Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post so I hope that this is in the correct sub-forum, please move it if needed.

I'm out of town and my brother is watching my dog, King, while I'm gone so I cannot take him to the vet for a few days. I was hoping that some of you have experience with what he is going through so that I could provide some relief until I can take him to the vet.

My brother has told me that he is licking the front paws between the metacarpal and carpal pad until they bleed. He is also chewing on the sides of his back paws. Luckily I have a cone from when my parents dog got fixed so that he can keep him from damaging himself more but I'm not sure what is causing this.

I feed him Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon so I don't think that is the cause and he is walked daily as well as spends time on his spring pole so he is well exercised.

I was just hoping that some of you have some experience with this problem. My brother has sent my some pictures of what is occurring to hopefully narrow the symptoms and I will post them asap. Sorry for such a long post I just hate being away from my boy and hate that he is hurting himself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My golden retriever used to do that when we would go camping and not take her. It is usually a sign of stress, like when birds pluck their feathers ( also had that happen with an African Grey) what I used for my dogs paws was a topical antibiotic with cooling lidocain and frequent soaks until it healed. Hope this helps...

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Could be stress but Could allergies. If food is the same and the dog sitter isn't supplementing with anything additional it could be their cleaning products or detergent. Maybe even reacting to a plant or something outside where they live that thy dot usually encounter. You can ask them to give some Benadryl and see if it helps to stop the licking. Is he was shaking and ear scratching? 1mg per pound

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses it could be stress since we are usually together but he hasn't done this anytime that I have left before. I asked my brother and his isn't giving him anything except his dog food so I'll have to try out some Benadryl. He shakes his head when he wakes up but he does scratch his head throughout the day and I noticed a couple weeks back he had some redness in one of his ears but that went away when I got him some medicated ear rinse, do you think that could be another symptom? Thanks again for any help!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Your last post seems to me to be allergy reactions. If he is staying in someone else's house there is a good chance he is allergic to something there. Do they treat their grass? I would give benedryl until you get home and check into a possible ear infection also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts