Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all come across a loose dog, off leash. It's bound to happen luckily most incidents end it tail wagging or neighbors annoyed with one another but nothing really serious despite the potential scenario where, due to DA, it could be worse...

Lately I have noticed a lot of ppl complaining about off leash neighbor dogs. Luckily most of which, the incidents have been harmless. I have been in those same situations myself & later avoided certain routes to walk my dog.

Due to recent scenarios, these incidients got me to thinking about loose dogs that aren't just irresponsible neighbor dogs but strays or feral dogs...

Say you're walking your dog, harmlessly & you encounter a stray or feral dog. How do you react, do you have a game plan to keep you & your dog safe? What do you do if you don't & how can we as responsible apbt, bully or any dog owners, for that matter be better prepared to face the possibility of these situations?

Just wanted to get ya'lls thoughts & how we can be proactive in certain instances. :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I have never really come across a feral type dog in the city, however I have come across strays and loose dogs. My game plan involves what you have already stated. I have become very alert and accustomed to my walking route. I know the whereabouts of certain dogs and how they are confined, or not. I do not use my IPOD, or other distracting device, when walking my pup and I always have a solid grip on the leash. I almost know other people's dogs as well as my own and adjust my behavior accordingly. If I have to change my route, pick up my pup, or whatever, then so be it. BTW, I did have to "pitch" both of my pups in the back of a pickup truck bed when another pit bull started to make a beeline in our direction one night. It gets old sometimes, but unfortunately you can't control other people's actions, no matter how idiotic they are:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well , Were I live there are too many strays to count ,it is sad but true. When I do come across them ,I NEVER turn my or my dogs back to them .. I will avoid them at many cost , including walking through yards or walking on the completely other side of the road . I have only had to pick Izzo up once or twice . If I notice the dog is in a agressive or dominant stance , I will back away slowly never taking my eyes off of them . Letting them I know that I mean them no harm , and wont bother them if they don't bother me. But I never take my eyes off them so they know I am watching and they are not going to get away with anything ..

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I've never come across feral dogs, I've know where every dog I've sen came from/belonged to for the most part.

Dakota is DA, so if the dog gets to us there likely won't be a happy wagging tail, but an exited wagging tail in a fight.

First things first, If I'm running/biking I stop and face the dog. I yell "Get!" and walk towards them pointing my arm out. Usually that works, if not I get out the spray.

If that doesn't work and we do end up with contact I keep extra slip leads so I can tie the dog off and call AC, just keep them separate.

If the owner is there, I yell for them to get their dog, I react depending on their response.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
In my home town of Detroit we have an estimated 150,000 strays roaming around. Most of them are pitbulls and pit mixes. These dogs are street savy and pretty much avoid people at all costs. They've been chased, had stuff thrown at them and probably shot at and have learned to avoid people. You will never have an issue with them, but the people the dogs avoid, you might have problems with them:)

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great posts ya'll. Keep 'em coming :D

In my home town of Detroit we have an estimated 150,000 strays roaming around. Most of them are pitbulls and pit mixes. These dogs are street savy and pretty much avoid people at all costs. They've been chased, had stuff thrown at them and probably shot at and have learned to avoid people. You will never have an issue with them, but the people the dogs avoid, you might have problems with them:)
that's sad. poor dogs :(

Yeah...I dated a guy back in HS that was new from detroit. The stories that boy had...

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I always keep a break stick with me anywhere i go when i take 1 or both of my dogs. I have no problem kicking a dog in the face/else where if it comes close enough and all other options are out or tried.. It may sound cruel but a kick is going to end much safer and ideal vs. one or both of my dogs getting ahold of them. They can ignore/leave it to a certain point and im not about to let a defenseless stray/loose dog stick around or get close enough long enough for it to hit the fan.

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
I always keep a break stick with me anywhere i go when i take 1 or both of my dogs. I have no problem kicking a dog in the face/else where if it comes close enough and all other options are out or tried.. It may sound cruel but a kick is going to end much safer and ideal vs. one or both of my dogs getting ahold of them. They can ignore/leave it to a certain point and im not about to let a defenseless stray/loose dog stick around or get close enough long enough for it to hit the fan.
I gotta agree.

When I have taken Whitman out for our jogs, we've only come across 2 or 3 strays. They were a little smaller, so when they would run at us barking, I would just do the good ol' "GET OUTTA HERE!!" and step at them really hard. They pretty much skid to a stop and haul butt the way they came lol. I swear they looked like this ;)

But yeah, a quick kick from me to scare them off is better than what Whit would do.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:goodpost:
I agree... I'm thinking hypothetically here, worst comes to worst. Just to see how everyone responds & what their game plan would be... Once I realized, dang, I don't have one but what if some shizzle went down. How should I prep myself.

So far I only walk one dog at a time because it's all I can handle. Lex is an ox when he gets excited. Lily's only 10 months but she's getting there. I don't really have stray dogs as an issue but the possibility is always there. About 10 or so years ago at random, in my area kids were being attacked by strays/ferals at their bus stops. And recent situations not as serious, reminded me of that. this thread is about you & your dogs safety when walking, so i say do what you gotta do. ps sorry for the novel there ;)

I gotta agree.

When I have taken Whitman out for our jogs, we've only come across 2 or 3 strays. They were a little smaller, so when they would run at us barking, I would just do the good ol' "GET OUTTA HERE!!" and step at them really hard. They pretty much skid to a stop and haul butt the way they came lol. I swear they looked like this ;)

But yeah, a quick kick from me to scare them off is better than what Whit would do.
:goodpost::rofl:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I live in a city, have never encountered a feral dog.
There are loose dogs, and I know most of them, none are behavior problems and all are smallish.
I've got to start carrying a break stick tho. A neighbors DA APBT who is generally out in his yard got loose a few weeks ago, and tried to fight with my male while I was walking him. Fortunately it was my male, I walk him on a 1 " traffic lead because he can be a handful. I was able to keep myself between the dogs, because of the short lead, and again, fortunately, the owner soon came and got her dog.
If it were the female, I'd have had a problem because she's generally on a 4" lead., and, although she's better behaved in general, she's a tougher nut than the male.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Carrying a break stick and knowing how to use one under extreme duress situations are two different matters IMO. I, admittingly, have never used a break stick. I've been shown how to use one and seen footage on its use, but never used one. I would think that it isn't as easy as opening a jar of peanut butter LOL and could be very dangerous, especially when alone, having two dogs to break up (one of which might be as interested in tangling with you as much as your pup), and perhaps during a night time or darkened walk. I'd like to become an experienced break stick "handler", but how does that occur when that's what you're trying to avoid in the first place? Not knocking those that carry break sticks at all here, please don't missunderstand me:)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Most dogs don't seem to run straight out at us. If I see a dog meandering my way, I will usually chase them with my own dog. (Bearing in mind here that I've never encountered another bulldog or a large dog that might actually be a threat.) Typically, being chased by a dog and a crazy person makes them think twice about wanting to come bother us. If it was a little dog that didn't deserve to die on that particular day, I'd probably either pick my dog up or grab her head so she couldn't snatch it up.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Carrying a break stick and knowing how to use one under extreme duress situations are two different matters IMO. I, admittingly, have never used a break stick. I've been shown how to use one and seen footage on its use, but never used one. I would think that it isn't as easy as opening a jar of peanut butter LOL and could be very dangerous, especially when alone, having two dogs to break up (one of which might be as interested in tangling with you as much as your pup), and perhaps during a night time or darkened walk. I'd like to become an experienced break stick "handler", but how does that occur when that's what you're trying to avoid in the first place? Not knocking those that carry break sticks at all here, please don't missunderstand me:)
You have a point there and I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way about myself and the break stick that I own. I want to be able to efficiently use it, but its like you said. How can you practice when the time you need to use it is what we try to avoid? lol

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have a point there and I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way about myself and the break stick that I own. I want to be able to efficiently use it, but its like you said. How can you practice when the time you need to use it is what we try to avoid? lol

Excellent points! forward thinkers :D I like. Me being 5'3 & barely pushing 100# is why I think it would be best to carry & know how to properly use a can of mase. I don't see myself ever having reason to be an experienced break stick handler (since I don't run a kennel, etc.) & know I don't have the proper strength to back it up so mase is my best bet ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
There aren't any feral and so far no loose dogs, however just today I was out walking Suzie and 3 little snake foods (Chihuahua's) came running out of nowhere...running straight for us. I had a tight hold on Suzie's leash and got her behind me, then I yelled...seemed to do the trick. Other than Suzie being all worked up and really excited all ended well.

I don't carry a break stick and I have been thinking that I should, but I am sure it would be pretty much pointless in this situation.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts

Excellent points! forward thinkers :D I like. Me being 5'3 & barely pushing 100# is why I think it would be best to carry & know how to properly use a can of mase. I don't see myself ever having reason to be an experienced break stick handler (since I don't run a kennel, etc.) & know I don't have the proper strength to back it up so mase is my best bet ;)
Haha thanks! :) You know, a small chick with a can of mase and a crazy look in her eyes is pretty frightening haha ;) just teasing a bit haha

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Is mace legal in all states? Seriously, I don't know. I thought I had read one time that is wasn't, but I could be mistaken. Then again, what about break sticks LOL:)

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Is mace legal in all states? Seriously, I don't know. I thought I had read one time that is wasn't, but I could be mistaken. Then again, what about break sticks LOL:)
I would assume that mace/pepper spray is because its for self defense. Break sticks on the other hand, are considered dog fighting paraphernilia by most states if I'm not mistaken.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts