Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mason is 9 months old now. I noticed his head seems to be a bit small for his body. He's got a big chest. Do you think his head will catch up to the rest of his body? Compared to his parents, who are Razor/ Gotti line, they have huge block heads. He was neutered at 5 1/2 months old and I've heard some people say neutering at a young age affects their growth. Do you agree?

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
they grow up for the first year and out for the second. usually. dont worry his head will prolly catch up. :p he looks great tho!

·
Super Moderator
4,656 Posts
Still plenty of time left for him to grow.
And he is very handsome. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. He's a little snuggle bug. It just kinda irks me when I bump into his siblings owners. They say "his head is so small!" And they say I neutered him too young so he's going to be small.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
From 9 months compared to 13 months my males head POPPED. I look at pics of him now from when he was younger and it's a totally different dog lol. His Ch. daddy was the same way. At 6 months old nobody wanted him but he grew up to be a ABKC CH.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
Oh and I don't buy that neuter stunts their growth thing... Odin was neutered when I got him from the shelter... he was 49lbs and now he's pushin 75 lean...

·
Super Moderator
4,656 Posts
There is still plenty of time for him to grow Kristen, just keep doing what you're doing.
He's already handsome, and you don't need some bobble headed gargoyle who keeps tipping forward. LOL!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your advice. I just tell the other owners of his siblings that I did not get him to be a show dog or a weight pull dog. He is a family dog.

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
I believe neutering actually has the opposite effect as far as overall size. I've been told that they actually end up being larger than un-altered dogs. I do not have any facts to back that up though so don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Neuter or spaying early makes the dog grow taller. It has something to do with the leg plates not closing. Also the dogs will grow at a slower steadier rate when neutered spayed young. My girl was spayed at 8 weeks and has been one slow grower:)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Oh and I don't buy that neuter stunts their growth thing... Odin was neutered when I got him from the shelter... he was 49lbs and now he's pushin 75 lean...
Neutering young doesn't mean they wont keep growing, it simply means there is a high risk of growth being interrupted.. If Odin wasn't neutered yet he may be pushing 85 - 90 pounds, or he may be the same weight he is now.

There are far more studies, examples, etc that back up this entirely. Of course, you will have a few that it changes none as well.

I say this because you can't base your opinion simply on one dog.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I also have a hard time since all dogs in litters are different and not always the same altered or not.

Plus if you alter a dog how do you know it would have been bigger unaltered since they never had the chance! Soooo weird to me lol

My boy stopped filling out around 3. Mason still has a few years yet :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
He's cute, and he looks like he has a normal sized head for a 9 month old puppy (then again, I am probably not the one to ask the opinion of, since I find the fascination bordering on obsession, of head size as any sort of merit to a dog to be ludicrous)
Enjoy him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts