Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we were in the vet this week getting calis 3rd set of shots done and the vet asked about her ears and if we are getting them done. We told him we got lunas ears done at another local vet {as when i called our vet they said they dont do them only now to find out he does he just doesnt advertise it as he really trys to sway people away from it}. Well we told him we got lunas ears done by laser and it cost us well over $400 , he shook his head at us and said the laser isnt actually a laser they just use a very hot blade so coterizes it a bit better and they say less bleeding, but he says they dont bleed much anyways. The other vet had us convinced it was an actual laser they use and well worth the extra $200-$300. So now we know for future and can save the money next time as the results wont be any different. Hope this helps any of you who have been considering this and maybe save you some money as well :)

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
interesting

now side note i can tell you he lied about the regular crops not bleeding much, they bleed like a SOB during the procdure but nothing so darastic that i would choose a "lazer" over a regular crop.

thank you for the post good stuff :)

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
That's why I keep all my dogs natural :) unecessary to put a dog through that for the vanity of the owner.

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The vets around Holly's actually use a laser not just a hot knife. The laser is supposed to cut down on healing time as well. I believe Holly might have had one of her dogs done that way. It was the same price or cheaper then a regular crop at a different vet.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya this vet was charging alot more and apparently what he didnt tell us { I found out from my regular vet} its actually one guy who does all the crops in the lower mainland he schedules around at the different clinics so our vet knew he doesnt use a laser. The guy has one price he charges the clinics and the clinics then charge what they want . turned out this vet who we got lunas ears done charged wayyy more then it usually is. very grateful we dont have to use that vet again I cant stand them lol had nothing but problems when we took luna in, her ears turned out great but the people there were not the most professional.

·
3,272 Posts
wow that's jank!!! sorry you got taken advantage of.
Now our clinic DID just get a laser and it has helped a lot with healing from sx and arthritis it has helped so maybe they use something like that!?!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you would think when they say they use a laser that that is exactly what they use :p , I kinda want to keep calis ears the way they are lol so floppy n cute but theboyfriend and most people we talkto want them done :(.
Thats cool they have a laser to treat arthritis, how is it used? we used to have an old barn dog who had the worst arthritis and winter was always tough for him we tried everything we could , found the alphalpha cubes we fed the horses worked amazingly for him turned into a whole different dog after we started those { a equine vet turned us onto those for him} but still had problems on the cold days no matter what. Wish they had the laser around back then ;)

·
3,272 Posts
ya we just got it, there just short treatment about 4 min 3X a week the first week then 2 and so forth so one, i have seen tremendous result.
i love your pups ears too, but i have to say i don't think i will ever have a pit/bully ect without cropped ears if they come to me young enough! Its not the cute puppy i want to take away from, it's the regal looking adult i want them to turn into

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya I see your point with the ears , i like the natural but I always find myself drawn to the adult dogs in pictures who have those nice crops , very eye catching.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just an FYI, the laser cautery isn't any better than the old-school electrocautery. It is just appealing because it has the word laser in it. It can make slightly cleaner cuts, but the shape of the ear is more affected by the suture line.

Someone mentioned they bleed a lot. They only bleed a lot if the procedure is hurried. Ears can be cropped with less than 5 cc of blood loss. The best technique (for the money) is the basic clamp/cut/suture technique. The vet basically sticks a straight clamp on the ear, tightens it down, takes a scalpel and cuts the ear, cauterizes the vessels that are bleeding, releases the clamp, looks for more bleeding vessels to cauterize and then runs the suture. The entire procedure takes less than 20 minutes.

A good vet will do a local bupivicaine/ropivicaine block around the ear which makes the ear numb for 18-24 hours. The dogs don't even know their ears have been cut.

·
3,272 Posts
ya I see your point with the ears , i like the natural but I always find myself drawn to the adult dogs in pictures who have those nice crops , very eye catching.
excatly, when i see pup pics big ears goofy ear or cute ears make me go awww, but when it comes to adults it is always adults with a good crop that just take my breath away in awe of the beauty of the entire dog. I think it just add so much to there look if done correctly! anyway you should post more pics of the pup i LOVE your crew they rock!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts