Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts/Suggestions Welcome!!!!

I'm looking into adopting a Pit Puppy that was dropped off at a shelter but is now in the care of a rescue group and also happens to be in a foster home. I already have an English Bulldog rescue but I want to get her a playmate. We adopted out EB in Oct when she was 11 mos old - she was the first dog I have had that wasn't a 5- 7lb ankle bitter. She weights 47lbs and is great - I started training from Day 1 - I live by the Cesar Millan's 3 basics - Exercise, Discipline, Affection and it works for us.
After having her - I love the Meaty /Tough dogs. We had look at getting another EB but we have racked up the Vet Bills getting her to a good place.

One thing I worry about is that we have a 7lb 7.5 yr old female non spayed Poodle - she just avoids out EB unless they are in their crates or waiting to get feed. Any other time she does want to be bothered - our EB just wants to play but the Poodle not having it.

Here is a pic below of the pup - I'm thinking it's going to be one of the short type Pits. I also included what is listed on its adoption Profile.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Jack is a special little fellow with quite the story to tell! He is approximately a 6-7 weeks old, male blue brindle Pittie pup. He was ditched at the local shelter by a breeder after he was injured. Seems he was wrestling with his litter mates, when someone stepped on him just the wrong way. His cornea was punctured and he lost sight in his right eye. The kind lady that desserted him did offer to bring back his "registration papers" but the shelter staff declined. Thankfully, the staff saw that Jack had such an amazing spirit! They contacted ABARC and asked if we could help. Because we agreed, they were able to save his life and have his injured eye removed before he was put to sleep. Over the last two weeks Jack has been healing and adjusting to life away from mom and siblings. He has taken a liking to another 3 month old pup in the house, as well as a 60 pound labradoodle who is great fun to wrestle with! The only good news to Jack being injured, is that it happened early enough on that he will never remember life with two eyes! He may look a little different, but missing his eye isn't slowing him down one bit. Jack will be back at the vet this week to have his stitches removed and to be neutered.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Poor baby boy! He looks like a sweet heart but word to the wise, pit bulls generally don't make good "play mates". They have a tendency towards dog aggression and there is always the possibility that they will not get along with other dogs.

That beings said, if you are prepared for that eventuality and the possibility of having to crate and rotate down the road then by all means, adopt. Always love to hear of happy endings for rescues :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
awww poor pup!! that's great you want to rescue him, but like the above post said, pits don't need playmates. Even raised in the same house with other pets from the beginning, they may one day have dog aggression. If you get him, please do not ever leave this boy alone with any animal, ever. And know that one day he may not be able to "play" with any other dog or animal. As long as your prepared for that, I say go for it and look forward to seeing him grow with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts