Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined and have an intro thread in the introductions forum. My family and I are military and we will be moving to San Diego next summer (August or September of 2012). My oldest daughter is currently living with us and will most likely be making the move with us. She owns a pit bull. Our problem is that we will be looking for a house to rent and I know we will run into problems with owners not wanting to rent to us because of her Pit Bull. If anyone has any resources I can look into for rental properties and not ones in bad areas that are Pit Bull friendly I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any info. you can give me. :)

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
im not up on my bsl like some people here but i think california has a law that says they cannot ban a certain breed but they can mandate that you get your dog spayed or neutered if its not a show dog or papered or something of that sorts. talk to apbtmom76 she usually does every thing for the breed specific legislation catagory here. but i'd search this page to see if you can find what your looking for before pming her BSL Discussion - Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already looked up San Diego, pit bulls are not banned there. However, as a renter, I am at the mercy of the owner of the home and they can dictate what kind of dogs they will allow to live in the home. Unfortunately, pit bulls are usually on that list. I had a little trouble in the past renting in different states with my husky. Apparently there's some "list" that was compiled by who knows of the top ten most aggressive breeds and most owners who rent out their homes usually don't allow those breeds. I'm sure its a liability issue. I am beginning to think it will be nothing short of a miracle to find a rental home that wouldn't be in a bad area. :-(

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
I already looked up San Diego, pit bulls are not banned there. However, as a renter, I am at the mercy of the owner of the home and they can dictate what kind of dogs they will allow to live in the home. Unfortunately, pit bulls are usually on that list. I had a little trouble in the past renting in different states with my husky. Apparently there's some "list" that was compiled by who knows of the top ten most aggressive breeds and most owners who rent out their homes usually don't allow those breeds. I'm sure its a liability issue. I am beginning to think it will be nothing short of a miracle to find a rental home that wouldn't be in a bad area. :-(
take it to the vet, tell the vet that its either a boxer mix, a cau de bou mix, or a black mouth cur mix. get the papers from the vet show it to you land lord.... if they ask you do not have a pit bull if you dont have papers on the dog any ways then you dont have an american pit bull terrier you have a mutt. i dont remember what was said in your introduction post so with out reading it im just covering all my bases if your vet trys to tell you that he is an american pit bull terrier tell the vet that the dog came off an accidental breeding and you saw the mothers papers, and the father was an a different breed. so you have a boxer cau de bou mix, a black mouth cur lab mix. ect. but i dont think lieing is a good idea and i dont recommend it

also if you do decide to go this route IT TAKES COMMITMENT, dont ever refer to your dog as an american pit bull terrier again, one slip can get you caught up in your lie.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
post an ad on craigslist that you're looking for a place to rent that allows pibbles

·
Banned
14 Posts
that is crazy... not allowing you to rent a house because of your dogs breed.
What would be the reasons for not allowing a pitbull to be on the property?
Insurance?

sorry for my ignorance, but I'm South African and have never heard of that sort of thing here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is crazy... not allowing you to rent a house because of your dogs breed.
What would be the reasons for not allowing a pitbull to be on the property?
Insurance?

sorry for my ignorance, but I'm South African and have never heard of that sort of thing here.
Yes, insurance would be my guess. Most home owners don't allow big dogs and if by chance you find one who does then there are several breeds that are usually not allowed: Rottweilers, dobermans, chows, german sheperds, pit bulls, huskies, etc. :(

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
ussually here in los angeles you just here no pit bulls or no big dogs period...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts