Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Silver VIP Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
House Bill 4717 was introduced yesterday 06/06/11 by State Representative Tim Bledsoe This is something we Michiganders need to take action on right away! We can not let this bill get very far.

To find your state Rep: Michigan House of Representatives

For tips for writing letters Defend your dog - fight breed specific legislation - BSL

PLEASE KEEP ALL LETTERS CLEAN!!!!!! We can not be taken seriously if us dog owners are sending out threats, accusals, and other horrible things. Stick to the facts, include stories if you want to but do NOT point fingers at other breeds. Stick to the facts.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/House/htm/2011-HIB-4714.htm
HOUSE BILL No. 4714

June 7, 2011, Introduced by Rep. Bledsoe and referred to the Committee on Regulatory Reform.

A bill to regulate the ownership, possession, sale, and

breeding of pit bulls; to prohibit the ownership or possession of a

pit bull after a certain date; and to prescribe penalties.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

Sec. 1. This act shall be known and may be cited as the "pit

bull regulation and prohibition act".

Sec. 2. As used in this act, "pit bull" means any 1 of the

following:

(a) An American pit bull terrier.

(b) An American Staffordshire bull terrier.

(c) A Staffordshire bull terrier.

(d) A dog displaying the majority of physical traits of any 1

or more of the breeds listed in subdivisions (a) to (c).

(e) A dog exhibiting those distinguishing characteristics

which substantially conform to the standards established by the

American kennel club or united kennel club for any 1 of the breeds

listed in subdivisions (a) to (c).

Sec. 3. Beginning 1 year after the effective date of this act,

a person shall not breed or sell a pit bull in this state.

Sec. 4. Beginning 4 years after the effective date of this

act, a person shall not own or possess a pit bull that has not been

sterilized.

Sec. 5. Beginning 10 years after the effective date of this

act, a person shall not own or possess a pit bull.

Sec. 6. A person who violates this act is guilty of a

misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days,

community service for not more than 500 hours, or both. In

addition, the court shall impose a fine of not less than $500.00 or

more than $2,000.00 and shall order the person to pay the costs of

prosecution.

· hrmph
5,364 Posts
PEOPLE, SEND MESSAGES AND CALL!! I have already messaged my local representative and am encouraging all my friends and fellow pittie owners to do the same! This makes me sick. What if my dog lives past 13? They gonna take her? Heck naw... i wont let this happen!

· K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,358 Posts
hypethetically if all those people would move to keep their dogs, Oklahoma is a NO BSL state ;) How many people would michingan loose if people would move to keep their pets.. Hypethetically?

Maybe you can make an argument and use that a tidbit of use .. I dont know why more states dont just fall in suit with Oklahoma. Idaho dont even hear that noise LOL I dont think BSL will come here .. Idaho is kinda old school country ..

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
at least its not an outright ban like Denver, they are giving you the ability to keep your dogs. Uh so horrible though, but thank goodness they give 10 years to the outright ban. Gives enough time to fight and overturn this bill, if it is made a law.

I and going to send a letter, no good all around and I hope it does not pass!!

· Registered
4,196 Posts
Wasn't too long ago that the Oklahoma anti-BSL clause came under fire. I remember spending a day at the state capital, and it sucked. But in the end, the reps wanted nothing to do with Wesselhoft's bill. Same thing with Texas. Anti-BSLs are great, but we can never let our guard down.

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
Michigan is in the top 5 for unemployment and top 5 in murder rate and the legislature is worried about dogs ?
:goodpost: RIGHT!!! Glad that I am not the only one who thought that, lol.

· h2o APBTs
842 Posts
The message I've sent:

I am writing you in regards to the newly introduced HB 4717, regulating the possession, breeding, and sale of "Pit Bulls."
I recently moved to Indiana from Delaware, where I was an Animal Control Officer of 4 years. I dealt with the worst of dogs, and I can tell you first hand, it is not a breed issue; it is an owner issue. We had very reasonable laws regarding dog bites in the state of DE, where dogs who acted aggressive, or bit a person, were put in front of the Dangerous Dog Panel, where 5 experts on dogs would evaluate the dog, and determine whether or not it was dangerous. This directly targeted the issue of aggressive dogs. We also had Dog at Large laws, involving hefty fines, and for multiple occurrences, it was considered an arrestable offense. If dogs don't run loose, they are very unlikely to be involved in an attack on a human.

It has also been show time and again that Breed Specific Legislation does nothing to help the issue of dog bites, and costs a large amount of money to properly enforce. With Michigan's budget concerns, HB 4717 could cost the state a lot of money, with very little return, if any at all.

As for my interest in the State of Michigan, I often travel to dog shows in MI, and if American Pit Bull Terriers are banned, most of the dog shows I attend would not be able to continue, including the United Kennel Clubs' Premier dog show.

Following, I have included several links to educational websites, that will explain the issues with Breed Specific Legislation, and why it is ineffective.

Pit Bull Rescue Central

ASPCA | Breed Specific Legislation

What is BSL? | Stop BSL

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Reactions: apbtmom76

· Registered
11,488 Posts
Wow Guy's rally together and fight hard! I am praying for you guys .. This type of crap sucks big time. They tried to ban these dog's in my county and they lost. Then they tried to come back with breed restrictions for APBT owner's and they lost again. BSL is a joke and it just doesn't work.

· hrmph
5,364 Posts
It really sucks because if I could, I would leave. Michigan is such a dead end place right now, but as much of a dead end place as it is, my hubby and I own 2 homes and work full time jobs that would not transfer. The houses would not be able to sell for what we would want for them, and we wouldn't have jobs if we moved to another state. So we are stuck here, and we will fight this thing tooth and nail!

· hrmph
5,364 Posts
I messaged my Rep. Dale Zorn yesterday. This is what he sent back to me:

Dear Megan,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the of banning pit bulls in the State of Michigan. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with me on this very important issue.

Representative Bledsoe introduced House Bill 4714, which would regulate the ownership, possession, sale, and breeding of pit bulls, as well as prohibit the ownership or possession of a pit bull after a certain date. In addition, this legislation would stiffen penalties for violating this ban. The bill was just introduced, and has been referred to the Committee on Regulatory Reform.

While this type of legislation does make it illegal to own these dogs, it is still in the very beginning of the legislative process. It is possible that it may never make it to the House for a vote, and if so, amendments may be added in either legislative chamber. Please rest assured that if this bill ever comes before the Michigan House of Representatives for consideration, I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind.

Thank you again for contacting my office. If I can ever be of future assistance on this matter or any other issues pertaining to state government, please do not hesitate to call my office toll free at 1-877-967-6056 or by E-mail at [email protected].

Thank you,

Dale W. Zorn

State Representative

District 56

I am not exactly thrilled with his response, but then again I am not sure what I was expecting. I am just glad that he read my message and what I had to say and that he will take what I said to mind.

· Registered
225 Posts
I read the letter above from your rep, It surprised me how honest he was. I think these guys mostly do nothing till the last minute, then get caught short, but can always beg off responsibility, 'I tried, but nothing I could do'.
It occurs to me that sometimes they don't expect them to pass, but propose hoping to look good to their constituents.
There's a local guy here, who's trying to ban salt in restaurants for example. ( I guess he's trying to appeal to the ultra health conscious fanatics, or people with high blood pressure) It would be illegal for a restaurant to cook with it, or for a customer to add it to their food. I can't imagine that becoming law.
I'll send a polite email, for whatever it's worth.
I wonder if there's some kind of on line resource, a collection of stats re: actual pit bull HA behavior, areas which defeated BSL measures, and why they were defeated, form letters to guide people with their comments...etc, that could be useful in situations like this.

· Registered
776 Posts
I read the letter above from your rep, It surprised me how honest he was. I think these guys mostly do nothing till the last minute, then get caught short, but can always beg off responsibility, 'I tried, but nothing I could do'.
It occurs to me that sometimes they don't expect them to pass, but propose hoping to look good to their constituents.
There's a local guy here, who's trying to ban salt in restaurants for example. ( I guess he's trying to appeal to the ultra health conscious fanatics, or people with high blood pressure) It would be illegal for a restaurant to cook with it, or for a customer to add it to their food. I can't imagine that becoming law.
I'll send a polite email, for whatever it's worth.
I wonder if there's some kind of on line resource, a collection of stats re: actual pit bull HA behavior, areas which defeated BSL measures, and why they were defeated, form letters to guide people with their comments...etc, that could be useful in situations like this.
actually his response was totally vague .. he didnt tell his stand and the tone was that he may possibly be for the law .. just the feeling i got

· Bitch Noone Wanted
8,946 Posts
Michigan Bill Causes Controversary About Banning Pit Bulls

Bill to ban pit bulls in Michigan stirs controversy
Christine Ferretti/ The Detroit News
Grosse Pointe- Pit bull advocates are criticizing newly proposed legislation to regulate and eventually ban the breed in Michigan, while some local authorities are praising the effort.

The state House bill introduced Tuesday by Rep. Timothy Bledsoe, D-Grosse Pointe, is the first statewide attempt to regulate ownership, possession, sale and breeding of pit bulls.

The act targets the American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier and dogs displaying one or more traits of those breeds.

If enacted, the bill would bar breeding of pit bulls a year after passage.

All remaining pits would have to be sterilized within four years and ownership of the dogs would be banned in 10 years. Violators would face misdemeanors of up to 93 days in jail.

Bledsoe said he began researching the issue earlier this year after a constituent was mauled by one of the dogs.

"The evidence is pretty compelling that this is a breed that is a significantly greater threat to public safety than other breeds," he said.
Mike Davis, president of the National American Pit Bull Terrier Association, said the proposed legislation is impossible to enforce.

"We're trying to bring Michigan back," Davis said. "This is just another reason to leave."

A number of Metro Detroit communities have evaluated, revised or enacted laws in recent years to restrict pit bulls or other dogs deemed dangerous.

[email protected]
(313) 222-2069

From The Detroit News: Politics-State | Bill to ban pit bulls in Michigan stirs controversy | The Detroit News

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.