Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not right in the head, so this may be a dumb question LOL? I was wondering if any of you who are feeding raw have your pup "hunt" or search for their food. The reason why I'm asking is because for one I'm thinking of switching over to raw and two I live out in the country and as my pup and I go for our walks I find that she is very good at finding "food" out in the fields and woods. We will be walking and she will all of a sudden dig up a mouse nest or find a pheasant. I'm not suggesting I let her loose and she actually goes hunting for her meals, but instead I'm suggesting that I go out ahead of her and hide her carefully measured out meal and have her search for it. I think it would challenge her mentally and give her that satisfaction of "hunting" for her food like a dog in the wild would do. Like I said this may be a dumb question, but do any of you do this or think this might be a good thing for the dogs. Maybe not do this for every meal, but for some of them? Input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
situation dictates what you can do or not..
my dogs catch their dinner often..ish

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
When I lived in the country my Presas hunted often so if they caught there own food great but if not I fed.
You must make sure you are aware of what they catch some diseases can be crossed over .. Raccoons, foxes, coyotes all carry the same diseases as dogs due to being in the family. So be aware they can catch rabies, distemper, parvo from them.
Have fun .. Hunting is a blast!

·
Registered
35 Posts
id say it would be a good idea if you could find a spot which has very little rats or anything that may carry diease"s around im not sure where u live and what wild life ye have over there as geisthexe said hunting is good fun for you and the dog but theres many issues with it could only take something simple like a rat to spread diesase id say give it a shot if you think its safe but with that said thats just imo and im not saying its right

1 - 4 of 4 Posts