Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read a post from an owner trying to put weight on his formally abused dog & was recommended adding meat to his dogs diet. I have a similar issue with my 2 year old rescue pup. Although he wasn't abused he was attacked twice by an aggressive dog and the owners gave him away. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what I can do to aid him as I've tried dog food after dog food (he gets tired of a brand & won't eat it or would just pick at it). He's a happy boy, with muscle definition, but underweight 44lbs. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Give us some pics. He may be at a good weight but you just feel like he's underweight. If he truly does need some weight put on I recommend Satin Balls. I think there's a recipe somewhere on here. Also what food are you feeding. That plays a roll in weight. Also don't feel bad about feeding over those recommended feeding amounts. Some dogs need more and some less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dog Carnivore Liver Collar Comfort
Judah (the brindle) laying next to my 20 week old female Luna. She's 42.5lbs.

Dog Dog breed Collar Carnivore Working animal

Judah by himself.

He had Wilderness, Evo, heck I even tried Purina and Pedigree out if desperation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Feed him a high protein food. I have the same problem with my Winston he gets tired of food too. I started him on a grain free high protein like instinct. Also feed him more often but still exercise him. Winston is still lean but weighs 65 pounds. His muscle definition increased but like I said he's still lean. I can feed him 3 times a day and he doesn't gain anymore weight. Some dogs just look that way.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
I think he looks fine. He could probably use a bit more muscle though. But I see no hip bones or caved areas in the ribs and those are the biggest identifiers of needing more food. Does he have nice muscle coverage over his hip points?

Evo is great grain free, high protein food. Although it is low in carbs, maybe thats the issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@BullyGal...he has muscle around his hips, but him being so light especially compared to my other two coupled with people saying he's so thin, I'm just concerned.

@Heather1226...I'm going to look into that brand of feed.

Thank you both. I'll keep you posted.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Don't listen to most people. Most don't know an in shape dog when they see it. You also can't use another dog to judge off of. All dogs are different. Both my dogs weigh the same, but look drastically different. One is lean and muscled while the other is just lean with no real muscles. Both are fed the same, but do not do the same amount of exercise. One plays vigorously with the spring pole, while the other just eats grass.

And one is a pup, the other is basically full grown.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I agree he looks just fine, people may be comparing him to american bullys { alot of people think bullys are american pitbulls and so when they see one or one similar in body structure they are quick to label them as thin}.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@BullyGal...you're right I have been comparing all three of my dogs and basing Judah's size off of the others growth. Judah is heck of a lot more active, wish is probably contributing to his leaner than average look, but with that isn't there more I could do so he maintains his current weight? He's exercised a lot & mostly because he lives for a crazy, high energy, full paced run.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
You can increase his food by like a half a cup and see if he starts to gain weight. But some dogs just stay lean. And as long as he isn't dropping weight and showing hips and the space inbetween ribs doesn't start to concave inwards, I don't see a real need to add anything special.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts