Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of this in my neck of the woods for about 2 years now. Now its official. Crazy. After 100 years of extinction in the area.

Fairfeld PD on prowl for mountain lion
Jun 17, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Fairfield police have received two reports of mountain lion sightings over the past three days.

One occurred Friday morning in the vicinity of Mine Hill Road at Verna Hill Road. The other was on Wednesday afternoon near Redding Road at Old Academy, police said.

In a statement police said, "although sightings are unique to this area it's important for people to be aware of the fact these animals can pose a danger to humans as well as domesticated pets."

These are the latest reports of mountain lions reportedly spotted in Connecticut. One cat was killed on the Wilbur Cross Parkway in Milford this past Saturday, and may be the same one that was previously spotted in Greenwich.

Police detailed several precautions people should take. Those include:
Keep children indoors around dawn and dusk Do not feed wildlife that would be a potential prey Install or use motion detector lighting, especially near sidewalks and pathways Scatter mothballs and ammonia-soaked scraps of cloth around your yard
If you come face to face with a mountain lion, Fairfield Police say:
Do not approach Gather and protect your children Keep eye contact and back away slowly, without running Give the mountain lion an avenue for escape
Any sightings should be reported to police. In Fairfield, the department's emergency communication center can be reached at 203-254-4800.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LOL geeze just over a couple sightings? why did they kill the cat? I have lived in mountain lion territory most of my life and only ever seen them twice { other then in the wild life refuge} they can be dangerous but so are bears and coyotes and wolves and lynx lol , Do you guys not have wild animals there lol? good reason there are guns all over the farm , your legally not allowed to kill one here they are protected but if you are protecting your life or someone elses life or your livestock you can shoot them but have to bring them into the rangers immediately or call and report the kill. Are you in the city? thats the only time people get worked up about these here if they come into the city limits .

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Thats very cool they came back though after being extinct in your area, did someone release some ? or theyjust made there way there?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Thats very cool they came back though after being extinct in your area, did someone release some ? or theyjust made there way there?
That's what I was wondering.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I live near some pretty heavily forested areas. I have spoken to ppl who have claimed to see them along my area( within 5 miles of me) and that was a few years ago. Now, one was struck by a car 45 miles away from me and there have been sightings reported about 20- 25 miles away. Idk. I think they were released honestly.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
oh hit by car lol , I thought there was this mass scare and they killed one or something lol. we have people who keep them as pets { bad bad ideas} those are the only ones we have had issues in the last few years people find these cubs and think they can tame them WRONG lol , when they get to be too much they release them but by this point they are so used to human interaction and depend on people for food they become a problem. Our wild life refuge by us has a few they took from people who got in over there heads. kinda sad.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh hit by car lol , I thought there was this mass scare and they killed one or something lol. we have people who keep them as pets { bad bad ideas} those are the only ones we have had issues in the last few years people find these cubs and think they can tame them WRONG lol , when they get to be too much they release them but by this point they are so used to human interaction and depend on people for food they become a problem. Our wild life refuge by us has a few they took from people who got in over there heads. kinda sad.
Yea I don't know how that would work. I know of a man with a coyote and another with a wolfdog hybrid.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
those wolf hybrids arent no joke either , my uncles friend up in the mountains has this wolf mix I think he said its like 3/4 wolf I only met him when he was a pup and he was bigger then loki he was scarry. paws as big as my hands and power OMG thing was a beast i wont be going to his house in the night lol thats for sure. I think id be more scared of those then the mountain lions lol.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I kind of miss living in a country that has big cats. Not that they lived where we lived but there was something about knowing that there were lions, leopards and cheetahs in your country.

Reactions: pitbullmamanatl

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I kind of miss living in a country that has big cats. Not that they lived where we lived but there was something about knowing that there were lions, leopards and cheetahs in your country.
You used to live in Africa? Big cats are bangin!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Yeh I was born in South Africa and we moved here when I was 9. I was a real animal nerd kind of kid and I used to bug my parents to do "animal stuff" all the time. My 9th birthday was at this awesome crocodile park.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Yeh I was born in South Africa and we moved here when I was 9. I was a real animal nerd kind of kid and I used to bug my parents to do "animal stuff" all the time. My 9th birthday was at this awesome crocodile park.
Dude that is awesome! What did you do at said Crocodile Park? I am picturing the Crocs serving as rides etc like on the Flintstones. No? lol

I am a dinosaur dork so it is all good. I get super angry when I see incorrect depictions of dinosaurs on kid shows Bray watches and go through his old books and throw out any outdated ones. Yeah I have issues....

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha we cant leave the dogs out now lol. Gotta love the woods.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Good times......... your dogs should fine; but don't think Mt.Lions don't eat dogs.. LOL just be vigilant and don't let anyone/anypet stray behind you.. the straggler always gets it.

Even if you dont see them they usually know where you are if in close proximity.. Opening up hunting priviledges would help more than anything.. Better get you some bear mace.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good times......... your dogs should fine; but don't think Mt.Lions don't eat dogs.. LOL just be vigilant and don't let anyone/anypet stray behind you.. the straggler always gets it.

Even if you dont see them they usually know where you are if in close proximity.. Opening up hunting priviledges would help more than anything.. Better get you some bear mace.
I will. I'm pretty sure they have been around. I'll put money on two things, captive ones released or they never left. Judging by the deer over population, I bet something went wrong lol.

Reactions: Firehazard
1 - 18 of 18 Posts