Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is a year and 4 months old and he is getting patches of bald spots along his spine and it has spread on his side. You have to kind of catch it at an angle to see them but it is noticeable. I did research and it looks like demodectic mange. Any advice as to what I can do? He has a vet appointment next week. Is this very serious? will post pics in a sec.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Could be mange or food allergies, although kind of young for allergies. First step is what Dicky said, skin scraping at the vet. I give revolution, which is a monthly heart, flea/tick protection as well as treats mange. not sure what you are doing for that, but could be worth looking into.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Have taken him for food allergies and the vet has confirmed it. Any foods you recommend? At the moment he is on Taste of the wild.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize, that wasn't well written. I meant to say that In the past I have taken him.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
They confirmed food allergies? Do you know to what ingredients exactly? That would help you when selecting an appropriate food.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
I'd do the raw diet or a grain free kibble. Wash the dog only 1 time a month with a tiny bit of natural dog shampoo like burts bees brand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a cat that had severe allergies to common meats like chicken and beef. She did really well on Fromm's salmon variety. I am fairly certain they sell this for dogs as well. It can be expensive, though... you've been warned...

But really, the best way to find a good food is by trial and error. Get a food that has the least ingredients possible and preferably grain free like ::::COACH:::: suggested, and see if they do well on it. If not, switch to another, and so on until you find one that works. It took us almost a year of trial and error to figure out it was the chicken and maybe the beef that was causing our cat to break out under her chin severely, and have to have her anal glands expressed periodically on food that wasn't right for her.

Also, a bit of advice from someone who's been there... when you find that food that works, stick to it! In a year or two, you'll forget why you are feeding them the fish based food that smells terrible and makes your whole house stink, so you'll be tempted to try another, less smelly food... don't do it! ;)

I had another cat (I have more experience with cats then dogs, sorry!) that had to be on a raw diet. I used to grind up whole rabbits and feed that to him along with a recipe of vitamin supplements added in. He did amazing on that, and it was much cheaper then the store bought/prepped raw foods (he actually used to throw those up...). But be careful, you have to make sure they're getting all the nutrients they need, so research research research if you go down this path.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could anyone tell me what could possibly be going on with my 4 month old pitbull

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
The poor boy has to be miserable. It could be an allergic reaction but it looks like there is a loss of hair which could be mange or something else.
I suggest getting him to the vet tomorrow morning. The guy needs relief ASAP.

Joe

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Looks like demodectic mange. My newest rescue is battling that. I use Ivomec and Immuplex he is getting better. If it is demo mange he will grow out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are trying to treat demodex, the vet may have a number of suggestions, but my vet had me try a very recent (in the last two months) discovery that he heard about from the local vet school.

There is a new flea/tick oral pill called Bravecto: BRAVECTO: FDA-approved chewable tablet for dogs against fleas and ticks

What they are finding is that is you feed it every two months, it works extremely well at eliminating demodex. When I got my dog about two months back, he was covered all over his body in scabs, hairless patches, dandruff and tested positive for demodex. The shelter had him on ivermectin which wasnt working very well. The bravecto seems to have eliminated all issues and now he is shiny and very healthy and all of his bald spots are fully grown in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there - I'm new here and my male ampt is dealing with some skin issues. He was under weight and living in horrid conditions so I rescued him at 13 weeks. No vaccines, no deworming, nothing. I ended up taking him to the vet to get checked and everything up to date and he said everything looked fine. However I noticed a weird scab/bump that had pulled hair out that the vet said to keep an eye on and he now has bald spots, he's itchy and in some of the bald patches there is now almost pimple like bumps. The vet had said it may be fleas so we treated that (didn't work) and I also changed his food from the orijin puppy (chicken based) to the orijin 6 fish thinking it may be food allergies; this also has done nothing. My next thought might be mange with a secondary bacterial infection? He's going back on Tuesday for skin scrapes but is soooo itchy and I'm looking for something I can do to tie him over until then. I've tried a heavily diluted solution of tea tree and coconut oil, aloe gel.... any thoughts or suggestions? He's 21 weeks and 38lbs (give or take a lb). Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Welcome to the forum Axlelpup, sorry to hear about your boy. While waiting to get into see the vet you could try some Benadryl to help relieve the itching. Please let us know how things go.

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts