Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my mother sent me a bag of like 12 antlers...problem is, Luna is not really interested in them :( I know how pricey these things are so I was hoping to get some ideas on how to gain her interest! I read about soaking them in a beef or chicken broth. Has anyone had any luck with this? Should I boil/simmer them in the broth for about 10 minutes or just let them soak in the broth overnight? I'm worried that if I boil them they will splinter etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I want to get her interested in the antlers because the Bully Sticks are becoming expensive at 3 a week.....and man do they stink and get all over her paws :( I tried an "unscented" bully stick and she loved it and it had ZERO smell but ya, she threw up her stomach acid both mornings after I gave her one :mad: She does fine however on the regular stinky ones that are all natural.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I stick the end in peanut butter and it keeps my boy occupied for a long time. Have you tried that already?

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stick the end in peanut butter and it keeps my boy occupied for a long time. Have you tried that already?
No I haven't! I thought about it but figured that she'd eat the Pb and be done with it....I don't think Luna has had Pb as of yet....I guess I'm an overprotective father/always worried about diarrhea with her when trying new foods etc :eek:

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I soaked the antler in a bowl of water and 4 beef bouillon cubes....gave it to her, she licked it and looked at me like "nice try" then walked away :cry: Oh well, maybe one day she will get interested in them...I'll just leave em lying around I guess :doggy:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just looked at these at the pet bakery the other day. I seen the price for a medium size (6 in maybe) was 24 bucks. I just thought the price was a bit crazy. But then again, I'm a bit crazy sometimes when it comes to spoiling my dog..so I know I'll get one for my pup eventually.. I'm just nervous he wouldn't be interested like yours.. then I'm out 25 for a stick, basically.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just looked at these at the pet bakery the other day. I seen the price for a medium size (6 in maybe) was 24 bucks. I just thought the price was a bit crazy. But then again, I'm a bit crazy sometimes when it comes to spoiling my dog..so I know I'll get one for my pup eventually.. I'm just nervous he wouldn't be interested like yours.. then I'm out 25 for a stick, basically.
Haha yes they are pricey! She got interested in one for like 15 minutes one day then was like "where's the cream filling" lol

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Where I live in Illinois the deer are plentiful. A friend of mine is an avid outdoorsmen. He shed hunts everyyear so he has a surplus of antlers. He just never had another toy available for his dog and use themwhen he had to rredirect unwanted chewing. Simply by makimg it the only toy available his dog quickly came to love them. You may try only having the antlers as toys for awhile and see if that doesnt help spark the interest.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
I think she is just probably used to the yummy bully sticks ;) I was also going to suggest the peanut butter dip. I'd let her go a week or two with no bulky sticks, then offer her the antler, maybe she'll go for it. My dogs love them because that is what they get lol! I used to get bully sticks too but yep too expensive! My inlaws gave us a huge bag of hooves and boy those are just disgusting lol! Dogs loved those though. It's like they like the nasty smelling stuff, the grosser the better! :) I know how you feel though because mine hate nylon ones ...won't touch them

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! You guys are all probably right...she has too many toys and her antlers are simply not as tasty and fun as the others....I'll leave them out and as her old toys start getting thrown out/eaten up she will be forced to play with that go$ da*m antler lol. :eek: And ya, I'm done buying this bi^c$ her bully sticks hahaha

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update. She is just NOW starting to chew on her antler/eat the marrow :) I took away some of her toys and I think she was forced to start in on the antler. She does sometimes however get bored of it after a few minutes. I've tried soaking it in broth as well as smearing peanut butter on it. She licks the good stuff off and is done with it though :( Any more suggestions on how to gain her interest? Thanks!

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Allow only the antler in her crate at night. Process of elimination pretty much lol. Like I said before if thats all shes allowed to chew it'll be her favorite thing ever. Is she past her destructive and unwanted chewing phase?

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Allow only the antler in her crate at night. Process of elimination pretty much lol. Like I said before if thats all shes allowed to chew it'll be her favorite thing ever. Is she past her destructive and unwanted chewing phase?
Almost past it! I caught her chewing on my wooden coffee table the other day, immediately made a high pitched HEY/NO and redirected her to the almighty antler :reindeer: Good idea about the antler in the cage, funny you mention that bc I already leave it in there with one other toy, a kong with treats in it. Once the treats are gone she doesn't really pay attention to the kong. The other day I was laying in bed in the morning and heard her moving around and nibbling on something in her crate (which is right next to my bed)...I look over and there she was, had woken up and was just going to town on the antler lol

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Thats what my buddy does. He redirects unwanted chewing with the antlers and only leaves antlers in the crate. To be honest sounds like your dogs a bit of a toy snob lol. When puopys know yummy treats are there they could care less about anything else lol

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats what my buddy does. He redirects unwanted chewing with the antlers and only leaves antlers in the crate. To be honest sounds like your dogs a bit of a toy snob lol. When puopys know yummy treats are there they could care less about anything else lol
Haha ya she is definitely a little spoiled brat. I am slowly throwing out her old toys...and yes, she just sits there and mean-mugs me as I do it :doggy: O_O

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Haha!!! Daaaaaad...this is boring... :) she is too funny

·
Banned
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha!!! Daaaaaad...this is boring... :) she is too funny
Haha thanks her personality is hilarious! She rarely ever barks or whines....which I love...her method of persuasion is sitting right next to you, and STARING at you until you break and give her what she wants. Typical woman...she takes everything from me, breaks my bank (the Orijen kibble) and leaves me in shambles :cry::pupruns: Story of my life.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts