Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to discuss the Boxer mix that fatally mauled someone 3 months ago that has caused Montreal to pass some of the worst legislation against dogs. Montreals law includes:

Staffordshire bull terriers.
American pit bull terriers.
American Staffordshire terriers.
Any mix with these breeds.
Any dog that presents characteristics of one of those breeds.

The bylaw also creates two categories of dogs of all breeds: at-risk and dangerous. At-risk dogs are those that exhibit aggressive behavior, such as biting someone. Dangerous dogs are those that have killed someone or are deemed dangerous by an expert. A dog can be declared dangerous if it kills a toad, mouse, rodents of any sort.

Quebec's Order of Veterinarians has told members that they have the right to refuse to euthanize healthy dogs, even if owners are found to have violated municipal rules. In a letter to its members, the order said veterinarians must weigh issues of animal welfare and public health in making their decisions, but ultimately, "no municipal regulation or provincial legislation can obligate a veterinarian to carry out any veterinary act." The SPCA is also threatening to close its doors and refuse to euthanize healthy dogs who happen to look like they might be a pit bull.

Those who now own a dog of those breeds and already live in Montreal will have to acquire a special permit in order to keep their pet by Dec. 31, 2016. Until this special permit is required, dogs are required to be muzzled 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The Dangerous Dog permit costs $150 and there are strict rules with who will be allowed a permit. Getting this permit you forfeit your rights and must allow the government access to your home at anytime for any reason without a warrant.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I am unbelievably saddened by this. The country on a whole has worked so hard to get the ontario ban lifted and fight for rights and lives in Ontario and then to have one of the largest cities in the country pass another ban is heart breaking. The other half of it is fear as to what city is next? watching what my fellow BC people have been saying has so angered today as you saw on my FB post. so much ignorance out there and like you mentioned the number of dogs we have in these categories compared to the states is shocking that this type of law has even had to come up let alone come into play. My heart hurts for all the owners and dogs in Montreal that are being effected by this, and not only pit bulls but any dog they think looks like one will be effected. BSL sucks... #PitbullLivesMatter

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Are you close to there angel? :(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
thankfully no I'm on the west coast of BC . but already there are people that are brain washed by the media crying for a ban canada wide.. should hear some of the BS being said. my cousins post had some guy talking about how the breed is bad news and not trustworthy and yes there may be a few good ones but how can you tell and blah blah then posted a dog bite . org stat to support his bullcrap post.... this is a common thing right now , all the idiots are out in full force.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts