Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to the forum. Also new to mange, none of my dogs have ever had it but it seems Maggie does. She is only about 5 months old at first she had a little bit of fur missing from where her and my lab play around but over the last week it has gotten worse.. Now he has bumps and my fur starting to disappear. She is scheduled for the vet next tues but I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice until then on how bad off she is.. Any advise or input would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Well, it could be allergies or mange because they can mimic eachother. Both issues can be caused by a weak immune system....especially mange. what are you feeding her? Is she extremely itchy? You can give her benedryl to help with the scratching until she sees the vet. you definitely need to get a skin scrape and sometimes if it doesn't show they have mange the vets will still want to treat for it which I would hold off on and try some more natural things first before you fill her with drugs and antibiotics . Those will only weaken her immune system more but you will probably need to do a round of antibiotics because she could have a skin Infection . I've been through what I thought was mange but it was infact allergies. ever since my girl was put on a RAW diet her skin problems are no longer. How much does your girl weigh ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She like to bitw her rear and she scratches sOme but it's not horrible. I was told it could be allergies so I changed her food from what her previous owner gave me to I believe iams puppy food. It is suppose to have nutrients etc to help build her immune system. I'm guessing she is around 25lbs when I get home this evening I plan on weighing her

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Iams isn't very good food and is filled with a lot of fillers like corn and other allergy causing ingredients. I would try a grain free food such as taste of the wild and add some omega 3's to her diet such as salmon oil. you can find that at your local petco or petsmart if you have any around you. I would definitely get her on a better food though. However , you still want to get that skin scrape done regardless ;) you can give her 1 benedryl tablet for every 25 pounds of weight .

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thank you so much for the quick replies. If you lived near me I would be more then glad to help you out with any car troubles you might have lol not bragging but I'm pretty good with them (ASE Certified tech). My wife made a joke last night that it was too bad Maggie wasn't a car haha. But she really is a great pup and everyone in my family has already fell in love with her, my dad especially ( she doesn't eat his chickens she just sits there while they peck around) Like I mentioned on the newcomer thread I just want to get informed as much as possible so I can take good care of her. It seams y'all have a great community here and I am so blessed that I found the forum. :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Ok, thank you so much for the quick replies. If you lived near me I would be more then glad to help you out with any car troubles you might have lol not bragging but I'm pretty good with them (ASE Certified tech). My wife made a joke last night that it was too bad Maggie wasn't a car haha. But she really is a great pup and everyone in my family has already fell in love with her, my dad especially ( she doesn't eat his chickens she just sits there while they peck around) Like I mentioned on the newcomer thread I just want to get informed as much as possible so I can take good care of her. It seams y'all have a great community here and I am so blessed that I found the forum. :)
Your welcome so much :) and I wish I was closer because I need some new belts ;) lol! Just an FYI as you can see I have a blue dog.....they tend to have a lot more skin and allergy issues than most other colors. Although , allergies in the breed is common as a whole If it is mange you definitely don't want to breed her and spaying is the way to go because hormonal influx when she comes in and out of heat cycles can cause mange to get worse and she can have flair ups. I wish I was home at my computer so I could type more and give you more info ! I'm on my phone using one finger lol! :)

By the way! Welcome to the forum! Happy you found us :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would help you out of I could lol.
And same here I'm on my phone hence all the bad spelling etc. your dog is gorgeous though

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I would help you out of I could lol.
And same here I'm on my phone hence all the bad spelling etc. your dog is gorgeous though
Thank you! It's been a lot of trial and error finding the best food that worked for her allergies and a lot of dedication to getting her better. She has been eating a raw diet for 4 months now and I wish I switched her sooner. I also stopped using a lot of chemicals around my home because of her. a lot of cleaners and sprays we use in our homes can have adverse affects on dogs because they can be super sensitive to the smells from them. Allergies can be both environmental or food related and some dogs can suffer from both though it's not that common. I also wanted to mention that there are two types of mange , sarcoptic which is contagious to other animals and humans and demodex mange which is not contagious. so as long as you aren't itchy then she doesn't have sarcoptic lol! ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol thanks for the info, I am itchy but i live in the sticks and am alway out side but it isn't any different then before I got her so I believe we are ok. I also wanted to ask about shampoo what would you recommend? And I guess I should quit spraying lysol around where she sleeps :/

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Totally could be food related like Bella said but What are you using for heartworm? This is a miracle medicine For heartworm, fleas and mange. http://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/pahweb/us/en/Products/Pages/Revolution_Dog.aspx
https://www.revolution4dogs.com/default.aspx. Cleared up my boys bumps in 2 applications and I saw a difference in a few days. I would try and get on that since skin scrapings and allergy tests are really expensive and don't always reveal mange or the allergy! So frustrating. Skin scrapes came back on my boy fine but I swear, as well as my vet, he has it and revolution has worked wonders!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Yes quit the lysol! :( You can clean with vinegar and water. one cup vinegar to two cups watet and a tblsp of the original dawn dish soap. you can try the malaseb shampoo . its for bacterial skin and fungal infections which it looks like she may have. stuff works excellent but you need to leave it on for ten minutes. directions are on the back ;) an oatmeal and aloe natural shampoo would work well once her skin is cleared up.
Malaseb Anti-Fungal Shampoo for Dogs, Cats, and Horses - 1800PetMeds

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright off work! :) few new toys and new food for Maggie, anyone heard of this or think its any count? It was recommended to me by the guy in the store. He said its what he feeds his pit cause of allergies

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
It's definitely better than Iams! If you can't find taste of the wild then this looks to be a step in the right direction! Good job!

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
I've never seen that brand first hand and can't find thats flavor of it on dogfoodanalysis.com but I found a similar flavor that looks to be decent catfish instead of salmon. Prolly a decent food. The food chart and comparison link that Bella gave u shows how to find out the rating of any food. :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I agree with the girl on allergies doesn't look like mange. Hopefully you can find out what shes not ok with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone is so helpful! :) I guess I'll try it out and next Time look for a well know. Brand. Hopefully all that I am learning will pay off and I can help someone else out one day. Also on her bumps they seem to have puss in them... Not sure if it means anything bit I thought I seen someone talking about clear liquid or puss on there dogs bumps so I thought I would ask

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Sounds like she needs antibiotics so make sure you take her to the vet and keep us posted ;) try not to let the vet overdue it with drugs. cephalexin is a common drug they use to treat bacterial and or fungal infections on skin. stop using all those chemicals around the house as we talked about earlier and try the grain free food. i would also order the malaseb shampoo because it works wonders. my girls skin scrape showed negative mange but they still wanted to try and treat her with ivermectin just in case it was. i refused and only took the antibiotics and started my research on getting her better without all the drugs and meds. A better diet helped a lot but it wasn't until raw that it pretty much cured her. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Already on the whole chemical thing ;) and its funny you said tht about ceph. My mom came over today (she's a nurse) and said she might could benefit from it. But I'll definitely wait on vet. I know the woman there said she might need a "dip" treatment... From what I read I believe that will be a last resort..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts