Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Luna just started her heat cycle tonight. She is bleeding (just a little) I am stressed because her appointment to get spayed is scheduled for Monday, and I was pray pray prayin she wouldnt go into heat by then. I'm calling the place tomorrow about it all, because she cant get spayed during her cycle, I'm sure. I'm a little upset because I know it's the best for her health to get fixed before the first cycle. I read some entries about dogs in heat... but I am looking for some advice from you guys who have been through this. She is a beautiful dog, but I am not breeding. Right now shes got on a pair of my underwear with a hole cut for her tail... any input on how long she will bleed and what I can do to make her comfortable?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Call and cancel her appointment for being spayed, when they are in season there is a high risk when spaying. It is not recommended to spay while they are in season. As far as her overall health don't worry she will be just fine. Many vets will preach to avoid cancer you need to spay before their first heat cycle. This is debatable as the cancer risks they preach about are not as high and they want us to think.

Getting your dog spayed is a good thing if you do not want to breed or put up with a heat cycle and don't beat yourself up for not doing it before their first heat. On the good side waiting till your dog matures a bit before fixing them allows them to mature. Dogs need those hormones to properly mature and fill out so fixing her later is not a bad thing.

She will be in season for about 21 days and may bleed that whole time.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Luna just started her heat cycle tonight. She is bleeding (just a little) I am stressed because her appointment to get fixed is scheduled for Monday, and I was pray pray prayin she wouldnt go into heat by then. I'm calling the place tomorrow about it all, because she cant get fixed during her cycle, I'm sure. I'm a little upset because I know it's the best for her health to get fixed before the first cycle. I read some entries about dogs in heat... but I am looking for some advice from you guys who have been through this. She is a beautiful dog, but I am not breeding. Right now shes got on a pair of my underwear with a hole cut for her tail... any input on how long she will bleed and what I can do to make her comfortable?
Yes, cancel her appointment and let her go through her cycle. You will have to wait a month or more after her cycle before she can be spayed. No sooner! DO NOT let the vets talk you into still spaying her while in heat. There is a higher risk of hemmoraghing during the procedure because the reproductive organs are engorged. My girl started her cycle at 8 1/2 months and finished after a couple days shy of 21 days. Go to petsmart or petco and get her some hot pants. You can buy some cheap pads (without wings) ;) and place them inside the hot pants. I tried the underwear route and it was a pain in the butt ( no pun intended) to take them off and on. The ones you buy go on very easy and velcro on the sides. Here is a good website to read through.
http://justweimaraners.com/2010/11/living-with-bitches/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much for the info on hot pants! i knew there had to be something like that out there. underwear has been awful. last night i put a pad in the underwear, she was fine with it all when she was in my room sleeping but when i put her in her crate she whipped off the underwear and ate, yes ate, the pad (but not the wings). so now im just hoping that is going to digest okay. i already called to cancel her appointment. im glad the health risks arent as bad as they let on, and i would also like her to mature more as well! she is NUTTY

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
thank you so much for the info on hot pants! i knew there had to be something like that out there. underwear has been awful. last night i put a pad in the underwear, she was fine with it all when she was in my room sleeping but when i put her in her crate she whipped off the underwear and ate, yes ate, the pad (but not the wings). so now im just hoping that is going to digest okay. i already called to cancel her appointment. im glad the health risks arent as bad as they let on, and i would also like her to mature more as well! she is NUTTY
Just watch her poop to make sure she doesn't have a blockage from eating the pad. Remove her undies when she is crated so she can keep herself clean and she doesn't get any chaffing. And yes, I would spay her still but they do need the hormones to grow and mature. I think its good to let her have one cycle just watch out for wandering males and keep her on leash at all times. Those boys are crazy and will even do it through the fence.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I find the ones you get at the petstore can be expensive , if this is your only heat you will go through go get a bag of baby diapers usually size 5 -6 is best they are way cheaper and all you have to do is cut a hole for the tail. saves spenging $30 on hot pants.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Actually spaying at a young age has been linked to several health problems. Let her finish her cycle completely and get it done a month or so before the next one is due.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called them yesterday to put it off until the end of july but I'm going to call again to put it off a bit longer til the end of august.. thanks so much for the info everyone. diapers have been doing the trick!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts