Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have 2 injured dogs due to another dog coming into my kennel last night and fighting them. I need help on figuring out what medicine to give them to help them heal and to use before the infection sets in. I have cleaned up all wounds on both of them but unfortunately they both have faces that are swollen. I can't afford to take them to the vet until Friday because of money issues. I have pencillin and cephalexin on hand. Can anyone help me with which medication would be better for them?

Any help would be great!!!!!

Thanks in advance.
Melanie

·
Registered
628 Posts
I use a standard triple antibiotic ointment on wounds and flush them with saline twice a day if it's something minor. Don't give antibiotics without talking to your vet. Giving antibiotics when not necessary can cause them to become antibiotic resistant just like humans. Do not use hydrocortisone on open wounds as it slows healing. You can give a 25mg benadryl which generally helps with swelling and helps keep them a bit calmer.

Hope all goes well for you adn your babies!

·
Banned
4,383 Posts
if you keep the wounds clean you should not have to worry about all the other stuff keeping them clean is the most important part imo

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
cephlexin will do fine. Are you familiar with the dosages?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts