Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tuesday a stray pitbull puppy (about 6 months) came into my yard 2 play with with my other pits.. he stayed.. lol.. question i have is he has spots between his shoulders tha are thin and the skin has some bumps and thought itb might be mange? he doesnt scratch at it much, gave hi a oatmeal bath and he didnt lose any hair around the areas?.. if he had it wouldnt the hair fall out? what do you think???

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Get him to the vet quick to get it checked out. If it is sarcoptic mange is is contagious to other dogs as well as people. If it is demodedic mange it is not contagious but can become very severe if left untreated. It is caused by heredity and or a weak immune system.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Do you have a photo. It could be anything from flea bites, mange or just a hot spot.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Sarcoptic mange starts under the belly and arm pits and the dog would be itching non stop. Demodex mange normally starts around the eyes and lips and works it's way back. If it is between the shoulder blade my guess would be an allergic reaction to flea and tick drops that you put in between the shoulder blades. When you get a reaction you will see thinning of the hair and bumps. Wash the pup down with dawn dish soap to remove any left over residue and watch him for a few days.

If the dog was in good condition you should try to find the owner, someone may have just lost him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hair Loss can be numerous things. Some good advice has been given.

Classic Demodex mange patterns can be like performance said around the eyes, muzzle, as well as the legs. But can be anywhere on the dog. However I have seen localized with ONLY spots on the legs. The difference between localized and generalized is Less than 4 spots is considered localized. More than 4 equals generalized.

01 Demodectic Mange - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Also when there is excessive scratching due to an allergy, whether it be environmental, or flea, or anything really. Dogs can get a staph infection in their skin. Which can cause scabby bumps, and hair loss.

For example I just picked up a dog that has a healing staph infection. She has hair-loss and flaky skin and not itchy. The previous environment she was in had fleas. The hair-loss is in the spots where she was scratching from the fleas. The shoulders, base of tail. She was skin scraped. Negative. Once she was removed from the environment where the fleas were. No more itching. However due to the excessive itching there was hairloss and due to the scratching staph was able to set in the skin.

01 Pyoderma - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Hot Spots are a Moist dermatitis. They are localized spots that can pop up overnight. And are very itchy to the dog. Not to mention stinky! With antibiotics and shaving the area and allowing it to dry it will heal.

01 Hot Spots (Pyotraumatic Dermatitis) - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Either way good luck and I hope everything works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts