Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT -- A legislative attempt to eventually ban pit bull ownership in Michigan has been leashed.

Democratic state Rep. Tim Bledsoe introduced the legislation to make it illegal to own a pit bull after a 10-year phase out.

But the chairman of the Regulatory Reform Committee in the state House, Republican state Rep. Hugh Crawford, said he's not planning to move on the bill, effectively shelving it.

"I don't think it's a dog problem, I think it's a people problem," Crawford said. "And I don't think the state needs to be in the business of being canine police."

He said he spoke to some pit bull owners in recent days who told him they can be "the greatest, loving dog they ever had."

Bledsoe said a constituent whose niece was mauled by a pit bull came to him for help. After initially dismissing the man's request for legislation, Bledsoe researched the issue and decided a law was needed.

"It seems to me there is reasonable evidence that this is a breed disproportionately likely to be involved in serious attacks," he said.

He noted that the legislation did not call for euthanizing any dogs. If passed, it would bar the breeding and sale of pit bulls after one year. After four years, all pit bulls would have to be spayed or neutered. And after 10 years, no one in Michigan could own a pit bull.

"I'm a little disappointed," he said upon hearing that his bill wouldn't be considered. "I think it deserves a hearing."

Although the legislation is sidelined, Michael Davis, president of the National American Pit Bull Terrier Association, said he fears it could resurface.

Davis, a former Macomb County resident now living in North Carolina, said he has offered to meet Bledsoe to discuss the legislation. Davis favors legislation that targets a dog's behavior rather than its breed. He said owners are ultimately responsible for training their dogs not to be aggressive.

"Any dog's capable of attacking," Davis said.

Those comments were mirrored by Michigan Humane Society spokesman Kevin Hatman, who said the agency opposes breed-specific bans. He said pit bulls are the most popular of the so-called bully breeds among people who raise dogs for fighting, adding to their reputation as dangerous. It's a label that once fell on Doberman pinschers, German shepherds and Rottweilers.

Hatman said his group tests all dogs it gets for good temperament and will allow adoptions of pit bulls and other bully breeds that pass the tests. The dogs are only dangerous through improper care, neglect and cruelty, sometimes deliberate, Hatman said.

But Waterford Supervisor Carl Solden, whose community is believed to have the state's first ban on pit bulls, said the dogs are more prone to attack.

Many insurance companies also say they believe the risk is higher and refuse to issue policies to pit bull owners or require a waiver of the company's responsibility in the case of an attack.

"There's been too many incidents, not only in Waterford, but in other areas," Solden said of pit bull attacks.
http://www.standard.net/topics/dogs/2011/06/10/michigan-pit-bull-ban-shelved

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
It's not over until that darn bill is pulled. It can STILL come back in Sept or in any session in the next 2 years. The guy who put this bill up is fighting. This isn't the end, this is only just the beginning...

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's not over until that darn bill is pulled. It can STILL come back in Sept or in any session in the next 2 years. The guy who put this bill up is fighting. This isn't the end, this is only just the beginning...
This is the truth! Guy is refusing to listen to anything from what i hear.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I highly doubt a place like Michigan will put something like this into effect.
They're so poor over there,I doubt then can afford something like BSL. Not trying to sound offensive.

·
Banned
98 Posts
While this is great news, keep your ears open folks of Michigan. They will try and try. Tacking on crap that has nothing to do with the bill to get other turds to vote for it.

Politicians suck!!!!!

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Yay! But... It could come back. People are so busy trying to blame all others for their own problems, that when they run out of humans to blame, they blame man's best friend. Sad...

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
That's one of the angles I took in my emails to the committee members.

We really can't afford a pit bull ban.

Our state constitution says that any state deficit must be resolved with the new yearly budget. For the past several years, we've had extreme difficulties doing so; to the point, where we've either had a threatened government shut-down (to the wire) or we HAVE had a government shut-down (in 2007 & 2009, IIRC).

All (or most) of our police departments (both local and state) have had severe budget cuts in order to resolve the deficit, leaving us with less police officers and less funding for the officers we do have.

In 2010, three of our major cities (Detroit, Lansing, and Flint) made the FBI's top 25 most violent cities.

How many violent crimes have been committed by a dog, or let alone a pit bull specifically? The CDC states that 0.0002% people die every year from a fatal dog bite. That's somebody's pinky finger or something.

So, we're really going to take much-needed tax dollars and police enforcement away from preventing violent crimes towards enforcing a non-issue that "kills" 0.0002% of people every year?

Really?

Believe me. I brought that up. :)

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
If Oklahoma supreme court says BSL has no legitimate standing to operate or influence the laws in Oklahoma; that if any citizen has an issue with APBT in their town/city in OKLA then bring it to the attention of the state and they will resovle it state to city, as BSL has no ground to stand on and is a slippery slope argument.. Bottom Line.. *you can't beat OKIE common sense* :D :rofl: ... BSL is on its last leg and people need to :flush: it and give it no attention the best thing to do is find the OKLA supreme court findings (public records) and submit a copy to your local polliticians.

BECAUSE NO STATE WANTS TO BELIEVE THE OKIES ARE OF A HIGHER INTELECT THAN THEN UPITY SELVES~ hahahahaha .. you can be the smartes man alive and if your from Oklahoma your going to sound like the dumbest backwoods country folk around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts