Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an impromptu playdate with the neighbor's golden and lab mix puppy, which involved much running around and general chaos, Kane came up majorly lame on his right rear leg.

A couple of months ago, he also came up lame on that same leg, but that was over the course of a couple of weeks, starting with a slight, almost unnoticeable limp before progressing into a noticeable limp, but only after significant exercise and he could usually "walk it off". I took him in to the vet, who manipulated his leg, testing the joints for any soreness. Kane being a pittie didn't show any reaction to any spots she touched or pressed, and he was still willing to put weight on the leg and to use it as normal except for the slight limp. She diagnosed a soft tissue issue and prescribed some Rimadyl for the pain and strict crate rest. I might not have been as strict with the crate rest towards the end because both the puppers and I were going stir crazy, but his lameness went away.

Or so I thought until today--I think. His lameness is pretty bad. He won't put weight on the leg even when he's standing, not even a toe-touch most of the time ... when he sits, he splays it out in front of him so it's not bent as much, and when he lays down, he doesn't use the leg to do it. He relies on his left one completely.

I've been at work for the past 8 hours so he's been crated and, while with his previous lameness I saw a tiny improvement while he was crated the first night, he's just as bad after 8 hours of crate rest as he was before. He's not using the leg at all.

I'm pulling him from the 4th of July parade and seeing how he does on strict crate rest, leashed potty breaks, and absolutely no jumping, but is there anything else I can do for him? Should I bite the bullet and schedule a vet appt?

I can't really afford it right now as his heat stroke incident sucked up all the money that was going towards his last vet visit, when I did pretty much everything: heartworm/flea/tick preventative for 6 months, an x-ray to check his hips/elbows since I want to do sports with him, his last series of vaccinations for the next 3 years except for rabies. AND then my car broke down, LOL.

But the vet has the last payment on what I owe them next Friday when I get paid and they'll probably let me squeeze him in if I really need to.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
awww poor boy cant catch a break can he? is there any swelling anywhere or heat? if there is maybe icing it down a couple times during the day? Id get a vet check maybe when you can afford it and get an xray see if maybe there could be a hairline fracture or something that would cause the reoccuring lameness. Until then I think you are doing everything right. Hope he improves , Id keep his play dates off until a vet can confirm its only a soft tissue issue and its 100% healed. Give im hugs and smooches 4 me :)

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
if I may.. also check all the nails, and pads (im sure you have) check all up in them feet for,,,FOD--foreign objects or debris ..

just a thought:hug:

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
id say try to wrap it up like you would for a sprained ankle couldnt hurt. and of course try to keep him off of it.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
You could call your vet to see what his/her recommendations are until you are able to take Kane in.
Hope he feels better soon =)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Strict crate rest for as long as he needs it. I had to keep Bella on crate rest a few months back for ten days and I wouldn't even let her walk to go potty outside. I would pick her up and carry her to the spot and let her go. Then I would carry her back in. She also was fed in her crate and I just left a bowl of fresh water in there at all times. Saved myself a $300 trip to the vet. I also started her on MSM and glucosamine supplements from the advice of Lisa aka performancekennels ;) Bella is better than ever :) I hope kane will be okay and its just a little soft tissue injury. Hugs to your boy! I would recommend supplements if he keeps having reoccuring joint issues. Start them now is my advice :)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your tips and well wishes!

I did check his foot yesterday when it happened, all the pads and toes. I also didn't notice any heat or swelling, although I found it hard to tell with his muscle-y turkey legs, LOL.

But I suppose last night I jumped the gun a little and might have been too worried about not seeing an improvement during the 8 hours of crate rest, haha.

When we woke up this morning (I carried him up 15 steps to my bedroom, and lifted him up and down off my bed, which he did NOT appreciate, looool), he was doing MUCH MUCH better.

He's willing to do more than even a toe-touch, setting his whole foot down so the entire pad of the foot touches. He's also willing to walk on it, so his limp has gotten a lot better and isn't quite AS noticeable as yesterday, and he's using it as leverage to get himself up and down from a sitting/laying position.

I am still going to do the "crate rest" regimen (by which I mean he's going to do jack-crap all day except chew on his favorite stuffed toy and lay on the couch next to me while *I* do jack-crap on my day off, LOL).

Thanks for the tip about the supplements; I'll look into them for sure. What is MSM?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thanks guys for your tips and well wishes!

I did check his foot yesterday when it happened, all the pads and toes. I also didn't notice any heat or swelling, although I found it hard to tell with his muscle-y turkey legs, LOL.

But I suppose last night I jumped the gun a little and might have been too worried about not seeing an improvement during the 8 hours of crate rest, haha.

When we woke up this morning (I carried him up 15 steps to my bedroom, and lifted him up and down off my bed, which he did NOT appreciate, looool), he was doing MUCH MUCH better.

He's willing to do more than even a toe-touch, setting his whole foot down so the entire pad of the foot touches. He's also willing to walk on it, so his limp has gotten a lot better and isn't quite AS noticeable as yesterday, and he's using it as leverage to get himself up and down from a sitting/laying position.

I am still going to do the "crate rest" regimen (by which I mean he's going to do jack-crap all day except chew on his favorite stuffed toy and lay on the couch next to me while *I* do jack-crap on my day off, LOL).

Thanks for the tip about the supplements; I'll look into them for sure. What is MSM?
Let me get you the website PK gave me for the MSM and Glucosamine.....give me a minute to find it ;)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts