Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure there's a thread somewhere in the archives, but i would like your recent thoughts on microchipping.
technology moves fast and i'm sure products(and services) have made improvements. but there are so many mixed reviews, misconceptions, and just plain BS out there.
i've been thinking about this for a long time. and could never pull the trigger. i was distracted by all the negative hype about travelling chips, incompatible scanners, and cancerous tumors.
now i live in LA and protecting my dog is always on the front of my brain. but i wanna do it right. i don't mind spending the money. although if i purchase something, i want dependable function. not just peace of mind from a piece of crap.
any insights?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I think alot of people misunderstand what the chip is for , it wont track down your missing dog or if someone steals him . It really is only good if a shelter picks him up they can scan the chip and get the info kinda like having an ID tag on there collar except this one wont fall off or go missing. I think its always good to have every step in place for if your dog does get lose and go missing but its not a guarantee you can find him. I havent heard of the cancerous tumors being caused by them but it wouldnt surprise me that it is being said. This day in age everything causes cancer so Id take that with a grain of salt. It will also only owrk if the shelter actually scans the dog I have heard of some who havent been scanned and sat in shelters longer then needed, its a human made system and with that always comes human error. Other option would be tattoo , but same process pretty much if someone doesnt see it or doesnt look then its useless or if it fades. I go with microchipping I have a couple still I have to get done but thats the way I decided to go with.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Yeah, It'll get scanned at shelters, and I think vets scan them too, not sure on that. But I got mine done when she went in for a spay. It was only 25 bucks so I figured it was worth it. She's got the little "HomeAgain" ID Tag on her collar so if she does end up in a shelter they know to scan. And there is also a network of fellow owners and when you report your dog missing an email is sent out to people around you giving the name, color, phone number, all that jazz. I definitely think its worth getting it, hopefully it never gets used.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Just was talking about this on another forum, ALL my animals are chipped and all my future animals will be chipped for no othet reason then ultimate proff of ownership.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I have all of my dogs home again chipped. They offer a lot of things I find useful..IMO I wouldn't go with any other chip BUT home again..plus my dogs have the cute metal snoopy tags with their name and chip number on it and wallet cards with their info.
:)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I had faith in getting a chip, and did when my boy was neutered as well. I realized how much of a great investment it was after reading this story, and seeing many others like it. You never can tell. And My vet is located near a park, she said in the summer there will be a random dog or cat brought in at least once a week who has a chip and gets returned to their owners.

Willow, a 6-year calico cat that went missing from her Colorado home during a renovation 5 years ago, sits in a cage at her temporary home on Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2011, in New York's Animal Care and Control (ACC) facility. Willow, found as a stray in Manhattan and brought to ACC, had been tagged with an identification microchip and will soon be reunited with her owners.

Jim Fitzgerald, Associated Press / Sep 15, 2011 12:01 AM
A calico cat named Willow, who disappeared from a home near the Rocky Mountains five years ago, was found Wednesday on a Manhattan street and will soon be returned to a family in which two of the three kids and one of the two dogs may remember her.

How she got to New York, more than 1,600 miles away, and the kind of life she lived in the city are mysteries.

But thanks to a microchip implanted when she was a kitten, Willow will be reunited in Colorado with her owners, who had long ago given up hope.

"To be honest, there are tons of coyotes around here, and owls,'' said Jamie Squires, of Boulder. "She was just a little thing, five and a half pounds. We put out the `Lost Cat' posters and the Craigslist thing, but we actually thought she'd been eaten by coyotes.''

Squires and her husband, Chris, were "shocked and astounded'' when they got a call Wednesday from Animal Care & Control, which runs New York City's animal rescue and shelter system.

Willow had been found on East 20th Street by a man who took her to a shelter.

"My husband said, `Don't say anything to the kids yet. We have to make sure,''' Squires said. "But then we saw the picture, and it was Willow. It's been so long.''

ACC Executive Director Julie Bank said a scanner found the microchip that led to the Squires family.

"All our pets are microchipped,'' Squires said. "If I could microchip my kids, I would.''

The children are 17, 10 and 3 years old, so the older two remember Willow, Squires said. As for the 3-year-old, "She saw the photo and said, `She's a pretty cat.'''

The Squireses also have a yellow Labrador named Roscoe, who knew Willow, and an English mastiff named Zoe.

"We had another dog back then, too, and I remember that Willow would lie with them as they all waited to be fed,'' Squires said. "She thought she was a dog.''

Squires said Willow escaped in late 2006 or early 2007 when contractors left a door open during a home renovation.

Since then, the family had moved about 10 miles from Broomfield to Boulder, but it kept its address current with the microchip company.

Bank recommended that all pet owners use microchips.

She said Willow, who now weighs 7 pounds, is healthy and well-mannered and probably has not spent her life on the mean streets of Manhattan. But there are no clues about her trip east or anything else in the five years she's been missing.

Squires seemed a bit worried about a possible New York state of mind.

"I don't know what kind of life she's had, so I don't know what her personality will be like,'' she said. When Willow disappeared, she said, "She was a really cool cat, really sweet.''

The ACC and the Squireses were trying to arrange for transportation back to Colorado and health certificates and said it might be two weeks before the reunion. Willow may spend some time with a foster family in New York.

"The kids can't wait to see her,'' Squires said. "And we still have her little Christmas stocking.''

Boston.com

In regards to the story above I am guessing someone moved and took the cat with them and then it escaped again. It could not have traveled safely all the way there by herself, right? lol

·
Registered
798 Posts
When I pick up lost dogs with no tags, or numbers not correct; the first thing I do is hit up my local vet. Any vet gives free body scans.
If the vet is closed and you want to make a quick trip the emergency vets do free scanning on found dogs. They just wont let you leave it there.

I do recommend chipping for its helped place a few dogs in the past.

There were people who moved in down the road and their male lab got out and they had old tags that had old number that was shut off. His name was max. I walked around with him on a leash, posted signs, and took him in to get scanned for a chip. If they hadnt seen him in the back of my car, Max would have found himself with animal control. Chipping is like tags, just another safety step to help get your dog back home.
Though, always when going back in to your vets for a check up, have them scan for a chip again. Its not rare for chips to not launch from the needle into the skin, and its not rare for the chip to be stuck half way in and then fall out. So always (after getting it done) the next trip have them scan again. If one isnt found the vet should provide a free chip again.

EDIT
even when your number is not up to date your vets office numbers are always kept up to date. So if they cant get a hold of you, they will get a hold of your vet, who can get a hold of you

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I have chipped all my dogs and I have never had any problems. I am sure some people have had some issues with them but I have not. Vixen is an escape artist and when she was younger she got off my property several times and each time I got her back because she was chipped.

I just found a dog and he was well taken care of and expensive bully, someone paid a lot of money for him. I could not find his owners and he was not chipped. Long story short I found his owners 3 weeks later but if he was chipped I would have found them much sooner. The bennifits far outweigh the risks.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Unfortunately the chips can fail in scanning,but it doesn't happen very often. Also some shelters don't even bother to check them at times,even though it is policy and I believe against the law not to.
There have been a few cases recently where they chip didn't scan and the dog was PTS,and some where they didn't bother to check for a chip in the first place.

But over all I think it is a good idea to get a dog microchipped.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks to all for your input.
yes i understand that microchips are for identification purposes and not a tracking system. (although i really like the GPS collars used for hunting dogs and i would totally buy one if they weren't so large and impractical for everyday use).
Home Again looks to be the chip of choice. im gonna schedule an appointment with my vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have chipped all my dogs and fortunately I have never had any problem..
I heard a news about Willow the calico pet who disappeared from her home in Boulder, Colo. five years ago. Recently she was found in Manhattan, so 1,800 miles from home. she had microchip placed under her skin. So i guess she lived her own for the last 5 years. Because i guess if anyone got her, he can easily find the owner of this cat because of this microchip.. Unfortunately until now the mystery about this cat are not yet solved, so I hope this Mystery journey of Willow the cat may be solved soon..

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
thanks to all for your input.
yes i understand that microchips are for identification purposes and not a tracking system. (although i really like the GPS collars used for hunting dogs and i would totally buy one if they weren't so large and impractical for everyday use).
Home Again looks to be the chip of choice. im gonna schedule an appointment with my vet.
I was actually going to mention tracking collars (gps) if you hadn't considered it. Personally i don't care for chipping, it has its function and may very well be beneficial but not for me. I dont particularly trust people as a whole all that much and i wouldn't trust someone taking the time to scan one of my dogs. Ive had very little problems with dogs escaping in the past and present... If i had a yard full of dogs id probably consider it more than i do.

I'll stick to the collars as a just in case method of finding.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i also have very little trust in people. but that's part of my motivation. baby thugs here in LA like to steal nice dogs. don't ask me why since alot of them get mistreated then released??? sometimes used as bait.
my home is escape proof, but it's not a fortress. these pillars of the community have recently taken notice to my dog, my truck, my bike, and probably my shoes. i actually live in a nice neighborhood, but these days, especially in major cities, that counts for nothing.
video will be installed soon as i can afford it. and i know a chip won't help me find him. but if he's victim of catch and release, i would want any possible advantage.
i have a friend who works for JPL, he says subQ tracking devices are pretty easy to make. LOL. he's a super science freak like myself. problem is longevity of power source. i'm jealous of dog owners in 2050. everyone will be able to track their pets from a cell phone.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
i also have very little trust in people. but that's part of my motivation. baby thugs here in LA like to steal nice dogs. don't ask me why since alot of them get mistreated then released??? sometimes used as bait.
my home is escape proof, but it's not a fortress. these pillars of the community have recently taken notice to my dog, my truck, my bike, and probably my shoes. i actually live in a nice neighborhood, but these days, especially in major cities, that counts for nothing.
video will be installed soon as i can afford it. and i know a chip won't help me find him. but if he's victim of catch and release, i would want any possible advantage.
i have a friend who works for JPL, he says subQ tracking devices are pretty easy to make. LOL. he's a super science freak like myself. problem is longevity of power source. i'm jealous of dog owners in 2050. everyone will be able to track their pets from a cell phone.
Always could get yourself a guard dog. I'm fortunate to be on good terms with the neighbors and everyone knows when i have my dogs... the do's and don'ts. Everyone also knows not to attempt to "surprise" us by coming in or stepping foot on our yard.

We actually had someone attempt to break into our place not too long ago, we also live in a good neighborhood but unfortunately the way Florence is, you have a good neighborhood right next to a dump. You even have on some roads multi-million dollar house and across the street theres a run down low income apt, or homes. Just odd.. Anyway, yeah needless to say they didn't make it very far and fortunately dogs didn't have to attack, presence alone and charging was enough for the fool to high tail it out of there. If it came down to it though, they will take care of business until i can get there.

Might be something to consider anyway, if you have the time, money and will to have one. IMO thats the only "security" i "need", i'd rather have a dog or two that can take care of it vs depending on cameras or other means. Besides, cameras cant lick you. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts