Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted a few opinions on this. My B.F.'s parents had a chocolate lab named Charlie, he had a severe anxiety disorder. He would go in to panic attacks where he would run around in circles panting and whining. He was also terrified of the dark. They tried having him sleep in bed with them and put night lights up but he would still shake and whine all night. The vet put him on doggy Prozac but it made him worse. He would have them more often and would slum himself into the wall or door. They decided to take him off the pill and give him marijuana. They would give him a half a cookie in the morning, half in the after noon, and one before bed. He started having less attacks and started playing and swimming more in the pool. They were all getting better sleep too. I'm not saying anyone should take their dog off pills or any thing, but I do believe that giving him the special cookies helped Charlie have a better quality of life. If it can help people can it help dogs as well? Any thoughts?

Here's Charlie in the pool with Caleb, Maggie the bulldog and Lola the double wide Lab.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Well it sounds like it worked, thats enough in my book.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
hmm... not sure about dogs... but it sure the heck helped me get an appetite and hold it down when going through chemo..

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Lol i could go on for hours about medical use... Thanks for sharing yet another success story...

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
CTV News | New over-the-counter drug gives your pooch pot

Pet owners across Canada have a new a new way to treat the ailments of their beloved four-legged friend -- through cannabis treatment.

While most Canadians are aware that medicinal marijuana is legal in Canada, many may not know that there is a product available that also offers cannabis health benefits for your pets.

Med-Marijuana's newest product, Medi-Paws, is being used by Canadian pet owners for a host of animal issues such as cardiac health, arthritis, liver and kidney functions.

The product is a supplement that contains 100 per cent pure cannabis sativa oil. Med Marijuana uses customized seeds using a certified grower through Health Canada.

Sherry Martin gives her 18-month-old dog, Jade, a shot of Med Marijuana's Medi-Paws everyday.

Martin gives him the cannabis drug as preventative measure because he is part German Shepard - a breed that is notorious for hip problems.

"There are no psychoactive properties to it," Martin told CTV Calgary. "You won't get the munchies - - humans or pets. That's what makes it legal for over the counter sale."

Canna-Pets is safe for animal consumption because the level of THC, the psychoactive ingredient, is only two to three parts per million -- well below Health Canada's benchmark of 10 parts per million.

"The oil is pressed out of the seeds under very controlled conditions in an inert environment, which is key to maintaining medicinal properties of the oil," Martin said.

So far, so good

Wanda Vockeroth, a vet at Marda Loop Veterinary Centre, says that several of her clients use the cannabis supplement on their pets.

"Some people say they've seen a lot of improvement but certainly it hasn't given any bad issues," Vockeroth told CTV Calgary.

She said the cannabis drug seems to be especially helpful for arthritic conditions.

"Their dogs seem to handle it very well, no bad side effects, and either improvement in movement and/or coat," Vockeroth said.

The product is available at heath stores and some pet stores.
quit search on the subject yielded this, there was more links up there i was just to lazy to look.

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
From personal experience.... marijuana only made my panic and anxiety disorder worse after so much usage. For a long time I found it great for depression and anxiety. And I have no clue what happened but I just started having panic attacks from it, every time. I'd get zoned out, start getting short of breath and totally freaked out and paranoid and go into a full out panic attack. I think it has to do with when I got bronchitis, and didn't know and continued smoking ciggs and weed anyway. It got to be really painful and I went to the doc and they told me to cut off the ciggs. So I did my best, but kept smoking. I finally got tired of the effects and panic so I quit smoking EVERYTHING. And I've been free of it all for over 7 months, and I feel pretty good. My anxiety is still high but I'm pregnant so I can't take anything right now for it.

But since marijuana increases paranoia and anxiety... I can't see it being good for that condition.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
thats all in your head... anxiety is all in your head...

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
From personal experience.... marijuana only made my panic and anxiety disorder worse after so much usage. For a long time I found it great for depression and anxiety. And I have no clue what happened but I just started having panic attacks from it, every time. I'd get zoned out, start getting short of breath and totally freaked out and paranoid and go into a full out panic attack. I think it has to do with when I got bronchitis, and didn't know and continued smoking ciggs and weed anyway. It got to be really painful and I went to the doc and they told me to cut off the ciggs. So I did my best, but kept smoking. I finally got tired of the effects and panic so I quit smoking EVERYTHING. And I've been free of it all for over 7 months, and I feel pretty good. My anxiety is still high but I'm pregnant so I can't take anything right now for it.

But since marijuana increases paranoia and anxiety... I can't see it being good for that condition.
It doesn't affect everyone the same way though. There are people out there that really shouldn't be smoking. They are either like you, or already have issues that smoking just isn't the best for.

But like the rest of us who can smoke and function in every day life and continue to live a successful life, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Back on topic though, Off the Leash: Marijuana and Dogs | NORML Daily Audio Stash theres a pretty good link with some info on animals and marijuana.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Yea and people with anxiety who smoke it can go both ways, increase or decrease it. And its good that you recognized it affects you in a negative way and you stopped doing what you were doing. I respect that. Theres a lot of people out there with those kinds of problems that keep smoking and it affects their every day life, and people look at them like idiots because they smoke weed, when really they already had a problem to begin with. Just makes responsible users look bad.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
I smoked for 12 years, had no problem giving it up, and never had any anxiety from it. Nicotine was different story. Any sort of smoking increases anxiety, because it raises blood pressure. Now in these medications, or "cookies" We're talking about ingesting it without burning the carcinogens which affect your body more. And the effects are weaker because smoking combustion will give you the strongest effects. If you have anxiety, it normally stems from deeper psychological issues and is reinforced like when we inadvertantly reinforce a dogs insecure behavior. The only "paranoia" I ever experienced was from the fact that it's not legal where I live or where I have lived, and so obviously I was cautious to not be caught for my actions. But that's another story in itself. I just think that it's easy to say that it's "bad" or contributes to nervous disorders, when in fact it does have a calming effect. Different strands however do have slightly different effects on the nervous system, for example indica is more sedative than sativa, which will make you feel giddy and excited. I don't endorse smoking now, I just have thoughts on why it's stupid to NOT decriminalize it, and after numerous studies that have been publicized the masses still believe it to be a problem more than a solution. Well I can compare that to what the media and press say about APBTs, we fear the unknown and what we dont understand. The reasons why it was prohibited was strictly about the textile industry and leaders with political ties (conservatives) scared about losing money. Capitalism and our society's quest for money and power ruin a lot of good things... JMO ... But feel free to disagree as I know many of you will...

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:rofl::rofl::rofl: You guys! Thanx for the links thal's cool.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Actually Oz, the masses are starting to agree with decriminalization, i saw a pole the other day, 52% support and even a lot of the baby boomers, who were once the problem, are starting to agree..

But once again, way off topic, more doggies and medical please. I think its a good topic.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
It doesn't affect everyone the same way though. There are people out there that really shouldn't be smoking. They are either like you, or already have issues that smoking just isn't the best for.

But like the rest of us who can smoke and function in every day life and continue to live a successful life, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Back on topic though, Off the Leash: Marijuana and Dogs | NORML Daily Audio Stash theres a pretty good link with some info on animals and marijuana.
And I agree with that! I have no probs with it, I miss it sometimes. I might do it again someday... but now I have no plans, (not to mention I'm pregnant!)

I

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
:rofl: Yeah that's why it's a "mental" disorder.
Im sorry my wording might have come off like I don't take it seriously. Its not something to take lightly... But it is a generalization that it makes people paranoid because every individual is different. And unless youre growing it yourself and know what strains youre crossing, etc, we can't fully predict or understand the effects on each individual.

I know someone personally who was prescribed xanax for anxiety, and they became dependent on it. Because certain drugs will completely alter the chemicals in your brain, but a lot of those receptors and things are activated or shut off by certain discoveries or events in someones life. She got taken off of xanax and became a "monster", however which a couple of years of counseling and therapy, a psychologist helped her figure out the root problems and causes for this "imbalance". I have seen a lot of people ruined by over the counter medications, and I believe its because they are truly a short cut to something that can be worked on through emotional therapy. I personally wouldn't smoke for depression, anxiety, or anger management or anythign like that because most of those disorders or conditions if you want to call them stem from events, trauma.... Just another one of my opinions. Now if you have cancer or chronic pain due to compacted discs, or pain from immune diseases like HIV and AIDs, well there is very little that can be done to treat anything but the pain. And so in those cases, I believe that marijuana is effective. However anything abused, or overindulged in can become counter effective. So it's not for everyone and anybody. again, JMO

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
oz u leave me hangin in chat brah

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Actually Oz, the masses are starting to agree with decriminalization, i saw a pole the other day, 52% support and even a lot of the baby boomers, who were once the problem, are starting to agree..

But once again, way off topic, more doggies and medical please. I think its a good topic.
Well yes the masses might have started coming around, I read that 13 states are creating laws around medicinal use in case legislation in those states decide to adopt decriminalization. But this has only been recently. Compare this to the days of prohibition dating back to when the actual man JP Morgan had political ties, and textile big dogs were fighting to ban the plant, which has medicinal use, as well as a more renewable source to produce cloth and paper... But all prohibition is counter productive because it creates an underground market and a subculture that thrives off that. To me there's a lot more violence in the drug game because of the RIDICULOUS penalties associated with it, especially when you see violent offenders getting lesser and lesser sentences and charges.

Now again, there's gonna be issues even if it became fully legal and taxable because there are addicts and people who would use it to cope problems that need to be solved and evaluated through psychological treatment, and cognative thinking. Many people are dependent on alcohol, and it is a problem that fills up shelters and rehabs accross the nation, but if it's not one thing it's another. But you don't see a big problem in moonshine and running underground alcohol game. You don't see people "hustlin" hooch on the street when it's available and the mom and pops shops and 711.. And in a college town like I live in, there's a liquor store every block.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im sorry my wording might have come off like I don't take it seriously. Its not something to take lightly... But it is a generalization that it makes people paranoid because every individual is different. And unless youre growing it yourself and know what strains youre crossing, etc, we can't fully predict or understand the effects on each individual.

I know someone personally who was prescribed xanax for anxiety, and they became dependent on it. Because certain drugs will completely alter the chemicals in your brain, but a lot of those receptors and things are activated or shut off by certain discoveries or events in someones life. She got taken off of xanax and became a "monster", however which a couple of years of counseling and therapy, a psychologist helped her figure out the root problems and causes for this "imbalance". I have seen a lot of people ruined by over the counter medications, and I believe its because they are truly a short cut to something that can be worked on through emotional therapy. I personally wouldn't smoke for depression, anxiety, or anger management or anythign like that because most of those disorders or conditions if you want to call them stem from events, trauma.... Just another one of my opinions. Now if you have cancer or chronic pain due to compacted discs, or pain from immune diseases like HIV and AIDs, well there is very little that can be done to treat anything but the pain. And so in those cases, I believe that marijuana is effective. However anything abused, or overindulged in can become counter effective. So it's not for everyone and anybody. again, JMO
Agreed I use it for my knee. I have a bone growth on the side of my knee that they want to remove, wich involves cutting a piece of my knee out with a bone saw. It makes my knee get stiff and some time my knee cap won't move. I'll tell you guys one thing I'd much rather smoke then ever take another Oxycotin. F that stuff. Worst thing that I've ever taken. I don't even know why they make that sh*t!

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts

I agree with medications. Although if I was not pregnant I would still take klonopin as needed. I never had addiction or dependency problems with them. But I think I am a person who does not develop addiction easily, the only thing I "need" is my dr. pepper! lol

I think therapy should come first, but usually from my experience docs just want to shove the pills at you and think you'll get better.

I found out how much vitamins and minerals can actually help with a lot of psychiatric conditions. But no doc told me that!

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Well yes the masses might have started coming around, I read that 13 states are creating laws around medicinal use in case legislation in those states decide to adopt decriminalization. But this has only been recently. Compare this to the days of prohibition dating back to when the actual man JP Morgan had political ties, and textile big dogs were fighting to ban the plant, which has medicinal use, as well as a more renewable source to produce cloth and paper... But all prohibition is counter productive because it creates an underground market and a subculture that thrives off that. To me there's a lot more violence in the drug game because of the RIDICULOUS penalties associated with it, especially when you see violent offenders getting lesser and lesser sentences and charges.

Now again, there's gonna be issues even if it became fully legal and taxable because there are addicts and people who would use it to cope problems that need to be solved and evaluated through psychological treatment, and cognative thinking. Many people are dependent on alcohol, and it is a problem that fills up shelters and rehabs accross the nation, but if it's not one thing it's another. But you don't see a big problem in moonshine and running underground alcohol game. You don't see people "hustlin" hooch on the street when it's available and the mom and pops shops and 711.. And in a college town like I live in, there's a liquor store every block.
Oz I'm always amazed at the knowledge that comes out of your little ****** head :rofl:

Now switch over to chat and say whats up I've got a cool video you could watch that shows just how backwards our nation is on the stance of dealing out prescription pills that are equal to heroin, but yet marijuana is illegal.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts