Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bully is nine months and way too nice. He would help burglars carry my stuff out. He wants to greet everyone when will he start being more protective and alittle more aggressive?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
YOu have the wrong breed if you want aggressive and I hope you dont try and make him that way this breed wasnt meant for it. as for protective I think most loyal loved family dogs if put in a situation where there family is being threatened would step up and defend there family. As for defending a burglar if you werent home I think even my adults would help them carry things out especially if they had treats lol. If you want a protection dog there are better breeds suited for that or better yet get an alarm system.

Reactions: MY MIKADO

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
If he's well-bred, he wont. He'll have to protect you by reputation of the breed. A human-aggressive APBT or AmBully is a liability, and most experienced breed fanciers avoid them like the plague (and many euthanize them).

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
exactly above, your dog isn't meant o scare anyone, you have the wrong breed if that's what you are looking for. Unfortunately you have to rely on your dog just looking the way he does to fool people into thinking he is mean. As he grows his protective nature will kick in I am sure, and if you are in danger he would not sit by and let you get hurt. But you NEVER want him to fear ANYONE especially if you are not there to reassure him.

If anyone comes in my house without me being home, my boy is showing them where I keep his kibbles and then his leash....

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
This is what is wrong with people perception of the breed. The media has played these dogs up to be mean and klillers whenb in fact these dogs are so gentle.

I hope that you accept your dog for the gentle happy go lucky soul that he is. If you want an aggressive dog get a shepherd.

3,968 Posts
apbts,ambullys as stated aren't meant to be agressive. yes apbts were used for dog fighting and unfortunatley still are illegally tho. it is common for apbts to be dog agressive but apbts and bullys alike were not meant to be agressive torwards people. i can't speak so much for ambullys since i do not know much about them. and a lot of people do use bullys for intimidation around my parts any way. but i believe they were bred for a layed back freindly attitude. apbts were always bred to have a love for humans and human affection. the first time i read an educational book on american pits, it said they would rather lick a burglar to death then bite one. they were bred to be a sportmens perfect dog. entertainment and superb family member. the only time a well bred apbt should show signs of human agression is if someone is in danger and the dog is being protective of its owner. ambullies were basically meant to have the same quality from my understanding.

if you want a guard dog then you should have looked into guardian breeds. not whatever breed looked bad a** to you. which i am guessing is what u based your breed of choice from. most people who want guard dogs and get an apbt or ambully base it all on looks alone. guardian breeds would be more like german sheperds,mastiffs,rotties,dobermans,cane corso,boxer...so on. theres plenty of other breeds to chose from if u wanted a guard dog with more of that natural instinct to protect.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If he's well-bred, he wont. He'll have to protect you by reputation of the breed. A human-aggressive APBT or AmBully is a liability, and most experienced breed fanciers avoid them like the plague (and many euthanize them).
this is truth .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Just to let you know he is more a show dog. I don't want him to be mean but I just thought like some other dogs at some point he would be a little more cautious as to how he approached other people he did not know. He is just so goofy, haha.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks guys! Just to let you know he is more a show dog. I don't want him to be mean but I just thought like some other dogs at some point he would be a little more cautious as to how he approached other people he did not know. He is just so goofy, haha.
Let him be. That will help promote a positive image of the breed. People are shocked when I let them approach my dogs and all they want to do is lick instead of bite hands off. A Chihuahua is probably a better guard dog than a pit bull

·
Registered
96 Posts
My bully is nine months and way too nice. He would help burglars carry my stuff out. He wants to greet everyone when will he start being more protective and alittle more aggressive?
Get an alarm system and a Doberman pincher an give me the bully

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
th s a good thread i beleive. i dont condone man biters in the least bit but i do cherish a dead game animal, for the past 4 years i have been using apbts in protection work but its just work to the dogs the enjoy pleasing me i just start with bite work and gradually increase it as i go and the dog advances the only difference between my dogs and street mixes and pits u hear of in the news all the time are not well bred animals or worked with. all of my dogs are like the safety on a gun they can be turned on and off im sure ill get some negative respones on this but i have never forced my animals to bite i just became interested in that aspect and using the dogs i had ive grown up around gs and police handlers but have always owned apbt so i gave them this job and they have excelled at it but they are big giant teddey bears. and to be clear it happend trying to get one pup to work a springpole it kinda clicked wonder if i can do this with a bite sleeve one thing turned to another. these dogs excel in everything i have one that will work cattle with a come by and away command and a walk up its awesome. sorry for rambling hope i dont offend anyone with this just my take on it and how things go on my yard

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Let him be. That will help promote a positive image of the breed. People are shocked when I let them approach my dogs and all they want to do is lick instead of bite hands off. A Chihuahua is probably a better guard dog than a pit bull
:goodpost:, my chi's are great alarms and they work along with my pittys.

Chis alert and my pittys investigate.

Other than that my bully is super sweet, she just wants to go lick everyones faces, and wants to know what everyone is talking about lol.

A good way to make them more protective is by giving them alot of love. It gives the dog a reason to 'protect' its owner. just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Should definitely offer the disclaimer that amateurs should not try protection-training their dogs at home. I'm somewhat okay with it when its undertaken by a highly-knowledgeable trainer. I have no problem with it being done in the sports arenas either. But you do not want an un-guided and inexperienced dog making decisions on his own about whether or not he should bite someone. Those behaviors need to be molded, and dogs with protection training need to be carefully handled. ETA: I'm not saying what anybody here does and does not do. I just don't want the original poster thinking this is a good idea if he is not fully prepared and committed to the training.

for the past 4 years i have been using apbts in protection work but its just work to the dogs the enjoy pleasing me ... all of my dogs are like the safety on a gun they can be turned on and off

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
th s a good thread i beleive. i dont condone man biters in the least bit but i do cherish a dead game animal, for the past 4 years i have been using apbts in protection work but its just work to the dogs the enjoy pleasing me i just start with bite work and gradually increase it as i go and the dog advances the only difference between my dogs and street mixes and pits u hear of in the news all the time are not well bred animals or worked with. all of my dogs are like the safety on a gun they can be turned on and off im sure ill get some negative respones on this but i have never forced my animals to bite i just became interested in that aspect and using the dogs i had ive grown up around gs and police handlers but have always owned apbt so i gave them this job and they have excelled at it but they are big giant teddey bears. and to be clear it happend trying to get one pup to work a springpole it kinda clicked wonder if i can do this with a bite sleeve one thing turned to another. these dogs excel in everything i have one that will work cattle with a come by and away command and a walk up its awesome. sorry for rambling hope i dont offend anyone with this just my take on it and how things go on my yard
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/31437-what-gameness.html

Poor choice of words maybe. I wouldn't want newbs confusing gameness with any kind of human aggression.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Should definitely offer the disclaimer that amateurs should not try protection-training their dogs at home. I'm somewhat okay with it when its undertaken by a highly-knowledgeable trainer. I have no problem with it being done in the sports arenas either. But you do not want an un-guided and inexperienced dog making decisions on his own about whether or not he should bite someone. Those behaviors need to be molded, and dogs with protection training need to be carefully handled. ETA: I'm not saying what anybody here does and does not do. I just don't want the original poster thinking this is a good idea if he is not fully prepared and committed to the training.
yes definatly i was mentored for years before i ever decided to give it a try myself fully training a dog i had handled them but never from start to finsh and always work with a proffesional trainer when doing this and that is the biggest deal for the dogs deciding what a threat is thats why i strictly i cannot emphaise this enough only in training do i let my dogs decide after they have been turned on or sent will i let them make the desicion but itsd after they have been called off and or stopped when the aggressor stops when he continues the dog makes the decision to go foward this is the only time i let the dogs make that decision any other time they ahve to be sent it takes alot of time and training to get a dog that will work. i have a saying i use often everyone has heard of practice makes perfect? WRONG perfect practice makes perfect for instance if you train with bad habits yourself expect your dogs to picl them up as well strive for greatness always.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/31437-what-gameness.html

Poor choice of words maybe. I wouldn't want newbs confusing gameness with any kind of human aggression.
definatly right there i can see where i coulda worded this better my point was to the more experienced handlers how i use the never quit always wanting to please attitude towards this type of work. it could be very easy for the newb to mistake that for gameness not knowing the difference between the two thanks for jumping on that for me i appreciate it

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
definatly right there i can see where i coulda worded this better my point was to the more experienced handlers how i use the never quit always wanting to please attitude towards this type of work. it could be very easy for the newb to mistake that for gameness not knowing the difference between the two thanks for jumping on that for me i appreciate it
All good, mate. I thought it was just a wording thing.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
That's the way they should be, I have almost 20 of these dogs and just about anybody can come into my house. I do have a few that are more protective but in general they are very sweet dogs and that is how it should be. For protection I have my Dutch Shepherd she is a great guard dog. ;)

Bite work is fine like you said if done correctly but I do not like when they are used for PP bitework. PP is not the same as sports like Schutzhund or Ring sports IMO.

:goodpost: They should not be used in PP but sports can be great when done with a trainer who knows what they are doing.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
That's the way they should be, I have almost 20 of these dogs and just about anybody can come into my house. I do have a few that are more protective but in general they are very sweet dogs and that is how it should be. For protection I have my Dutch Shepherd she is a great guard dog. ;)

Bite work is fine like you said if done correctly but I do not like when they are used for PP bitework. PP is not the same as sports like Schutzhund or Ring sports IMO.

:goodpost: They should not be used in PP but sports can be great when done with a trainer who knows what they are doing.
:goodpost: :goodpost:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lol I had a 115 lbs. male AKC German Shepherd that was the biggest goofball and had no aggression at all. I loved that dog, but as far as protection, forget about it. I am the one to fear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts