Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just trying to see if anyone out there is from Long Island. I live in Suffolk County, a new owner to the breed. I was wondering if there are any groups out there, also if anyone in the area shows there dog. Once Athena gets older i want to train her and show her. When im out with her we sometimes go to Smithpoint beach, and the shirley dog park. Again if there is a pitbull community on Long Island that is active in doing things with the dogs i would love to know. Well see you around.

· Registered
225 Posts
Most people w/ bully breed dogs will tell you to avoid dog parks...basically because of the possibility of dog aggression bully types are susceptible to. If your dog should get into a fight w/ a non bully for whatever reason, you will be blamed and your dog will suffer the consequences. There's a current 'Suffolk' story in the news, you may have read about it... a 'pit bull' was just euthanized for human aggression...turns out the dog didn't even bite the 'victim', but he was a 'pit bull'..therefor guilty. better be safe than sorry.
The other issue is...you have a puppy...you don't know if other peoples dogs are carrying diseases, and puppies are more at risk than adults...parvo, an often fatal disease, for example, is very common on LI. It's a virus and can be spread in such ways as through a sick dogs poop. The virus can live in the ground for many years.
If you don't know anyone with a well cared for dog you can socialize your pup with...and If you're willing to travel to Brooklyn, or Manhattan...there is a pit bull dog club which meets regularly in parks on weekends with dogs. Its called the 'pit bull / pit bull mix rescue group' and you can join online through 'meetup', just google meetup.

· Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, you definitely just opened a can of worms with the whole "dog park" issue. Most will argue that it's best to air on the side of caution and avoid a potentially dangerous situation and avoid the dog park. Alongside viruses, fights are VERY common in dog parks, especially when you mix neutered and un-neutered dogs. i've seen quite a few in the past year, when i walk my dog around our local park. we will sit and watch, other dogs play, and yes, fights are a BIG thing. Everything that Joewilly said is very true and should be taken into much consideration. Definitely post up some pics, would love to see pics of Athena. If you worry about exercising her, don't worry TOO much as she is too young for strenuous exercise. Let her be a puppy and dont run her for very long. If you want to socialize her, get together with a couple of friends who you know have well-tempered dogs, and have her play in a CONTROLLED environment. (most dog parks are uncontrolled and people rather socialize amongst themselves than pay attention to their dogs). Good luck with everything, and let us know what you do! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.