Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am new here. In the past, I've owned a female fawn boxer dog, named Roxie,(seen in my avatar) who lived until the ripe old age of 13(old for a boxer),but sadly passed away about 3 years ago.

She was incredibly sweet and I didn't think I could find a dog sweeter than her until I meant a couple of pitbulls and pitbull mixes.

My first encounters were with a mostly white pitbull who seemed to be blind in both eyes(poor thing :( ) at a a rescue adoption event being held at either a Petco or Petsmart. He was very sweet. If you put your hand near him to pet him, he would rub his body gently up against it to beg you to pet him and if you walked away, he would whine for you to come back and wag his tail whenever someone approached him.

The second ecounter was at a similar event but this time with a pitbull-boxer mix. I liked her because she reminded me of my old boxer. Although she didn't do they hand rubbing thing, she still really enjoyed being pet and would also whine if you walked away.

Another encounter was when I was younger and one roamed into my aunt's yard. I played with the dog for the longest time and it wasn't aggressive at all and seemed to really enjoy the attention(I know now this was a bad idea to play with a strange dog regardless of its breed,but wasn't thinking at the time. I can't say I regret it though.)

The third encounter was with my friend who I just meant this year in college's pitbulls. At first she told me they were catahoulas,but I didn't buy it since my vet teacher in high school's teacher friend who came to visit our class with his dog alot had a purebred catahoula(catahoula leopard dog). I asked her if they were mixes and she admitted they were really pitbulls.

I looked into the matter and found out that some people are crossing american bulldogs and/or pitbulls to catahoula leopard dogs and calling them a breed called a catahoula bulldog. Beautiful dogs,but far from being a breed. They aren't recongized by any major kennel club and the appearance of them from different breeders that I've seen has been drastically different ranging from looking like purebred catahoulas(catahoula leopard dogs) to looking like american bulldogs with catahoula colors to looking like pitbulls with catahoula colors.

I am not sure about my friend's dogs though. They were not a blue merle color like the catahoulas. They were more of a light/medium brown color with darker brown spots on them that was sort of similiar to the blue catahoula pattern,but not exactly. They have distinctly bulldog/pitbull-like faces which is what gave them away along with their non-blue coat color.

I am finally ready to move on from my old boxer and am looking into getting a new dog when the time is right(i.e. I don't live in an apartment with stupid breed bans and a roomate who hates dogs).

I am most interested in either another boxer, a pitbull, an american staffordshire terrier, a catahoula bulldog, or pitbull-boxer mix(now apparently being marketed as a designer dog called a Bullboxer Pit. Pretty dumb name,but the mix I met at the adoption event was a very sweet dog that seemed to combine the best of both breeds).

I love both boxers and pitbulls and boxer-pitbull mixes because they are all extremely intelligent, gentle, friendly dogs despite the bad reputation the media unfairly gives them. I have not had any personal experience with am staffs or catahoula bulldogs,but I have read that they have simliar friendly, social, and gentle personalitiies to the breeds I listed above.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :) Congrats on having a boxer that long....I've known very few that have lived into their teens. All died of some type of cancer that is typical in the breed. So, what are you actually looking to do with this dog? Are you going to show in confirmation, agility, or obedience etc.? If you are looking for just a pet and go with a pit bull type dog then perhaps adoption would be the avenue to take because of the amount of pit bull type dogs in shelters. I've seen plenty of boxer/pits come out of the pounds and personally I'm quite sick of people slapping two dogs together and tying a "designer name" to it! People are idiots ;) Most boxers I have met are total wiggle butts and love everyone although I have a man up the street from me who has two males that not only fight with eachother but one in particular is HA and will stand on it's hind legs trying to get at a person. Pretty scary! Are you prepared to deal with dog aggression that runs in the American pit bull terrier? How about energy level? APBT's are a working breed and need an outlet to excercise their minds as well as their bodies. If you want a dog that's a little lower key then maybe an Amercian bully or staff would work better for you. I'm not to familiar with American bulldogs and catahoulas other than the few I've met. A friend of mine has an HA AB but I have met alot that are sweet. I love catahoula's but only ever met two so don't really know much about them other than what their purpose is and I was aware of them being mixed to make bigger catch dogs. Anyways, I think your best bet is to look around the forum, read up, and ask lots of questions before you make the final decision :)

·
Banned
20 Posts
Well bred Catahoula Bulldogs are beautiful animals. Unfortunately finding a good breeder is hard to come by nowadays - most I've seen aren't quite what I remember with my grandfather's dogs when he bred them.

As Bella said there is dog aggression in APBTs. Maybe in that regard it'd be better if you adopt to adopt a puppy / younger animal as then it'd be a bit more controllable / retrainable than having a "brute" on the end of the leash.

But welcome anyways, I'm kind of new here too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum :) Congrats on having a boxer that long....I've known very few that have lived into their teens. All died of some type of cancer that is typical in the breed. So, what are you actually looking to do with this dog? Are you going to show in confirmation, agility, or obedience etc.? If you are looking for just a pet and go with a pit bull type dog then perhaps adoption would be the avenue to take because of the amount of pit bull type dogs in shelters. I've seen plenty of boxer/pits come out of the pounds and personally I'm quite sick of people slapping two dogs together and tying a "designer name" to it! People are idiots ;) Most boxers I have met are total wiggle butts and love everyone although I have a man up the street from me who has two males that not only fight with eachother but one in particular is HA and will stand on it's hind legs trying to get at a person. Pretty scary! Are you prepared to deal with dog aggression that runs in the American pit bull terrier? How about energy level? APBT's are a working breed and need an outlet to excercise their minds as well as their bodies. If you want a dog that's a little lower key then maybe an Amercian bully or staff would work better for you. I'm not to familiar with American bulldogs and catahoulas other than the few I've met. A friend of mine has an HA AB but I have met alot that are sweet. I love catahoula's but only ever met two so don't really know much about them other than what their purpose is and I was aware of them being mixed to make bigger catch dogs. Anyways, I think your best bet is to look around the forum, read up, and ask lots of questions before you make the final decision :)
Thank you. Yes. She did live really long for a boxer,but we think cancer might have been what killed her,but we aren't sure. We just woke up one morning and even though she was perfectly fine the day before other than her usual old age incontinence issues, when we tried to let her out to potty, she couldn't stand up. She tried to stand up but she fell back down because her back legs were totally limp and useless all of a sudden. Given her age and sudden and unexpected serious physical conditon, we made the hard decision to end her suffering. We couldn't stand seeing her like that. :cry:

I think it may have been unnoticed cancer that spread to her back legs. :(

But we were very lucky to have her for that long considering most boxers in the US only live to about 8 to 9 years of age. I've heard that the ones in Germany live longer becuase they aren't as inbred,but I don't know if this is true or not.

But yes, unfortunately, boxers have tons of health problems. That's part of the reason of what attracted me to pitbulls. They have the temperment of a boxer,but they aren't as unhealthy a breed. That's not to say that they don't have their own health issues,but not nearly as many as the boxer does.

As for what I'm looking for with the dog, basically just a companion/furry friend to help me cope with my depression and tendency to stress out and to keep me company. So, I guess a cross between a housepet and a personal therapy dog. But the dog doesn't have to be therapy trained or anything. I find I become naturally calmer and less depressed around all friendly dogs or other animals the moment I come in contact with them.

No. I do not plan to use the dog in agility, obedience, sports, working,etc.
Atleast not right now,but some dog sports do seem interesting so I might do alot more research on agility, frisbee catching( I think it's called fly disc or something like that), and other such sports as they seem like they might be fun to do with my future dog,but I don't necessarily care about the competive aspect of it if I do decide to do it, just about the bonding and having fun with my dog.

I was planning on a rescue if I do get a dog because even though puppies are cute, they are alot more work than an adult dog. All the ones I've meant at the adoption events seemed to be already well socialized and trained(and maybe housebroken),so that would take alot of stuff out of the way.

Lol. Yep. Normally, I think designer dogs are stupid,but there are a couple of "breeds" I like though. I just wish the breeders would be honest that they aren't purebreds and wouldn't give them stupid names, like for example, I am ok with someone breeding a pitbull-boxer cross as long as they say they are breeding pitbull-boxer crosses, pitbull-boxer mixes, loveable mutts with a pitbull-boxer base,etc.,but when they start saying they are selling "purebred" Bullboxer Pits, that's when it gets annoying. :rolleyes:

Also when they breed two totally incompatable breeds together is annoying too like people who are breeding northern breeds(huskies,malamutes),etc. to things like cattledogs and other heeler type dogs which make them not good at pulling sleds or heeling cattle because those two traits contradict each other and they aren't good as family pets either because both of those types of dogs are extremely high energy that need a job to do otherwise become really destructive.

That's odd. Boxers should not be like that at all. Do you know if the man abuses them? My boxer was incredibly gentle, the perfect model of the breed. When my cousin was a baby,he crawled over and bit her on the butt while she was laying down on the floor and all she did was look behind her to see what bit her on the butt and when she saw it was him who was just a baby, she just put her head back down and went back to sleep. She didn't have a mean bone in her body towards humans or other dogs around her own size. She was aggressive towards small dogs though because they got on her nerves, especially the ones that tried to eat her food and then growled when she tried to eat it. But she only attacked if they provoked her first. She wouldn't take other dogs growling at her. My aunt gave her up to me and my other aunt because my aunt(the aunt that first had the dog) had a small yorkie-poodle mix and my boxer Roxie would take the other dog's whole head in her mouth and bite the yorkie-mix on the head. My aunt(the one who first had her) was going to put her down because she was "vicious" but my other aunt rescued her by taking her in. Later, after Hurricane Katrina, I moved to my aunt's house in Houston with her and Roxie when Roxie was about 5 and then llived with them until first Roxie and then my aunt passed away. :(

Yes. I prepared to deal with dog aggression. They have to have a job to do and are very active? That's odd. I guess this site:
American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls

lied to me then because it says that they do ok in apartments as long as you take them for walks everyday.

Pits will do okay in an apartment if it is sufficiently exercised. They are very active indoors and will do alright without a yard provided they get enough exercise. Prefers warm climates.
Thank you for your help. ^^ I have heard of the staffie and I really like thier looks as well as temperment,but as for the bullies(and I mean no offense to the bully owners. This is just my personal opinion), they are kind of....err... ugly looking to me. They seem to have nice personalities though. Then again, before I owned a boxer, I thought they were ugly,but once you own a dog of an "ugly" breed,they kind of grow on you and you start to see them as a so ugly their cute kind of thing. Lol. XD

Only reason I know about American bulldogs is because of the movie Homeward Bound with Chance. Lol. XD

Catahoula Bulldogs I found here:
Catahoula Bulldog Information and Pictures, Catahoula Bulldogs

^Seriously. That site is like my dog breed/info bible or something. It has alot of dumb designer breeds on it though and at first, I thought a catahoula bulldog was one of them until I read that people have been crossing them way before this designer dog faze began and they are actually crossed with a purpose in mind other than to look pretty.

Just in case you guys are interested in what a purebred catahoula looks like though, here it is. It''s a cur/hound dog used for hunting that has no bulldog in it:
Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog Information and Pictures

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Don't trust that website.. It is garbage of information.. Catahoula Bulldogs make damn fine catch dogs, some breeding programs lean more towards PP (protection) type work and others breed mutt pets... There are some well established CB yards out there if you know where to look..

In essence you have to ask yourself what you want and what you can provide. The Bulldog (AKA non-proven APBT) is a world class worker, superior all around-er... Great catch dogs, great at agility, schutzhund, luring, etc.. CB's also superior workers however i am a firm believer in preserving these type of hounds (working breeds) for original purpose vs. what registries SAY the breed should be..

In short and to avoid this even further complicating you.. Do you have time to work a hound? Do you want or need a working hound? If not, do not get a Bulldog/AmBulldog/APBT/Catahoula Bulldog/etc.. Do you want a show dog? American Staffordshire Terriers and American Bullies might be two great options.. If you are looking for a pet that can be active with your lifestyle.. Adopt.. Simple, don't support BYBs and people putting together hounds for the hell of it.. Reserve buying one of those hounds if you plan on for filling their purpose.

I think DA/HA has already been touched so i'll leave it at that for now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well bred Catahoula Bulldogs are beautiful animals. Unfortunately finding a good breeder is hard to come by nowadays - most I've seen aren't quite what I remember with my grandfather's dogs when he bred them.

As Bella said there is dog aggression in APBTs. Maybe in that regard it'd be better if you adopt to adopt a puppy / younger animal as then it'd be a bit more controllable / retrainable than having a "brute" on the end of the leash.

But welcome anyways, I'm kind of new here too.
These are what the ones I"ve seen have looked like:
Like an american bulldog with catahoula markings:

Purebred Catahoula Leopard Dogs for comparison:

Like a pitbull with catahoula markings:

What did your grandfather's dogs look like? Do you have photos? What's the "breed" supposed to look like?

I would perfer to get an adult rescue one. Puppies are alot of work. I am confident I can control an adult pitty and I don't see them as "brutes" but as loving, affectionate dogs who are gentle towards humans(but not always other animals).

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I know you are new to the whole Bulldog world however please don't use the term "Pitty", it sounds ignorant and juvenile. I know i can't speak for everyone here however it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know you are new to the whole Bulldog world however please don't use the term "Pitty", it sounds ignorant and juvenile. I know i can't speak for everyone here however it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine..
How is it juvenile or ignorant? It's just a shortened form of the word pitbull like how rottie is a shorten form for the word rottweiler. I fail to see how using a nickname makes someone "juvenile". It's not like it's immature behavior or something like insulting someone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't trust that website.. It is garbage of information.. Catahoula Bulldogs make damn fine catch dogs, some breeding programs lean more towards PP (protection) type work and others breed mutt pets... There are some well established CB yards out there if you know where to look..

In essence you have to ask yourself what you want and what you can provide. The Bulldog (AKA non-proven APBT) is a world class worker, superior all around-er... Great catch dogs, great at agility, schutzhund, luring, etc.. CB's also superior workers however i am a firm believer in preserving these type of hounds (working breeds) for original purpose vs. what registries SAY the breed should be..

In short and to avoid this even further complicating you.. Do you have time to work a hound? Do you want or need a working hound? If not, do not get a Bulldog/AmBulldog/APBT/Catahoula Bulldog/etc.. Do you want a show dog? American Staffordshire Terriers and American Bullies might be two great options.. If you are looking for a pet that can be active with your lifestyle.. Adopt.. Simple, don't support BYBs and people putting together hounds for the hell of it.. Reserve buying one of those hounds if you plan on for filling their purpose.

I think DA/HA has already been touched so i'll leave it at that for now.
What do you mean by the Bulldog? There are many types of bulldog:English bulldog, American Bulldog, Catahoula Bulldog,etc.

I don't think a dog necessarily has to be worked just because that's what it was originally bred to do. Boxers are working breeds too,but my boxer did just fine as a non-working house pet. My vet teacher's friend in high school also had a Catahoula leopard dog that he just kept as a pet. Just because a dog is a working breed doesn't necessarily mean that they have to work and that you can't just keep them as a housepet. Also, I never said I support BYBs. BYBs are breeders that don't look out for their puppies/dogs health. As long as they look out for the health of their dogs/ puppies by health testing them and keep them in good conditions and are honest about what breed mixes went into them and that they aren't purebred dogs, who cares if someone wants to cross two different breeds together and give them a stupid designer dog name? I'll never understand why purebred breeders get in such a tiffy over people crossing their breed to other breeds and calling it irresponsible breeding. After all, that's how all breeds originally started, crossing various already established purebreds together,so why is it ok for people to do that to make your beloved breed,but not ok for people to do it with your breed to make a new breed?

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
What do you mean by the Bulldog? There are many types of bulldog:English bulldog, American Bulldog, Catahoula Bulldog,etc.

I don't think a dog necessarily has to be worked just because that's what it was originally bred to do. Boxers are working breeds too,but my boxer did just fine as a non-working house pet. My vet teacher's friend in high school also had a Catahoula leopard dog that he just kept as a pet. Just because a dog is a working breed doesn't necessarily mean that they have to work and that you can't just keep them as a housepet. Also, I never said I support BYBs. BYBs are breeders that don't look out for their puppies/dogs health. As long as they look out for the health of their dogs/ puppies by health testing them and keep them in good conditions and are honest about what breed mixes went into them and that they aren't purebred dogs, who cares if someone wants to cross two different breeds together and give them a stupid designer dog name? I'll never understand why purebred breeders get in such a tiffy over people crossing their breed to other breeds and calling it irresponsible breeding. After all, that's how all breeds originally started, crossing various already established purebreds together,so why is it ok for people to do that to make your beloved breed,but not ok for people to do it with your breed to make a new breed?
KMdogs refers to all bully breeds or "pitbulls" as hounds or bulldogs. Try not to let that confuse you. As for the part of your statement I put in bold... if you were a true breed enthusiast, trying to preserve the breed for what it is, and was in the old days, you would better understand this and wouldn't have made this statement. I realize you're new to the breed, but a purebred dog is in its best form, when bred properly; therefore eliminating the need to cross any other breeds into the "lines". Granted, all breeds were initially derived from mixing different crosses, trying to find the right fit, which types of dogs complimented each other best. Once a breed has been around for as long as the APBT, when you take that and cross it with another breed to create a "breed", you take away the purity of the original breed(s). Also, please keep in mind that it takes at least 10 generations of successful, consistent breeding to create a new breed. When you create this new breed, you need to have a purpose, a reason why you're crossing these breeds. What are you planning to do with this new "breed"? What attributions are pulling, or hoping to pull, from each of the breeds you're using to create your new "breed"? Are the litters consistent? What is your ultimate goal in producing this new "breed"? What registry do you plan to get your new "breed" registered with and why? These are things to be taken into consideration, and I hope this has helped answer your question. No offense here, but you seem more like a general dog lover, and not a breed enthusiast, so I don't really expect you to understand where people like the members of this forum are coming from. We love this breed, and want to preserve it in its truest form, whether we ourselves are breeders or not. BYB (Back Yard Breeders, or non-reputable breeders) would be the types to cross in other breeds and make a new designer breed, thus diluting the original breed, and the general public, with inconsistent mutts and further tarnishing our breed's reputation. That's how we've gotten where we are today, constantly fighting BSL and having our dogs taken from us and immediately euthanized, or shot on sight, because of the prejudice and crappy reputation that's been built for them by these irresponsible breeders and owners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No offense here, but you seem more like a general dog lover, and not a breed enthusiast, so I don't really expect you to understand where people like the members of this forum are coming from. We love this breed, and want to preserve it in its truest form, whether we ourselves are breeders or not. BYB (Back Yard Breeders, or non-reputable breeders) would be the types to cross in other breeds and make a new designer breed, thus diluting the original breed, and the general public, with inconsistent mutts and further tarnishing our breed's reputation. That's how we've gotten where we are today, constantly fighting BSL and having our dogs taken from us and immediately euthanized, or shot on sight, because of the prejudice and crappy reputation that's been built for them by these irresponsible breeders and owners.
I understand that,but pitbulls aren't exactly a rare breed. Even if someone wanted to make a crossbreed with a pitbull, others would still breed pure pitbulls so pure pitbulls aren't in any danger by it. I guess I don't understand why breeders have such a hate for mutts and crossbreeds even if they weren't breed for specific purposes other than to just be houspets.

Like you said though, I am just a general dog lover. I love all dogs,be they mutts, cross breeds, mixed breeds, designer dogs, purebred,etc. I just see dogs as pets not as something to be bred or worked. I don't have anything against people that do breed or work their dogs though. My personal opinion though is just that dogs are household companions and friends and I don't really want a dog for any other reason so it really doesn't matter to me if the dog was cross bred to another breed or not as long as the breeder isn't misrepresenting it as a purebred or breeding unhealthy dogs.

I don't believe BSL started by cross breeding,but I will agree that it started with irressponsible breeders and owners. However,my definition of irresponsible breeders and owners are breeders who breed dogs for fighting temperments and owners who fight their dogs. This is why these dogs and all dogs that look like them have bad reputations, becuase of the irresponislbe people who illegally fight them and irresponisble breederes who are willing to sell them to people who fight them. It has nothing to do with crossbreeding.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
LMBO...Bro your 1 Big Play Prick, hahah, Full of yourself too. In case you didnt Notice, this is a Open Forum. I think I'm gonna call all 3 of my Dogs Pitty's now Just get on ur Nerves....Speaking Of Juvenile HAHAHAHAHA:rofl:

Reactions: PatienceFlame
1 - 12 of 12 Posts