Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frankly the thought of the general public doubling as geneticists scares me :eek:

Heres a little more info on the unfriendly merle gene:

Both heterozygous merle and homozygous double merle dogs may exhibit auditory and ophthalmic abnormalities including mild to severe deafness, increased intraocular pressure, ametropia, microphthalmia and colobomas. The double merle genotype may also be associated with abnormalities of skeletal, cardiac and reproductive systems.

The merle gene is not anyones friend. Why anyone would want to introduce this or try and further it in a breed is beyond me.

You can't breed a better merle gene (it's more like avoiding a land mine)....just ask breeders of the Shetland Sheepdog, Collie, Border Collie, Dachsund, Aussie, and Cardigan Welsh Corgi.

Remeber the saying....watch what you wish for, you just might get it :snap:

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I guess I did realize that the Austrailian Shepperd had any more health issue than any other dog. I wanted one so bad when I was younge. My Mama was going to get one but Nichii a White wolf x german shepperd came into our home. She was a nice dog. I wonder if I would have pits now if I had gotten my Aussie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts