Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99.9% of the time loco is and angel....but that 1% its time to bring out the muzzle. yes i know he is still young and some people just think its "cute" when his HA comes out because hes still little. but all see and think about when he does this is how much of a problem it will be when hes 100lbs of muscle, and i will no longer be able to control him...
today i had to bring him to the vet to get some staples out, it took me the vet tech and the vet to hold him and loco is only 4months and about 30lbs. the vet had to put a muzzle on him so he would bite. and when i say bite i dont mean puppy bites i mean full on growling, bearing teeth, honest to god bites!!! i know that this problem has to be stopped now while hes young. when he gets in this "mood" i try to calm him down by pulling him away from the situation(sp) and laying him on his side till he calms down and for the most part it works, but in a couple months im not going to be able to do that....
do yall have any ideaswhy he shows this extream aggression at such a young age and maybe know any ways i can stop it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
At the vet I can understand a little more. Its kind of a scarey place and he is probably very frightened, not to mention he got staples IN last time and now they are yanking him out, it probably hurts!

I haven't had to deal with HA so I can only guess, but it is NOT something that should ever ever be tolerated. Most of the time HA dogs are put down. If it where me I would hire a private trainer that specializes in behavior problems and have him evaluated. It needs to be taken care of before he really does bite someone and its another 'Vicious Pitbull attack' in the paper!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i would say try to consult your trainner or either ask your vet, maybe they will be able to give you some advice that will help. but make sure your trainer is educated on the breed, speak with them and get a feel for them, you'll usually be able to tell if they are BS'ing you.i've found that just b/c someone is a 'dog trainer' doesn't mean they know how to train a powerful breed. but i would try to stop it now while you have control over him, i'm kinda in the same boat, kolby wants to charge ppl when they walk thru the back gate and he's in the yard, he's not showing teeth or growling, but likes to jump.GOOD LUCK!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
First off I would stop alpha rolling him. When he is acting up take him and seperate him in a dark place. Do not let him play rough I know it is hard but this only adds to your touble as he gets way to excited. When he is playing with you and starts to bit tell him no and walk away if he continues put him in a kennel to cool his jets.

I think that unless you know exactly what you are doing alpha rolls are for trainers only. JMHO

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off I would stop alpha rolling him. When he is acting up take him and seperate him in a dark place. Do not let him play rough I know it is hard but this only adds to your touble as he gets way to excited. When he is playing with you and starts to bit tell him no and walk away if he continues put him in a kennel to cool his jets.

I think that unless you know exactly what you are doing alpha rolls are for trainers only. JMHO
i completely agree about the alpha roll but sometimes its the only way i can calm him down with out gettin bit.
and he doesnt just act up at the vets just yesterday he was starting to make karma mad so to avoid a fight i went up to him and tried to pick him up so karma didnt end up bitting him and he bit me on the arm...then i was mad and in pain so i just throw him in his cage because i had to tend to my arm.
just two seconds ago he was nippy at snoop which is NOT a good thing, so again tring to avoid having a dead puppy i went to pick him up and i had to put my shoe in front of his face so he wouldnt bite me. now i have to pick him up by his scruff cuz he learned that he can turn his head around when im holding him with two hands....

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
with our last pups, they were taken from the mom at 2or3 days old so they didnt learn learn the normal things and get the corrections from her so we had these vicious little devils that would shake their head when they bit you. and sometimes pups forget what mom has taught them so he might just need a refresher. Sandy would correct their bite by taking the scruff and kinda shake them back and forth a little and say no no no. then she would turn and ignore them. it worked pretty quik. it made them feel bad for dissapointing her. dont try to pick him up if its a problem, just use his collar to pull him out of the situation.be consistant and he will learn everything. puppies are a bitch and then they grow up and you miss the puppy stuff, funny huh?

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
He is young and is going to test his boundries, esp. with you and the other dogs. He is trying to find his place in your pack. He will try to challenge your other dogs for rank.
It is just natural for them to do this...it is instinctive.
Stronger ones lead..weaker ones follow. All pups..IMO...esp. males do alot of challenging.
As far as you..you need to be stern but calm with him. You need to make him realize that you are pack leader and fighting among YOUR pack will not be tolerated.
If he is in an aggressive state remove him totally from the situation and put him up either in a crate, another room or outside in a kennel.
Do not holler at him, but talk to him in a stern calm voice that demands authority.
Do not rough house with him till he learns the rules. If he tries to rough house with you..tell him no and give him a chew toy instead.
If he is nipping at you..grab his muzzle and hold it tight for a few seconds and tell him "no bite" and get up and walk away. If he continues to bite add more pressure to his muzzle each time.
He is a pup and has to learn just like a toddler has to learn. He is all about play, play, play right now and trying to show off.
Just be firm with him.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
True aggression in an APBT even at a young age is a sign of an extremely unstable temperament.

Is this a purebred APBT you are talking about?
Sorry I'm bad about remembering every dog because I'm on several forums.

Are you sure it is HA and not a spoil rotten puppy that hasn't been taught any manners? If so get a behaviorist or Bully savvy trainer to eval the pup asap and a full physical and blood work.

If the eval is Ok than start NILIF and basic obedience training asap

What is the temperament of this pup's parents like?

If he came from a breeder I'd call the breeder asap and see if any of the other pups are having issues?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts