Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I both got pups from the same litter. I got my boy end of June, hers end of July. I just got a text from her bf asking if I noticed any pimples, scabes or if my boy intensely scratches. I said the ONLY time my boy has had pimples on his stomach is when she got her boy(Loki). In fact, I even had the vet take a look at it and she didn't seem worried, and besides, that was almost two months ago he hasn't had them since.

Her bf said now his other dog has bumps, and scabs on neck and head and the vet said Loki most likely has mange and gave it to his other dog. His vet also thinks that since Loki has it, another dog from the litter or the WHOLE litter has it.

Is it likely Loki got it elsewhere? Or is the vet correct? They also live in NY, I'm in LA. The only time Diesel was around Loki was end of July when my friend first got him. They were together for a week. Haven't been around each other since.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just thought of something, if their dog spread it to another one of their dogs, it CAN'T be the mange from the mother dog.

That link said "Sarcoptic mange is usually spread where large numbers of poorly maintained dogs are maintained in crowded conditions - such as at animal shelters, boarding kennels and pet shops. It is also transferred at grooming salons through towels, clippers and improperly sanitized caging. Mother dogs in recovery or in long-term balance with the parasite often transmit it to their offspring. So puppies from puppy mills and unsanitary breeders are also a major source of the disease."

Besides having Loki and her boyfriends other dog, they have two Pomeranians who keep reproducing so in total they have about 10 dogs.

·
scratchin hard
2,147 Posts
u gonna think I nuts,but have seen it passed from the dam to just the females.....good medicated shampoo and some oatmeal condidtioner...anti biotics but cant think of the name..i'll see tho..but check the home remedies thread...also..

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I just thought of something, if their dog spread it to another one of their dogs, it CAN'T be the mange from the mother dog.

That link said "Sarcoptic mange is usually spread where large numbers of poorly maintained dogs are maintained in crowded conditions - such as at animal shelters, boarding kennels and pet shops. It is also transferred at grooming salons through towels, clippers and improperly sanitized caging. Mother dogs in recovery or in long-term balance with the parasite often transmit it to their offspring. So puppies from puppy mills and unsanitary breeders are also a major source of the disease."

Besides having Loki and her boyfriends other dog, they have two Pomeranians who keep reproducing so in total they have about 10 dogs.

Most dogs have demodex. It's just dormant. But it doesn't spread. Sarcoptic is what spreads. So you are correct. I would just keep an eye on your dog, and tell your friend to get hers treated.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Could just be allergies. Many of those pimple scab bump things are allergy related. I did foster a dog that had demodex and he did have scabs. But from what I have seen mange usually starts in the face and legs...
Allergies often start on the top of the head, down the back, and the bum. Ask her what food they are on. I say if your dog is doing just fine, then I wouldn't be worried about him getting mange...their vet could always do a scrape to rule out mange.

Here is a dog with allergies...her back legs are bald.

And here are the scabs, and random bald spots...I gotta get a picture of her from the top, the scabs are really obvious.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When they first for Loki they bought BB Wilderness, pretty sure that's what he's still on not 100% sure considering their Pomeranian just had 4 more puppies. Could have switched to something cheaper but I'm not certain. I feel like if I ask, they will say BB Wilderness regardless.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean :)

I'd just tell them that your pup is perfectly fine and that if their pup has the hair loss, that you recommend a skin scrape to rule out mange and that way if it is the contagious kind then you know not to let the pups play

Reactions: mccoypitbulls

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They live in NY so our dogs won't be playing together any time soon. I was just worried bc in July they were together but I haven't noticed anything unusual about on my boy. My friend was making it like it was the kind they are born with but if there other dog has it, it's obviously the contagious kind and most likely caught it out where they live.

I've never been to their house in NY. So I do not know the living conditions but I do know it's not a full house and they have over 10 dogs. I remember reading that dogs can get mange from crowded dirty places where there are a lot of dogs. So I'm not too worried, I'll just keep an eye on Diesel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts