Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed that Lina has been limping when she's walking around the house. But when we're outside on a walk/run, she doesn't limp at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem? Is she just faking it for attention or do you think she's legitimately hurt?

I also notice she's been licking her front legs more often than normal. She'll do it every now & then like right after we've been playing with either a bone or a rope, but I notice her doing it more frequently.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
816 Posts
my boy just got over his limping. he s been trying to keep up with a staffy bull terrier that out accelerates him and has twice his energy.....so crate rest was recommended by my breeder and i gave him some rest and indeed it worked.

in your case you first need to rule out physical issues...long nails curled up...stuck rock between the fingers, .... injury ...etc etc..... try to isolate which leg it is and look for obvious signs....if nothing pops out then rest your dog and if after couple days it persists go to vet.

my 3 cents

samson wouldnt limp running only walking

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I would do as stated above go over her leg and paw very carefully with good light, rule out any small cut or splinter . Check for any areas with swelling or heat . If nothing I would put on crate rest and only do hand walks for the week , dont let her run around. Alot of times they can hide pain or if it feels better for a short time they get running and re injur it. Could be a sprain or pulled something. If after the week of crate rest and hand walking you see her still limping or messing with that leg I would have it checked out by a vet to rule out anything more serious like a tear. DO not let her bounce around or run for this week , give it a chance to heal.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Yeah, I think she is might be masking the pain while running, but running and walking use different parts of the paw, so I am leaning towards that root as well. I don't think the issue is looking for attention. Check between the pads and on the nails for a splinter like Angel said. maybe soak the paw in some warm water for 10 minutes and see if anything comes to the surface that might be stuck,

·
Registered
901 Posts
When Beastley started doing this. We maintained rest for two weeks. Shortly after that he started favoring the leg and randomly lifting it. This increased and even with the rest is appeared to get worse. I took him to the vet and he had a luxating patella which did require surgery some time in the future. We babied it for a year then he rarely ever put it down. 2 weeks ago he had surgery on it and he is doing amazingly well. The vet was impressed with his healing. He said it could take 6mths to a year before it is completely healed, dependent on the dog and how "active" he is. He are only allowed on leash potty breaks for the next month and he will look at it then to see about an increase in his movement.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I'll keep an eye on her and probably keep her from running for a while to see if that helps out. I'll let yas all know.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts