Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do pit bulls point? Or is that only a lab/GSP thing?

Cause I was playing with Beia with the hose,and when I would stop, she would stand straight,and point at the hose,with this intense stare, like "You move you die" lol

I got it on video,if you need more of a visual view.

You can really see the point at 1:33 in.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Loki does this all the time when we are fetching. I think it is just a dog thing.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
They can point :D

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could very well be. I've just never had a dog,besides my lab mix,that pointed. That's why I wondered.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Dosia points at stuff around the yard. He usually points at me when I have his ball :)

This one he's pointing up at a squirrel in the tree above us lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
When a pointer points it's intense and one-track-minded. All dogs of any breed can do that, if they get intense and one-track-minded enough.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Generally dogs that point are reserved for those types that fall under pointers and hounds. There was a study conducted i believe in 2008 that linked "pointing" with a unique genetic strain in relation to pointers as well. I've never personally seen an APBT point unless they were mixed with a type of hunting hound but its possible for any dog to do so. Usually though a dog that displays "pointing" just has a paw up and giving the impression of pointing vs actually pointing and lasts on a few moments. For instance if you have a ball and a dog is waiting for you to throw the ball, a paw may go up in anticipation. This is different than that of a hunting dog.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Yea KM that's exactly what D does. He gets all excited and starts drooling lol

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Generally dogs that point are reserved for those types that fall under pointers and hounds. There was a study conducted i believe in 2008 that linked "pointing" with a unique genetic strain in relation to pointers as well. I've never personally seen an APBT point unless they were mixed with a type of hunting hound but its possible for any dog to do so. Usually though a dog that displays "pointing" just has a paw up and giving the impression of pointing vs actually pointing and lasts on a few moments. For instance if you have a ball and a dog is waiting for you to throw the ball, a paw may go up in anticipation. This is different than that of a hunting dog.
:goodpost: that is what I was going to say, an intense stare in not the same as a true pointing behavior by a hound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts