Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaz is coming up to a year old in 2 weeks time, and I now have a major cause for concern regarding her.
She's been crate trained since the day I got her at 6 weeks old. At 6 months old I left her out of the crate during day times due to her showing none destructiveness........Wrong, she chewed on allsorts of things, so lesson learn't, she was too young, so she had to go back in her crate when I wen't to work.

This is the part i'm now worried about!!!!!
Now, for the past week, Jaz has been been behaving strangely. She'll go into the crate no problem, but as soon as I shut the front door and lock it, you can hear her crying and barking.
Anyway, I always come home from work after 4 hours to take her for a 15 minute walk and came home to find the wire crate has been chewed and mangled and the front where the cage door is is soaking wet on the floor.
She won't eat her treat that I give her before I leave the house either.

Why is she doing this, as she's never done it before, only started this behaviour in the last week?
She's just into season again now, would this have something to do with it?

I'm really worried about this behaviour as she's mangling the wires and snapping them off which could, of course, cause her major harm.

What do I do ?

If you need anymore information to try and get to the bottom of this, please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
How much excerise does she get before you leave for work? As she gets older she is going to have more energy that needs to be worked off. A tired pit is a happy pit we always say.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has a 15 minute walk before I go to work.
She has a 15 minute walk in my dinner break.
She has a 30 minute run in open fields at 5pm
She has another 20 minute walk at around 10 pm.

Do you think this is sufficient or she needs more as she's getting older ?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I would think you need to step it up. 15minutes is not enough before work IMO. Maybe you could do 15min of walk and 15 min of obedience training like work on sits and stays. I use to play a find it game with V when she was little. I would hide a treat in a room and then tell her to find it. She would work just hard t find her treat i could do other things that needed to be done while she hunted.

I was also wondering do you live in an apt. or a house? could something have changed that is getting her worked up? A new person moving in or the kids out of school so there is more noise that is working her up?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmm, come to think of it, she spent a couple of hours a day playing with my niece around 10 days ago, as my sister in law would pop round mine and take Jaz to her house, and this has started since my niece has gone back home. (I hope that made sense)

I have also changed my work time as I go to work earlier now as it used to be me that put her in her crate, for the last few weeks, my wife has put her in her crate.

I live in a house, but all the kids are back in school now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anymore opinions on this problem ?

I came home again after work to find more damage done to the crate and the floor was soaking wet.
She has toys in the crate but just ignores them.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I think it could be the change in your work time IMO. Dogs, at least mine, love routine when it comes to things like this. I think it may just take some time, but I would keep an eye on her hurting herself. I can see the concern there. Maybe a radio would calm her down and sort of distract her just enough to get used to the situation. I remember how bad I used to feel to leave for work in the dark and have to shut that door. Good luck, and be patient.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Well that makes sense she had a routine and now it is all different. I think it made a huge difference that she had excersie during the day when your niece was around.

i would try to step up the excerise before work and maybe look into using a calmative. I buy a product called calming Aid by NaturVetNaturVet - Home. I give Vendetta 3-4 when she is needs to be kennel for long times. For her that is anything over 2hrs as my son is home all the time and she never has to be in a kennel when he is around.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, seems to be some improvements today whan I wen't home at midday. A very small pool of saliva on the floor (compared to the puddles of sliva over the last few days!!!!) and she seemed a little more relaxed.
After taking her for a walk, she went into her crate and she ate her treat (which she hasn't done for a good few days now). Also, not one whine from her when I left the house. I think she might be starting to learn her new routine ?

It seems the chewing of the crate is done mostly in morning times after my wife has crated her up in the morning.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
just be sure the damage she has done to her crate thus far won't hurt her and she can't escape it. also- i have to crate my dogs for 6-8 hours and don't get to come home on lunch break so i take em on a long walk in the morning, usually about a mile or so, take em to the lake to swim or play fetch. and then right before i gotta go to work i take em out back n play fetch for a good half hour 45 mins til they are wore out. they don't cry or whine or anything when i put em up. too tired ;) hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts