Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to suspect that Squirt has a luxating patella in his right hind. He's started doing the telltale "skip" with that leg. I've always worried that he'd have some issues in his hind end somewhere since he's so cow-hocked and a structural nightmare. We have an appointment with our vet for next Tuesday and all drag work, etc. is on hold, so if it is the case I will update with the grade it is given and such.

What I'm looking for is personal experience with this. What grade was given? How limiting was it as far as mobility and exercise? Did it get significantly worse over time? Was surgery a valid option, was it effective if it was done?

Basically, I'm just freaking out. He's so young and it will be sad if he's limited for the rest of his life due to this. I'm really hoping that I'm jumping to early conclusions here.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Keep us all posted! :) a friend of mine's small breed dog had that and I think they did have to minimize exercise, but I don't think they got the surgery.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
no experience with patella issues but i'm going to chime in with a possible solution.
ive been doing some research on knee braces. my boy just completed 6 months of rehab for ccl. his recovery has been long but the joint is very stable now. i just got a new house with hard wood floors and he's been doing the electric slide all week. he jumped off the sofa and totally ate shit. and i had this vision of him blowing his knee out again.
SO... i immediately bought a few area rugs and started looking at ways to prevent another tear. i came across this company in Denver. they also have stifle solutions for patellar tendon issues. expensive. but not as costly as surgery. check em out!
OrthoPets: Orthotic Brace or Prosthetic Device for Dog or Animal, including Stifle, Hock, Carpus, Elbow, Knee, Wrist, Ankle, or Paw

Reactions: BCdogs

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do Coach!

JoKealoha, thank you! I obviously would not want to go the surgery route unless it was absolutely necessary to improve mobility, so it's great to hear that there may be alternatives. I will definitely take a look at the website.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so we just got back from the vet. Good news is it's definitely not his patella. She said they feel perfectly fine. Bad news is she thinks it's either a minor ccl issue or early hip dysplasia. We will be resting him for a few weeks and getting hip X-rays.

Other good news is she complemented me on his weight and muscle tone. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,300 Posts
That is good news Maggie, happy for Squirt. Hopefully a few weeks of rest will be all Squirt needs to recoup.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts