Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 1/2 year old boy who isn't snipped and my question is this.... I usually keep him in a 4x4 pen under a car port at my house because I often have company over and he likes to jump on them but when everyone leaves I like to take him for a walk and let him inside for a little while.

Once it gets time for me to go to bed I put him back out in his pen. I do have a crate that I purchased when he was a puppy and kept him inside it for his younger years and I would let him out to play in the front yard when he was younger but now he tends to wander off and explore now that he's bigger..

Here's my issue.. A few times I've had him in my room and said screw it if he pees or poops whatever but the first time he literally tore up most my possessions ie wallet,id remote controls etc but another time I relocated items so they weren't accessible to him for the most part.

My question is this.. Once I take him out for a walk to pee/poop should I lock everything up and confine him to my room so he gets used to the house or should I just try to dog proof my house and let him wander as he pleases ? I really want to keep him inside for the colder nights without his crate but I'm concerned he will go ape crap and tear everything up ? My friend suggested to just do it and eventually he will get used to and respect the house but it's a trigger I'm not sure I'm ready to pull yet. He's a saint when I'm with him in the house but when I fall asleep or he's unsupervised he tends to explore...

Sorry for the long post but any input would be appreciated because I don't want to confine my dog to a pen during night time and really want to have house ready. He's 1 1/2 years if that matters and again he doesn't pee or poop in the house be he sure finds things to get into..

Thanks in advance.

MixweLL

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Set the crate up in the living room or in your room and keep him in the crate anytime you can not supervise him. If you are going to take a shower, put him in the crate. If you are making lunch and can pay attention to him, put him in the crate....if you are going out to work, put him in the crate. No exceptions.

This is how you get a dog used to being in the house. When he is out of the crate, you have to watch him, and correct him when he starts to chew things he shouldn't, or pee/poop. Let him out to potty everytime he comes out of the crate. This will get him used to the idea that each time he comes out of the crate means its time to go out and pee/poop.

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
If you want him to sleep with you, or have his own bed in your room, you can try leashing him to the bed. I have fostered a couple of dogs who would wreck the house while I slept. Leashed them to the bed and they were fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.. So it sounds like I should revert back to what I did in puppy phase and have him locked in his crate etc. I used to do that before I came up on his 4x4 pen from a friend but I think that has just made it easier for me to ignore the real desire/expectation I want out of him.

:::COACH::: From your description is this for training for the future or a permanent routine throughout adulthood ? Ideally I would like to be able to leave him in the house for an extended amount of time BUT I do have his 4x4 pen if I cannot. I'd just like to be able to bring him into the house and when I go to bed I can rest assured he can have access to the house and not Fk it up and not have to be confined to my room if at all possible. If not, I can bring him in and crate him at night etc but my ultimate goal is for him to be docile throughout my whole household without me having to keep an eye out 24/7.

Thanks for the input !!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want him to sleep with you, or have his own bed in your room, you can try leashing him to the bed. I have fostered a couple of dogs who would wreck the house while I slept. Leashed them to the bed and they were fine.
Ohh that "little" (i use the term loosely) ham bone has no problem finding me on my bed and coming up to snooze with me.. It was cute when he was a puppy but since he has been outside mainly the little monster really needs a good bath before I let him in my bed for sure because he STINKS !! I don't know how I could leash him to the bed because he'd probably chew through the leash OR the handgrip I'd have to tie him to which is clothe.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
All dogs are different. The more time you stay with him supervising him and showing him what accepted and what isn't the faster you will be able to trust your dog alone. But with that being said some dogs can not be left alone unsupervised ever! They just can't/won't and could be dangerous for them alone if the chew wires or furniture etc. My dog was around a year when I started leaving him outside his crate slowly to see how he did and after a few weeks I went to work. The only thing he messes with is the recycling bins and bathroom trash. I keep my bin on the porch now and shut the bathroom door. My boy went through his teething stage but is not destructive like some pups are.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just got my dog he is not sniped yet his crate is in the den lol.
When he gets out he is a little hyper.but after 15 mins he is fine.
He jumps on people to say hi lol.i have to get him sniped its ny law
In a few weeks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts