Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic is addressed somewhere on this site, but I just haven't found it.

I'm fostering a sweet young pit bull female and she seems to like to chew on stuff. Not really destructive, but I'm gone all day, 5 days/wk. and she will attack a shoe, toy, or door frame in her frustation.

I'd like to know what I can, or should, use for her to satisfy her chewing tendencies. I've thought about the rawhide bones but know they can be dangerous. I've used a Kong filled with frozen peanut butter, and she's just not too interested in that. I'm very new to the breed....as I said, I'm just fostering this dog.

Any suggestions?
Thanks~
Calypsolady

·
Registered
40 Posts
Puppies are big on Chewing, Pitbulls especially. so its very important to catch her in the act (when you can) address her with a calm and firm "No" and then give her a chew toy or something she is allowed. when chewing on her toys give her praise and she will eventually get it. i would also suggest a crate for the day with a safe chew toy. you'll prevent mouthing and you will be potty training her all at once. i give Thor a kong with some puppy canned food and he will chew for hours. good luck with the fostering

·
Registered
76 Posts
When you are gone from home , crate her with a chew toy you approve of.
When you are at home correct her immediately if she chews anything you do not want her to and give her immediately a chew toy she can chew.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree with bulldoggin. Crating her when you are away will protect her as well as your possessions. Freedom needs to be earned. Once you notice the chewing is improved when you are home, start letting her stay out when you run short errands, and work up from there. If you adopt out a dog that is not crate trained, and has a chewing problem, it will probably come right back into rescue. You can also spray furniture, door frames, corners etc with bitter apple to deter the chewing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Puppies chew excessively as it is part of their development process. Chewing can help ease associated pain with teething and such. Age will help with some of this, unless the dog is/becomes compulsive. Frozen wet cloth rags can be used if a dog will take to them. Doggy chew rings and other toys are good for mouth training and psychological stimulation. Training can address much such behavior. One thing that can create compulsive personality disorders is lack of stimulation and exercise. With pent up energy you will always be dealing with some kind of issue on some level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts