are already solid not fat nice TONE body but how do i get them to be real muscular. I use Dog chow what type of food should I be using if not that?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Excercise, possibly feed less but not sure how much you feed your dog, exercise, and more exercise. The questions you need to ask yourself is how much do you work out your dog. You need to work your dog out for at least 2 hours, and not only walking, but some good hard workouts in order for him/her to feel fully satisfied. So I guess, maybe you should fill us in with more detail as far as how much food you feed, and how much exercise you give your dog. Can you see any ribs on your dog? If you can't see any, then I have read that it means he/she is overweight. Let us know as much details that you can provide and we'll try and help out.

And as far as the Dog Chow, I wouldn't feed that to my dog, it has corn, grain, and by-products in it. I feed my dog Canidae (http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html) take a look and compare the ingredients from the dog chow (http://www.longliveyourdog.com/products/DogChowCompleteNutrition.aspx)

I can't speak from experience of having a lean muscular dog because my dog is only 10 weeks old so far :D .

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
Well, The easiest way to do it is with genetics, Do a search here for Lilbit and you will see.

Exercise and a good diet works too. Don't let anyone tell you that hand walking is over rated. It's highly beneficial in more ways than one..

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
ericschevy said:
Well, The easiest way to do it is with genetics, Do a search here for Lilbit and you will see.

Exercise and a good diet works too. Don't let anyone tell you that hand walking is over rated. It's highly beneficial in more ways than one..
Lilbit has never had a work out program she's just a house dog sleep's in the bed and hardly ever goes out side, she's a couch potato... but her genetic make up make's her look like this...

I think what ericschevy is trying to tell you, is it's all in how your dog is bred as to what it will look like, I don't have to work this dog to look like she does it's all in the way she's bred ;)

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
Eventually I will have Rocky conditioned but he will NEVER look like that^^^

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Genetics plays the biggest part. Proper care, nutrition and exercise help to bring a dog to their full potential; it can not make them any better however then the genes they carry.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A muscular dog is predominantly genetics driven. you can help it along by feeding good food, by working the dog out, running and walking and such, but if a dog is going to be really muscular its in the genes of the dog.

Here is Stringer Bell, he recieves a few walks a day but no true "work out" to speak of... he just has the genetics to be a very muscular dog.

One tip that i will give, Raw meat added to the diet. I am not much for a completely raw diet, but i love to supplement a quality kibble with meat. Tripe, Beef, Chicken, Liver, all served completly raw... phenominal change in the dogs muscle mass, coat, and overall health. I will say the first week or so you ight want to keep the dog close to the door, they will likely get the squirts, but once the system gets used to it, watch out for the results, they come quick.

Reactions: buggleblue

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
He's in pretty good shape as well..:thumbsup:

3,968 Posts
might sound like a broken recored but its mostly genetics. i have had some pits that loved to exersize and were well toned but not muscular like lilbit. they had muscle but just not as aparent. i also had some pits that were built sort of like lil bit but they also loved to exersize and i also had my share of lazy pits who werent so toned or muscular. but for the dogs that were very active and not so lazy during the summer we would go for a few hour hike everyday around his lake it was very rocky and a lot of climbing was involved. they would also stop to swim for a few hours coming out of the water every now and then to rest. they also went swimming in my pool at home i wrestled with all my dogs every day till neither of us could move and some of them loved to play frizbee.

Reactions: buggleblue

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
meno222 said:
my dog is not as muscular as lilbit but he keeps himself in this shape with minimal work. here is his pic
That's one great looking dog.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
Sydney is not as muscular as these dogs but she is just a year old she is very lean I actually feed her quite abit, and her energy level is through the roof, but her only exercise currently is a quick afternoon walk from time to time, and romping around the house with Lady....

Her (unrelated) sister is built completely opposite, Lady is 6 and she is short and kinda stocky...quite a lazy beast as well

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
She looks good as well. Note to anyone wondering about her ribs, it's actually common to be able to see the last two or three ribs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
liljay940 said:
I seen a few dogs that are heavy set, lean, some just nice lean muscular almost no fat. What do i have to do to make my dogs that nice muscular look. they are already solid not fat nice TONE body but how do i get them to be real muscular. I use Dog chow what type of food should I be using if not that?
I hope you not confusing american bullies for pits...........It very rare you see a heavy set pit, unless he or she is quite old.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Marty said:
Lilbit has never had a work out program she's just a house dog sleep's in the bed and hardly ever goes out side, she's a couch potato... but her genetic make up make's her look like this...

I think what ericschevy is trying to tell you, is it's all in how your dog is bred as to what it will look like, I don't have to work this dog to look like she does it's all in the way she's bred ;)
OMG. That dog is INSANE. WOW, very muscular and female!!! I'm impressed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
OUTLAW said:
I hope you not confusing american bullies for pits...........It very rare you see a heavy set pit, unless he or she is quite old.
I heard you should question a pit bulls lineage if he is over 80 pounds. I'm no pit bull expert tho...

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
I'd question any over 60-65 chain weight. Then again I am all for keeping them small and mighty and I'm definitelty no expert either. At 80 pounds I'd say there is no question. LOL:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts