Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on dog trainers and im either considering boot camping my pit or taking him to a well-trained,known for their achievement trainer. but i live in Beaufort SC and i'm unsure as to what options are available to me. hence the interest in boot camp.
my questions are does anyone know any good boot camps that will allow me to send my pup to for a few weeks.
is pet-smart a good basis for sending my pup to social class and initial.sit,stay,heel,come etc class
are there any good dog trainers in my area with a immaculate reputation

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
There are some problems with sending your dog to a training center or kennel to be trained by someone else.

1) You don't know what methods they're using and whether they're appropriate for your dog. They can say anything they want to your face or on their website, but in the end, you're not there watching them train your dog to ensure your dog is being taken care of properly. This is a big thing for me, as not every training method works for every dog.

2) If they use methods different than what you would use in your daily life, your dog will get confused. You'll be giving them mixed messages as you try to use the training center's/kennel's methods and sometimes succeed and sometimes fail.

3) Training your dog helps build the bond between you and your dog. If you send your dog off to training with someone else, your dog is developing that bond with someone else -- not you.

I wouldn't recommend the idea of sending your dog away to be trained. It's YOUR responsibility to train YOUR dog. It's one of the joys of ownership, to be able to teach your dog appropriate behaviors, commands, tricks, and see them understand what you're trying to teach. It's about building a line of communication between your dog.

Petsmart can be hit or miss with trainers. Some are good, some aren't. Try and meet the trainer before you start the class to see if you match up well with them. Your other options are to find a local obedience club or training center that you can go to with your dog. It's always important to make sure that the training methods between you and the trainer mesh well.

If you want some reading materials for training and understanding your dog, some good authors to look at are: Dr. Ian Dunbar, Patricia McConnell, Karen Pryor, Leslie McDevitt, Jean Donaldson, and Pat Miller.

·
Banned
21 Posts
There are some problems with sending your dog to a training center or kennel to be trained by someone else.

1) You don't know what methods they're using and whether they're appropriate for your dog. They can say anything they want to your face or on their website, but in the end, you're not there watching them train your dog to ensure your dog is being taken care of properly. This is a big thing for me, as not every training method works for every dog.

2) If they use methods different than what you would use in your daily life, your dog will get confused. You'll be giving them mixed messages as you try to use the training center's/kennel's methods and sometimes succeed and sometimes fail.

3) Training your dog helps build the bond between you and your dog. If you send your dog off to training with someone else, your dog is developing that bond with someone else -- not you.

I wouldn't recommend the idea of sending your dog away to be trained. It's YOUR responsibility to train YOUR dog. It's one of the joys of ownership, to be able to teach your dog appropriate behaviors, commands, tricks, and see them understand what you're trying to teach. It's about building a line of communication between your dog.

Petsmart can be hit or miss with trainers. Some are good, some aren't. Try and meet the trainer before you start the class to see if you match up well with them. Your other options are to find a local obedience club or training center that you can go to with your dog. It's always important to make sure that the training methods between you and the trainer mesh well.

If you want some reading materials for training and understanding your dog, some good authors to look at are: Dr. Ian Dunbar, Patricia McConnell, Karen Pryor, Leslie McDevitt, Jean Donaldson, and Pat Miller.
:goodpost:

The best way to learn to train a dog is to train them yourself (with the guidance of a qualified trainer, of course).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts