Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Could it be from chewing on the tail? Or do tbh bit it against anything they are near when they are excited (that's called happy tail) Any other hair loss under armpits or eyes or cheeks or ears?

Sent from Petguide.com App so please excuses the typos

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Is he intact? If so, and he's not doing it to himself, then it may be stud tail. I could certainly be wrong though.
i was going to suggest the same thing. ruling out biting, bugs, or some kind of injury. i would think so.
if the skin is scaly and kinda waxy with dark discoloration. definitely stud tail. sometimes there are small pimples too. my boy had a reoccurring case of this between 3 and 4 years old.
-soft brush to exfoliate
-mild astringent like witch hazel to keep the pores clear
-fish oil supp
his hair grew back in 2 or 3 months. he's 5 now and i haven't seen symptoms for several months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was going to suggest the same thing. ruling out biting, bugs, or some kind of injury. i would think so.
if the skin is scaly and kinda waxy with dark discoloration. definitely stud tail. sometimes there are small pimples too. my boy had a reoccurring case of this between 3 and 4 years old.
-soft brush to exfoliate
-mild astringent like witch hazel to keep the pores clear
-fish oil supp
his hair grew back in 2 or 3 months. he's 5 now and i haven't seen symptoms for several months.
Great, I will definitely give this a try. He is neutered however. It feels very dry, not so much waxy. I don't see any bugs from what I can observe. I'll get blood work done to double check. Thanks so much for the help everyone !

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Could it be from chewing on the tail? Or do tbh bit it against anything they are near when they are excited (that's called happy tail) Any other hair loss under armpits or eyes or cheeks or ears?

Lucy is missing hair on the very tip of her tail and I think this is the reason...her tail can leave bruises!

In my search for answers I kept getting information about thyroid conditions too. I would say that if everything else leads to a dead end you may want to get him checked out at the vet to rule out a thyroid condition.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
What's stud tail Francis?

Sorry Ames, I had very limited access to this site today.......my friend's phone, ugh. If you haven't already googled it, JoKealoha basically explained it.....over production of testosterone from the gland in the tail. This is why neutering is what a lot of vets would suggest...it's where the "stud" part comes in. Of course there are many theories on how to keep the situation at bay, and the severity of the case dictates which works best.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Great, I will definitely give this a try. He is neutered however. It feels very dry, not so much waxy. I don't see any bugs from what I can observe. I'll get blood work done to double check. Thanks so much for the help everyone !
hmm. like Francis mentioned, stud tail is more common in unaltered males. it's possible in neutered dogs. but rare.

let us know.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Sorry Ames, I had very limited access to this site today.......my friend's phone, ugh. If you haven't already googled it, JoKealoha basically explained it.....over production of testosterone from the gland in the tail. This is why neutering is what a lot of vets would suggest...it's where the "stud" part comes in. Of course there are many theories on how to keep the situation at bay, and the severity of the case dictates which works best.
I got busy and forgot to search so thanks for the reply.

hmm. like Francis mentioned, stud tail is more common in unaltered males. it's possible in neutered dogs. but rare.

let us know.
interesting! Thanks!

·
<(-.-)> N00B
350 Posts
I wonder if Apollo has Stud Tail. I've noticed some hair loss on his tail also. Around midway. I thought it might have been mites, but Stud Tail sounds more likely.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My boy is neutered and he gets it at season change from winter/spring and simply grows back just 1 small spot. It doesn't bother him. Have you checked for fleas, that can cause it also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts