Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re looking for a pitbull on the taller leaner side from a respectable breeder, i can’t seem to find the one that fits what we’re looking for as most seem to be bully type or the websites of breeders are scams, my family and i already got scammed for $2500 during Xmas which ruined the kids big surprise. I’m located in Los Angeles if anyone can point me in the right direction any info would be appreciated. Again looking for on the taller leaner side with a great temperament good with children and other pets, not looking to breed just want the kids to grow up with a APBT like i did. Thanks

· Administrator
4,874 Posts
Bull breeds tend to have a higher prey drive and also lean towards dog aggression. I'm not sure these are the breeds that fit your family requirements.

· Registered
19 Posts
First, quit dealing with breeders on the internet unless you first meet them in person.
Second, really look at some things before you even consider the breed, such as: check your homeowners insurance (or your landlord's insurance) to be sure it doesn't list certain breeds.
Consider where you live in Los Angeles. Enormous, crowded area. Do you have enough space? What are your neighbors like (they can be SUCH an issue if they see a "pit bull")? If you have any adjoining yards with any kind of dog, is your fence absolutely jump-proof and tear-apart proof? Is there any breed-specific legislation in your area?
You should be able to find a UKC or ADBA show in your area (look on their websites for show schedules). GO SEE and talk with the owners whose dogs you like. Try to get a relationship going and go see their place (I don't like dealing with people whose dogs live in crates and this does happen). See what their dogs are generally like.
I think you do understand that especially other dog aggression can be an issue. But I have known several who, when raised on a farm from a young age and exposed to all kinds of stock, do just fine. It MIGHT be easier finding what you want with an Am Staf, but again, ya kinda got to know the breeder and the kind of dogs he raises.

· Registered
125 Posts
Do you have a mom and pop type pet store near you?
They might know of someone. They tend to get to know their customers and what kind of dogs they have.
Good luck! Keeps us posted on your pup you get!!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, quit dealing with breeders on the internet unless you first meet them in person.
Second, really look at some things before you even consider the breed, such as: check your homeowners insurance (or your landlord's insurance) to be sure it doesn't list certain breeds.
Consider where you live in Los Angeles. Enormous, crowded area. Do you have enough space? What are your neighbors like (they can be SUCH an issue if they see a "pit bull")? If you have any adjoining yards with any kind of dog, is your fence absolutely jump-proof and tear-apart proof? Is there any breed-specific legislation in your area?
You should be able to find a UKC or ADBA show in your area (look on their websites for show schedules). GO SEE and talk with the owners whose dogs you like. Try to get a relationship going and go see their place (I don't like dealing with people whose dogs live in crates and this does happen). See what their dogs are generally like.
I think you do understand that especially other dog aggression can be an issue. But I have known several who, when raised on a farm from a young age and exposed to all kinds of stock, do just fine. It MIGHT be easier finding what you want with an Am Staf, but again, ya kinda got to know the breeder and the kind of dogs he raises.
I live on 1/2 acre of land not all of LA is crowded.
Do you have a mom and pop type pet store near you?
They might know of someone. They tend to get to know their customers and what kind of dogs they have.
Good luck! Keeps us posted on your pup you get!!
unfortunately we do not have a mom and pop pet store locally.

· Administrator
5,700 Posts
Plan a weekend for travel and find an American Pit Bull Terrier dog show. Talk to the handlers and the owners and find the bloodline you like. You've got to put in the time and work to find what you want.

· Pits Are For Chicks
16,347 Posts
While APBT are often DA and AA it's not always the case. I had APBT's and cats for many years. Making sure you socialize the pup young and looking at a litter for a calmer less drivy pup would suit you the best. Hands down I always recommend Nevada Kennels. Her dogs are UKC in type not ADBA, but Janice is an amazing breeder for both first time owners and those how have experiance. Her dog are well priced.

There are many fine ADBA breeders out there, but most ADBA dogs tend to have higher prey drive. The few I would recommend no longer breed.

Reactions: 2DogTrix and jttar

· Administrator
4,874 Posts
Instead of buying why not adopt? There millions of pitbulls in shelters and rescue groups in this country. Never understand this stupidity.
If everyone purchased from a reputable breeder there wouldn't be any dogs in shelters at all. Move on if you don't have anything constructive or educated to say about the thread.

· Registered
19 Posts
We’re looking for a pitbull on the taller leaner side from a respectable breeder, i can’t seem to find the one that fits what we’re looking for as most seem to be bully type or the websites of breeders are scams, my family and i already got scammed for $2500 during Xmas which ruined the kids big surprise. I’m located in Los Angeles if anyone can point me in the right direction any info would be appreciated. Again looking for on the taller leaner side with a great temperament good with children and other pets, not looking to breed just want the kids to grow up with a APBT like i did. Thanks
ITS SO HARD not to get scammed.
i would NEVERsend money
ALWAYS meet in person, in a public setting.
DONT put a deposit down, the puppy should be ready to go if its not from a KNOWN kennel i.e. Bossy Kennels

1 - 14 of 14 Posts