Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of this? I have been reading " how to breed dogs " by Leon F. Whitney and ther is a chapter about how heredity changes. There is a piece about "birth marking" and a story about a guy named, Frank Hall from KY who was a fox hunter and owned a bitch named FASHION. The story goes on to say that he had entered her in a field trial and a number 14 was painted on her side as an ID mark. All the fox hunters knew of this dog and her breeding was said to be excellent. Several months later she was bred to a dog named Pat Stotts. 9 weeks later she whelped her litter of pups and Frank took some pictures. He never notcied anything wrong with the pups and would later give 3 pups to a guy named Dave Black. As the pups grew older, Dave noticed a 14 on the side of one of the females. At first it was barely noticeable, but as the pup grew the 14 became more noticeable. The book has pictures that show it and it is clearly a 14. I thought this was very interesting and wonder if anyone has gave this a shot? This book has a few other similar stories, but it is labeled as coincidences of course. I was just curious if yall have heard of this, or been naive enough to try it? lol

Their is also a lot of debate about it being ok to breed dogs in their first heat. It is said that some breeders used to do this to "stunt a dogs growth". Which is what cattle breeders do. But no facts that it will a dog. And that a bitch will not even come into season until she has reached her natural size, though she may not be fully "filled out"

- When ever the question comes up in a group discussion someone says " Well, it wouldnt be right for a 13 yr old girl to have a baby." This us a case of anthropomorphizing the dog. There is no basis for comparison; the 13 yr old child is nowhere near grown when she first menstruates, and a bitch is ALMOST always fully grown when she first comes into heat.

There seems to be no reason not to breed the first time she is ready and often many good reasons for doing so. Some breed enthusiasts believe that developing a litter of puppies tends to give the bitch a better spring of rib and makes early breeding desirable. Others want puppies in the spring and not in the fall and rather not wait a yr and it be fall again when she is ready again. Leon says he has done very many first season breeding and never seen a bitch harmed in any way by it. Some Boston Terrier breeders do it saying it makes their BT's pelvis more pliable and later better able to whelp. And that most bitches wont come into season until they are physically sound and in fair condition. Although some will be too thin, or too fat to be recommended for breeding, but can change diet while pregnant. If too big exercise if too thin feed.

With all this said I have heard many credible things on Leon F. Whitney and sure many of you have read his books, but I was curious to know what yall thought about that^ Is he a bad breeder, Outdated info, crazy, Or what?
Ill hang up and listen

PS Ill share more of the book over time

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
the rules of today do not mimic the rules of nature, im sure back when before they even discovered the united states 13 year olds were getting pregnant and they didnt see anything wrong with it even if you look at english culture today(yes i watch to much tv) the old style english/irish people even travelers marry at 16 and that's the majority of that culture. i think that its just become a moral thing that we all agree with and accept. i'm not a breeder nor do i know much about breeding but i wouldnt think that 1st heat breeding wouldnt be a horrible thing, at the same time i dont know that too many dogs in the wild are mounted in their first heat or bred back to back.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I have seen many bitches bred first heat and have been excellent mothers, IMO its a myth that it will stunt their growth. Dogmen bred on first heat all the time.

Little off topic but a Floyd quote I really like

Breeding untested dogs doesn’t take anything away from a dog that will produce anyways if he/she is genetically programed to throw it.
The same with breeding a bitch in her first heat, they all have the ability to produce and will do so regardless of age or proven ability.

- Floyd Boudreaux -

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
lol thats not off topic at all its a rather good quote considering the subject:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just read about racing dogs while pregnant. 1 stopped to have a pup on the track, picked it up and kept racing ! LOL

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
lol now thats some heart.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For real !

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
the best time for a female to have babies is from 1.5 years minimum to 4 years maximum.. this is just for health and bounce back ability for the female .. not maturity but bodily and physical health.......

for a woman.. not much different.. 18-28 best birthing times for mind body and soul, however inexperienced they may be, the body and mind and heart will bounce back faster and the babies will be healthier.. not neccessarily the best mother nurture skills , but not real good for woman to have babies past the age of 30 for the health and bounce back ability of the woman..

same is with dogs and most mammals.. .. MOST.. not all..

mothers pass on blood herritage found in plasma and red blood cells, fathers pass on nuclear herritage found in the bone marrow. .. hope this clears things up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts