Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some of the threads about this....but I wanted to see what you think of my individual situation. Coop is a 2yo altered male APBT from a rescue. We have a few acres of fields around our house and I have been walking him around here. Today is his 8th day home and he is pretty comfortable.... On the way down the stairs he either waits at the top until I tell him to come down, or walks behind me. At the door I make him sit and wait until I am out the door first. Along our walk I call him back to me: reward him. Ask him to sit: reward him. Ask him to lay: reward him. We are also working on stay from a distance. Sometimes when I am walking him (on a regular walk or a play session) he gets over excited and gets in front of me and kind of nags me for food. First he nags me just by getting in the way, getting too close, sitting in front of me (Look! I am SOOO good, do I get a treat now?). Then it goes on to him jumping up a little (not on me...just in place...or close to me) But then it escalates to him grabbing the leash and trying to play tug of war....of just flopping around like a fish on the end of it. I give the "Nuh-uh!" command I use to indicate that I want him to leave something alone...that doesn't work. So, I have resorted to pulling a treat out, asking him to sit and rewarding him for the sit. I usually bring the tug toy or ball along but he does not always want to trade. :O) Sometimes he doesn't want the treat either. What do I do? I use a 6 foot nylon lead that had a short handle on it and when we go out to play fetch or frisbee/tug of war I have a 25 ft. long lead that I tie around my waist (just for peace of mind....and so I can have two hands free for training/hand signals/etc) and usually keep coiled up in one hand....while I tied a handle onto it at about 6 ft. Number two....he also jumps up and bites blindly towards whatever toy (or leash!) I am holding....usually I ask him to sit. But that doesn't always work and I am afraid he will start to think of sit as a punishment....or even be soooo smart as to know that if he does something bad, then something good, he gets food. He has accidently bitten me before grabbing at the tug toy when I had clearly taken it away.... Also, sometimes (on a seperate occasion) he will put his mouth on my hands (mostly when he is being affectionate).... We start obedience class in a week and a half...

There are other things too....but I thought I would start with this.....
It is the most primary concern for now...

*This morning we played ball on our long lead (Tied around my waist....which is a mistake if your dog goes running at full speed....let me tell you!) and when I decided it was time to go home he began grabbed the leash and began to tug and growl.....
I took it away...asked him to sit: reward lay: reward and then "heel" as I step off and he jumps up to follow. Success.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Good for you for training your new guy it sounds like you are doing a great job. When he tries to go for the leash pop the leash up and tell him NO in a firm voice. You may need a correction collar of some kind if he does not respond to the soft collar. You may need a slip chain or a prong collar to get your point across. Anytime he lunges for the toy and you have not given him permission then you pop the collar and tell him No.I give my dogs a command that means they can grab the toy but if I do not tell them to get it they cannot grab for it. With time he will learn to target the toy but getting bit is all part of the game till he learns to watch what he is doing. Tell him when he grabs you so he learns the feel of your hand not the toy. Make sure you have toys for tugging and never let him grab the leash and play.

If you do not stop the behavior and tell him it is wrong he will not learn to stop. I do not like to redirect them for a problem, I like them to make a choice and in his case..... If I grab the leash I get popped and I do not like that, so I will not grab the leash. Instead of breaking out cookie and doing something else, it does not correct the bad behavior.

One rule I have for mouthing is teeth never touch skin, if you let them do it in play that means they can do it when they are angry and I never want that to be an option. It is best to gently correct the mouthing so it is not a problem later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Great advice. I was wondering about the mouthing....and getting rid of the habit ASAP! He has been doing much better....so far I have not even had to pop the leash....I just say "NO!" and he is like "oh, I am so sorry!" lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts