Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I was playing around with the idea to make my own high value treats for the dogs. I went to the store and got some meats out of the reduced section, a thing of plain yogurt with the live cultures, and used some veggies that I had that nobody wanted to eat (frozen, uncooked).

I picked up some cube steak (97% lean), some turkey dogs, Beef cubes for stew and used green peas, and garbanzo beans, along with the yogurt, and a teaspoon of chopped garlic. I put all these items in my food processor and chopped them until they were like a puree. Then I took that and rolled it like a giant tootsie roll, wrapped in foil and then put in a ziploc bag and froze it.

I took it out of the freezer yesterday afternoon (had been in there for 24 hrs), and easily sliced off a couple small rounds of it, to give each of the dogs a taste, and they flipped their lids for it! Both of 'em were left with their teeth chattering and anxious to do ANYTHING I asked of them to get some more of it!

I'm going to try some different meats, whatever I can find in the reduced section, and continue this. I don't usually use treats, as my dogs are so food driven they will work for just plain old kibble. I picked up some chicken gizzards and hearts yesterday, so I'll see what combinations work best for them. Just wanted to share this with y'all! May even go back and take pix as I go step by step on the next round so y'all can see.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those sound quite yummy.

I found a recipe today for banana yoghurt and coconut oil treats.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Cool, do you care to share that recipe?

Nice! I wish I had a good processor so I could do that. Mine would love it!

Mine's just a mini chopper, but it got the job done!I don't have a scale, but I think I got about 1-1 1/2 lb roll out of it, just guessing. I would like a bigger processor, to make more, but that will have to wait lol.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Nice!!! That's how Mel is with liver too. He can't wait to see what I want him to do next?

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
32 Posts
I always thought dogs could get sick from garlic.

I saw a few homemade treat recipes, they look easy to make,
too bad I don't have a food processor!

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Cool, do you care to share that recipe?
Gluten-free (people friendly) banana/peanut butter/coconut treats

Makes about 20-30 cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup coconut flour

1 egg

1/3 cup natural peanut butter

1 banana, mashed

1 Tbsp honey

1 Tbsp coconut oil

½ cup almond milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Stir egg, peanut butter, banana, coconut oil and honey in a bowl and mix well.
Stir in the coconut flour and mix well. Add almond milk as needed to help dough come together.
Coconut flour recipes are crumbly, so you won't be able to roll it out. Instead, scoop your tablespoon portions and place the balls on cookie sheets.
Bake cookies for 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.

I used rice flour because I could not find coconut flour. Jones loves bananas and is usually not so mad about peanut butter, but these came out tasting like a pie. Very yum.

I also found this one. But I haven't tried it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts