Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Lauren, and I am posting this on behalf of and in memory of a wonderful pitbull named Karma. She belonged to my boyfriend's cousin's neighbor. When he was unable to keep the dog himself, he asked my boyfriend's cousin if she could stay at his place, and if he would take care of her. He said yes, and a beautiful dog came into the family's life. She lived there happily for almost 2 years until a few weeks ago when she escaped.

She jumped a fence and was picked up by the humane society. The owner (who for now, will remain nameless) couldn't be bothered to bail her out and so she remained at the shelter. Heartbroken, my boyfriend's cousin and his mom waited until her adoption date and went to the shekter to adopt her themselves and legally be her owners. This was yesterday, March 19, 2012.

When they arrived at the shelter, they requested to see her and said they were there to adopt her. The shelter informed them that she was put down that morning. Their excuse? That her paperwork was mixed up with another dog who was scheduled to be put down that day, and she was put down in its place. Heartbroken, shaking and in tears, they left the shelter angry and confused and came home with heavy hearts.

I loved this dog, I lived with her for many months, took her for walks, took her hiking, watched as she played happily with other dogs. She was not a threat to anyone, she had never bitten anyone, and although she may have destroyed a few things around the house, it was nothing that could possibly have warranted or justified putting her down.

I firmly believe the shelter intentioanlly pushed her paperwork to have her put down. I don't think it was an accident, I think the shelter assumed she would never be adopted because of her breed, and did what they thought was "the right thing".

Has anyone else ever encountered or heard of a similar problem? Do you know of anyone who's dog was "accidentally' put down just because of their breed? I want to take this story to the news and give that shelter hell, because they murdered a wonderful dog, just because they claim her paperwork was mixed up. I still stand by I think it was intentional, on purpose and I want to hear from other people with similar experiences.

I know I'm posting as a brand new member, and I realize this has potention to be flagged as spam, but I want to post this on as many sites as possible, and get as many personal accounts of similar incidents that I can. If this shelter is killing pits before they have a chance to go to a loving home, or in this case, go BACK home to a family that loves and cares for them, I want to expose them.

Please help, for Karma's sake.

~~Lauren

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Shelters are notorious for putting down dogs based on looks alone. Anything near " pit bull" looks will be euthanized at majority of city shelters. I question how they knew who the owner was? if he owned her for 2 years did your cousin not have any proof she was his? any vet records within the 2 years? proof that she belonged to him, doesn't sound right.
Anyway's what's done is done and Im sorry for your family's loss.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss however the entire situation would have been avoided if there was proper confinement so that she couldn't jump the fence. I don't know the entire situation but i do know that if the dog was properly contained, it wouldn't have happened to begin with.

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unfortunately, mistakes can be made like this at shelters. Most of the workers there are volunteers, and it's a crap shoot as to whether they get decent training. Most of the volunteers are very decent, kind hearted individuals, but sometimes you get one or two who are just going through the motions. Paperwork blunders are not unheard of. I think they are telling the truth, and that it was just an unfortunate coincidence that she was a pit bull.

A shelter local to my area once picked up a lost toy poodle and placed it in a run with 3 other large dogs, then left for the night. When they came in the next morning, the poodle had been tossed all over that run like a rag doll and was torn to shreds. They rushed it in to the clinic where I work at 7 am and it was in shock. We tried to save her but she died a couple hours later, while we were still trying to clean all her wounds.

the bad part was that the dogs owner had contacted the shelter the evening before right around closing, and they told her to call them back in the morning. I don't know what the shelter workers told the little dogs owner that next morning. A little training and common sense would have prevented this from happening.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Unfortunately, mistakes can be made like this at shelters. Most of the workers there are volunteers, and it's a crap shoot as to whether they get decent training. Most of the volunteers are very decent, kind hearted individuals, but sometimes you get one or two who are just going through the motions. Paperwork blunders are not unheard of. I think they are telling the truth, and that it was just an unfortunate coincidence that she was a pit bull.

A shelter local to my area once picked up a lost toy poodle and placed it in a run with 3 other large dogs, then left for the night. When they came in the next morning, the poodle had been tossed all over that run like a rag doll and was torn to shreds. They rushed it in to the clinic where I work at 7 am and it was in shock. We tried to save her but she died a couple hours later, while we were still trying to clean all her wounds.

the bad part was that the dogs owner had contacted the shelter the evening before right around closing, and they told her to call them back in the morning. I don't know what the shelter workers told the little dogs owner that next morning. A little training and common sense would have prevented this from happening.
See thats some BS. No training at all with shelter people making simple mistakes like that is disgusting. I dont think it was an accident they put this dog to sleep though. Happens all the time with this breed, its just discrimination thats all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
See thats some BS. No training at all with shelter people making simple mistakes like that is disgusting. I dont think it was an accident they put this dog to sleep though. Happens all the time with this breed, its just discrimination thats all.
I know....and I'm not trying to paint all shelter workers as morons. Most of the volunteers I've dealt with are really nice people who just want to help out. I think the breakdown comes in at the bureaucratic level. It seems to be the paper pushers who are the biggest problem sometimes.

As far as the pit discrimination goes, I've seen it first hand. I've been out with my co-worker and her pit bull numerous times, and I see how people react to her dog. Bella is extremely well trained, and never off lead in public, but some people think she is the devil himself, just because she wags her tail at them. I saw a woman, years ago, who wouldn't get out of her car because my boss's 10 year old female pit bull was lying stretched out on her side in the sun 50 yards away from the parking lot....in fact, she left our practice because of that.

In the area I live, it's almost all pit bulls and pit mixes in the shelters. We have some really good shelters here that don't just do the whole "oh crap it's a pit bull so we'll just euth it and call it good" routine. On the other hand, we also have some horrible shelters with appalling kill rates, and not just for the pit bulls either. They go through cats like nobody's business. Really just depends on the shelter, at least around here.

I don't want to come off as some sort of "Pollyanna everything smells like roses" doofus, because I'm not. I'm just saying that sometimes mistakes do happen, and short of someone admitting (which they won't) that they rushed her euth because of her breed, there's really no way to know for sure that it wasn't a mistake.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
That is an awful situation, but KM hit the nail on the head. This dog was failed before she ever entered the shelter, where, sadly, she becomes just ANOTHER pit bull type dog there. The shelter is under no obligation to do anything more than hold them through their stray hold for the original owner to claim. Many, many do not make it to the adoptable floor, oftentimes for no other issue other than space.
It is awful that thousands of Pit Bull type dogs die in our shelters everyday, even more tragic when there is, as so seldom happens, a place for them to go, but let's be realistic here. The real problem does not start with the shelters who have no room to house them, it lies with the irresponsible ownership and rampant breeding that allows them to end up there in the first place.
I am very sorry she ended up this way, as far too many do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Kind of related...

I went to my local shelter a month or more ago to try to find a Pit on death row. In Ohio, they only recently overturned the Pit aggressive breed laws though some places are still holding to the old law for 60 more days (I had to adopt Bobo thru a rescue outside my area as I didn't have and couldn't find a company to issue $100,000 insurance policy required to adopt him before he was to be put down)

Anyway, when I went to the local pound, the woman up front was busy with some kind of puppies and a news camera, so they had an inmate from the jail show me the available dogs. When I told him I was looking specifically for a Pit, he shook his head and told me they just put them down. Except in very rare cases, they don't even try to adopt them out, they just put them down.

I was so outraged! I ranted to everyone I know in town about the injustice and how it could be stopped. But as time went on, I started thinking about the population of this town. Obviously they aren't ALL morons but...the poverty level is huge,as is the drug problem, with lots of rural areas with plenty of "Bubba's" who think that it's fine to beat a dog and who think a good dog fight is a rockin' Saturday night.

So...I don't condone putting them down without a chance to find a good, responsible home, but if I am being honest with myself, I think I would rather them be humanly euthanized than tortured in some hick's yard.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
That is an awful situation, but KM hit the nail on the head. This dog was failed before she ever entered the shelter, where, sadly, she becomes just ANOTHER pit bull type dog there. The shelter is under no obligation to do anything more than hold them through their stray hold for the original owner to claim. Many, many do not make it to the adoptable floor, oftentimes for no other issue other than space.
It is awful that thousands of Pit Bull type dogs die in our shelters everyday, even more tragic when there is, as so seldom happens, a place for them to go, but let's be realistic here. The real problem does not start with the shelters who have no room to house them, it lies with the irresponsible ownership and rampant breeding that allows them to end up there in the first place.
I am very sorry she ended up this way, as far too many do.
This is an awesome post, and I agree totally.

In the future, if you plan on adopting a dog that hasn't had it's mandatory time up yet, tell the shelter. Make it very clear that you're wanting to adopt the dog.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Ohio has lived in some very dark times for this breed for a very, very long time. The reaction you received at the shelter is, sadly, what they have been legally bound to do for years (Tom Skeldon, you are a horses ass) Very recent legislature has allowed cities in Ohio to turn away from what has been a state wide declaration of the breed as vicious, but the road is still uphill there. Changing the way shelters and the public see a dog who has been labeled as Public Enemy #1 for over a decade doesn't happen overnight. MANY shelters are desperate for help, with little or no knowledge of how to proceed from here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
when we got adopted tank 3mon old they said they were not going to adopt him because of breed but they knew us and how are family was with dogs so we got to adopt him he might have been put down. our town is afraid of pitbulls and there is almost a ban on them if someone has one they will ask most stupid question "did you know thats a pitbull" and they will that is a very dangerous breed to have. its not the breeds fault its the people who train them. well if the saying "guns dont kill people people kill people" then I think "pits dont hurt or kill, people who train them do". fits the bill so sorry you were not able to get Karma back im sure you do miss her

1 - 11 of 11 Posts