Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are very upset and devastated right now. Yesterday Bumble bee had a small allergic reaction to something and as of last night Lil Momma was bitten by a snake. Most likely a rattle snake as its there time to come out right now. She is being treated the best we can ( We had vet fees on Bumble yesterday so are funds are getting short.) She has not died yet so the chance of poison is slim mostly are treating her for infection and anit venom will not really help since we don't know what bit her just that it was a snake. We are giving her some antihistamines and the vet is hoping she will pull thru Due to the fact that we caught it late but it hasn't killed her yet so she may have a chance.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
I'm Sorry! Keep your head up as I will keep both of your pups in my prayers, but especially Lil Momma! Hope she gets better soon!

·
Registered
452 Posts
That is devistating, I am sorry to hear about the tough time with your two dogs. Hopefully it wasn't a poisonous snake and everything will be ok. Sending healing thoughts to you and both your dogs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've seen a couple of pits snake bit and all of them pulled thru make sure she takes plenty of water if she dosen't you can give her injections of pedialyte under the skin along her backbone in a couple of differant places to keep her hydrated it will also help bring her fever down quicker but the venom will have to run it's course pits are real tough when it comes to snake bites make sure to keep a close eye on her and keep the vets number handy but i think she will pull through

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Info I've been able to come up with so far for you...

If it was a rattlesnake, then (assuming she's an adult) give her about 20 ml of dex, 5 ml injected into in each shoulder and ass cheek ...

Give this amount of dex now, and then repeat again every morning for 2 more days ...

Give her cephalexen, 500 mg 3x/day (ev 8 hours) for two weeks ...

Have Betadine onhand to treat any infection ...

This is all I can come up with so far...

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ty you guys. She has been to the vet and they have done what they can with the money I can provide at this time. Taking her into the emergency alone was an arm and a leg. She was giving an antibiotic shot from them and received Vit C, Benadryl and buttermilk first thing this morning. Since she is only 16 wks she has less of a chance and because she was bitten yesterday but we where not aware till this morning as I was at the vet and treating Bumble Bee for her allergic reaction. Bumble Bee is completely fine now but Momma is barley hanging on. She is hydrated I have her on I.V. here at home.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Did the vet give the butter milk or did you, ( it;s not going to hurt) This is just what I've been told so I really need to know, I was told this from a old dog man.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Also go through here...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rattlesnake+bite+"dog"+Treatment&btnG=Search

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the vet give the butter milk or did you, ( it;s not going to hurt) This is just what I've been told so I really need to know, I was told this from a old dog man.
No it is something I knew of and gave her first thing this morning when I realized it was a snake bite. I told the vet I what I gave her and he said all of it will help. The only emergency vet is a town away so I gave her what I could on the way. Vet said good call so I hope it helped.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I didn't know about the buttermilk thing, thats good info. We have a lot of rattlers out here too, luckily though they tend to stay out of the valley but we do take the dogs out to the dunes every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
No it is something I knew of and gave her first thing this morning when I realized it was a snake bite. I told the vet I what I gave her and he said all of it will help. The only emergency vet is a town away so I gave her what I could on the way. Vet said good call so I hope it helped.
Read my PMs

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I contacted the vet again about an anti venom shot and and I guess they gave her one this morning (for rattlers ) with the antibiotic ( I am pretty stressed I guess I missed him saying thats what the other shot was), but he doesn't think that it was a snake with venom or the snake didn't release much venom because she should be in much worse shape if it had been.But since we only know it was a large snake but not what kind that doesn't help much. He said all we can do now is see if she can clear and toxins and fight infection. So she is laying in my bed next to me and we are just doing what we can from here.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
oh my gosh holly! You're just having a terrible time with those wild critters! I'll keep you and your pup family in my prayers!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well she is doing very well now and should live fine. However one of her front legs has suffered some nerve damage so it is possible that she will never be able to work or show. We of course are just glad she is alive!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts