Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so last night my little prince was sleeping on his back, all 4 up in the air, at the end of the bed. He got to dreaming and rolled over OFF THE BED and hurt his back left leg. I think when he rolled he got it stuck between the mattress and footboard. He cried for what seemed like hours and I cried with him. I called the ER vet and they were well useless. Basically they said if he was probably just being a baby since it was his first time hurting himself. He will let us move it and it's just a little swollen, but he is still favoring it. I talked to my mom this morning and her vet prescribed her dog for a similar accident tramadol. I am actually prescribed tramadol for my own back because of bad ATV wreck over Spring Break when I was life-flighted. Anyways... I called the vet again and asked about the tramadol and they told me why yes you can give him tramadol but we can't tell you how much! SOOOO... I looked it up online and it said .45-1.8 mg per lb of body weight. I am worried about giving him anything at all, but I know the little dude is hurting. If he is still favoring it tomorrow I am going to go ahead and take him in. They told me to just watch him for a few days and luckily his daddy gets to stay home with him everyday! I am just so worried. He looks so sad.. =(((

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
So sorry this happened!

My 5 month old puppy fractured her back leg on Sunday and is currently prescribed Tramodol. She’s taking 25mg every 12 hours and weighs about 35lbs. She slipped on the back steps during a rain storm on Sunday afternoon. Scary how little it takes to cause such an injury. She cried for all of a minute before sucking it up and carrying on, but favoring that back leg. A trip to our regular vet confirmed the break and she’s having surgery to pin the leg this Friday.

This is just my opinion, but x-rays are relatively inexpensive and taking him in to determine the extent of the injury (and get his own Rx so he doesn’t have to use your meds) is probably a good idea. Especially since there is swelling and he is still favoring the leg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so sorry too!!! That's terrible! Yes.. we have decided he has to go in now! They said to just watch him for a couple days and if he'll let us move it and we didnt see any noticeable deformities that he would probably be fine. Still hearing your story scares me to death!!!! He thinks he's mighty man all the time and jumps off the bed but this time it was way different. I feel so horrible for him.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I definitely wasn't trying to scare you. My situation is what it is. One of those things you have to be prepared for when you choose to own pets. Sure wish it hadn't happened but nothing we can do now but get her the proper care and on the road to recovery. I actually didn't think she had broken it, I thought dislocated maybe. I just know that these dogs are good at hiding when they are in pain so the point when they are showing obvious signs, you know they're hurting :(

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
A friend if mine had their pup jump off the bed and shattered the elbow....poor pup was screaming :( however, after surgeries he is good to go and can even weight pull, etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jeesh, I'm so sorry!

My guy used to nosedive off the couch and crash HARD into the corner of the coffee table like, daily as a little pup. He was always fine though, and never seemed to notice.

Fingers crossed for you guys!

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
Vet to be absolutely sure!!
inspect the leg to see if it is broken. Possibly wrap with a sock and electrical tape to apply slight pressure to the injury. Antibiotic if swollen.
pups are tuff and should bounce back..keep us posted!! hate to hear that!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can tell they're good about hiding their pain. He cried for a while and I did too even after he stopped lol. He came and sat in my lap and licked my face almost as if to tell me it's okay mom. I thought about wrapping it myself and when I get home I am going to go ahead and give him a sliver of one of my tramadols. It's not outrageously swollen but it is noticeable. I'd do anything for my little man so if something is wrong I am prepared for it! He's acting like himself and wanting to play. Even getting a little pissy when he's not allowed too lol.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I dunno, maybe give him children's Tylenol for pain or something like that since the tramodole wasn't prescribed by your vet. Your dog was not seen by a vet either, how can a vet tech over the phone be sure he even needs it? That's just my opinion though, he's your dog you gotta do whatever you feel comfortable doing. I just wouldn't feel comfortable giving my puppy medication that wasn't prescribed to him. I look at things like this when it comes to Diesel, "would I let a baby eat that?" "Would I give that to a baby?" If the answer is no and it's not safe for a baby, then same applies to my puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
childs asprin is ok - they actually sell something similar for dogs also. Great add Dmommie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good point! I sometimes don't think of the baby thing since I don't have any kids of my own lol! (well besides lo!)

We did take him to the vet last night and he okay'd using 1/4 of one my tramadols every 8-12 hrs. He said they were a better brand than the ones he had. He said Loki was okay and didn't have any broken bones. Just a deep bruise and maybe a pinched nerve that would work itself out. He was walking on it on and off before I got home from work yesterday, but we took him just to be sure.

Thanks for all your input!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would be more scared of that vet then I would be of your pup being hurt! I don't mean to be harsh but you never should give your dog YOUR tramadol because yours is a better brand then his. I never heard a vet say probably a deep bruise or a pinched nerve and it will work itself out. Either it is or it isn't. It seems to me (from what you are writing), he never took xrays. He just took your money for a generic response. I personally would have some serious questions/concerns about this vet. Never ever give your dog Tylenol. It is toxic to dogs. Use baby aspirin or regular aspirin. Your pup should be on bed rest (crated) for 2 weeks, on a leash for potty breaks and unfortunately no play. This will give your little guy time to heal. Ice it if he will allow. If after 2 weeks he still shows signs of limping or being in pain. I would go to a different vet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank u for ur opinion. I respect it and you do have every right to give it. However, I do have a great vet with exceptional qualifications. I do my research as does any intelligent person should. Vets are kind of like doctors in my opinion. You may not like one that I like, but that doesnt mean he isnt qualified or intelligent enough to give a diagnosis. Yes.. you are correct about the tylenol. Tylenol, ibuprofen, and aspirin thin the blood too much and it can be fatal. I would never give him that. Loki is perfectly fine. He is getting around great. I'm not going to fully justify the fact that Loki took my tramadol instead of him getting his own rx. A tramadol is a tramadol and there are several manufacturers of it. Generic or name brand. As with any type of medication. Thanks for your input. I can appreciate honesty and a good rebuttal. It's the lawyer in me!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: Rudy4747

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would be more scared of that vet then I would be of your pup being hurt! I don't mean to be harsh but you never should give your dog YOUR tramadol because yours is a better brand then his. I never heard a vet say probably a deep bruise or a pinched nerve and it will work itself out. Either it is or it isn't. It seems to me (from what you are writing), he never took xrays. He just took your money for a generic response. I personally would have some serious questions/concerns about this vet. Never ever give your dog Tylenol. It is toxic to dogs. Use baby aspirin or regular aspirin. Your pup should be on bed rest (crated) for 2 weeks, on a leash for potty breaks and unfortunately no play. This will give your little guy time to heal. Ice it if he will allow. If after 2 weeks he still shows signs of limping or being in pain. I would go to a different vet.
Also, and I don't mean to be harsh either when I point this out but what makes it better for me or for my dog to listen your advice and give children's aspirin which without proper dosage could severely thin my dogs blood and kill it than listen to a credentialed veterinarian? It's fairly contradictive. Not saying all vet's are the best or anything like that and I am also not saying I don't value everyone's input etc. It is all greatly appreciated. I did post about what happened Lo to inform others of what happened and all the feedback was intended to give me a solid idea of what to do and what questions to possibly ask the vet when/if we did take him and it did just that. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts