Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ushually pretty good with this bt this is the first year my dogs are off puppy food so I feed Diamond Brand Naturals Extream Athlete in the bright orange bag (32% protien 20% fat) and have had EXCELENT results. I feed my dogs about 3 cups each (depends on the dog how it varys) and have GREAT stool, GREAT coats, GREAT energy ... (till now) when work outs are limited to their play and mill walking (inside) so they are not burning as much energy and upping the time they do what we do is almost impossable as they play 24/7 now as it is and walk about 30mins each (3hrs) of switching dogs and checking on them!!!
SO Question Switch gradually down to lower protien food? I think "feeding less" would not work as they are at the right weights (conditions). Thinking about Diamond Brand "HI-Energy" (24% protien 20% fat) then going to maintinace (21% protien 20% fat.) Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
sorry no one got back to you till now! switching foods is a better idea than cutting back on the amount you feed. Since the need for those extra calories, protein, and fat have decreased, switching food is the best way to meet the lower nutritional needs. In the winter my dogs stay outside during the day and burn more fat and calories staying warm so I have to do the opposite, I have to add fat in the form of lard to keep up with the climate change. Adjusting the food is much easier than giving smaller rations to conditioned dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts