Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 10 month old. He started to use his mouth about a month ago when playing with me. It really doesn’t bother me but, I have children and I don’t want him to think that he can do the same with them, plus I think that he just might be challenging my authority or leadership with that. I don’t want to make him shy but I want to watch over my kids. He is a strong puppy. What should I do?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I posted this in another thread, that is why it pays to read other threads that relate to your problem

If you allow a dog to bite in play you are giving them the right to think it is ok to put teeth on people. I see this happen time and time again when they (the owners) freak out because the dog put teeth on them in a manner other than play. It always comes down to dogs that were allowed to mouth. If you give them the ok to put teeth on you in play then it is ok in anger of frustration. Dogs are very black and white animals when you start allowing things in one instance but not another you start to get gray and that causes confusion.

At this age the puppy should not be putting teeth on you at all and if she/he is then you need to step up the correction. My rule with puppies is they are never allowed to put teeth on human skin. Even if they do not put pressure it is wrong and they will get corrected even for the thought of teeth to skin. Then when adults they learn teeth NEVER EVER go on people in anger or play.
If your puppy tries to put teeth on you I would grab the puppy by the scruff and say a sharp "NO!" as soon as the pup stops then praise. if the scruff doesn't stop the behavior then try grabbing an ear and pinching a little. Not to rip off the puppies ear, lol, but enough to cause discomfort and stop the behavior.
Puppies should stop bitting after about 2 weeks if you correct every time.
hope that helps.

also this is a good thread
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/16152-my-puppy-bites-me-why-do-puppies-bite.html

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Dogs are very black and white animals when you start allowing things in one instance but not another you start to get gray and that causes confusion.
Excellent advice, PK. Understanding this is critical.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pkennels;

I respect your opinion, I also had already read the thread that you are referring to a few days ago. There are allot of people in the forum witch I also wanted their opinions for future reference.

I really appreciate your response do.

Thanks like always

·
Registered
383 Posts
personally, and i know people disagree with me, but i play with my pup all the time and let him mouth my hand/arm. he doesnt leave red marks or anything, no jaw pressure involed. i push him away, tap him in the face, legs, squeeze his ears, ect untill he starts playing/wrestling. he plays with the cat the same way, mouths, but no pressure. and the cat will play with him back so i know theres no aggression in it.

even the baby goes up to the pup, opens his mouth and sticks his hand in the pups mouth. all the time, he'll even play doctor with the pup and stick hammers and tools in the pups mouth. he grabs his tounge, bites his ears, stomps on his tail. but all the pup does is lick lick and lick some more. he knows the baby is off limits and is super submissive around him. he takes hundreds of toys to the head and smacks from the baby on a daily bais.

the only one the pup really plays with is me. i have friends come over and they cant even get him to wrestle with them most of the time, after a while and realizing that they want to play with him he will a little, but not for long.

i set down rules from day one that he can only mouth on me, and so far, he hasnt chewed on ANY of the baby toys that are all over the floor.

i fully understand where PK is coming from, dogs ARE very black and white, if you let them get away with something once, they're going to do it again.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Pkennels;

I respect your opinion, I also had already read the thread that you are referring to a few days ago. There are allot of people in the forum witch I also wanted their opinions for future reference.

Thanks like always
You will find that her responses are the general consensus of the knowledgeable group of members here. It is not only Lisa's recent posts that you can reference, this topic comes up time and time again, and the answer is always the same. You will get one or two people telling you that it's ok, or they don't do what was recommended, but you get the same thing with any topic. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone disagrees with the experienced trainers, and then a few months later I see that they now have an out of control issue instead of a nuisance. The reason why Lisa says it pays to read other people's threads is because we all get tired of repeating the same info over and over. The first time the info was posted, you get the full zeal of a well prepared, excited response, when we type it the 47th time, we are often just going through the motions.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Pkennels;

Thanks like ys
Interesting, ok

Floorcandy, I couldn't have said it better! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will find that her responses are the general consensus of the knowledgeable group of members here. It is not only Lisa's recent posts that you can reference, this topic comes up time and time again, and the answer is always the same. You will get one or two people telling you that it's ok, or they don't do what was recommended, but you get the same thing with any topic. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone disagrees with the experienced trainers, and then a few months later I see that they now have an out of control issue instead of a nuisance. The reason why Lisa says it pays to read other people's threads is because we all get tired of repeating the same info over and over. The first time the info was posted, you get the full zeal of a well prepared, excited response, when we type it the 47th time, we are often just going through the motions.
Ok, I achieved my puopose, more than one opinion but the majority inclined towards one. I am a trainable person and can take constructive critisism in a good way. That is why I like gopitbull.com so much, there is a lot of people that know what they are talking about and the majority (what I have noticed) have good intentions.

In regards to my problem, It is so hard not to play with my puppy like that. I am so used to it with my previous dogs. I know and understand the difference in the breed. By not having a ped on my puppy I can't tell how well he is breed so, I will do my best to stop him from mouthing. I dont whant him to hurt anyone by mistake wile playing. My fiance and kids don't understand the strenght of the dog and will say, AAAHHHHHHHH, he tried to bite me, bla bla bla, and will try to make me give him away. Neeeeeeeeveeeeeeeer.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Ok, I achieved my puopose, more than one opinion but the majority inclined towards one. I am a trainable person and can take constructive critisism in a good way. That is why I like gopitbull.com so much, there is a lot of people that know what they are talking about and the majority (what I have noticed) have good intentions.

In regards to my problem, It is so hard not to play with my puppy like that. I am so used to it with my previous dogs. I know and understand the difference in the breed. By not having a ped on my puppy I can't tell how well he is breed so, I will do my best to stop him from mouthing. I dont whant him to hurt anyone by mistake wile playing. My fiance and kids don't understand the strenght of the dog and will say, AAAHHHHHHHH, he tried to bite me, bla bla bla, and will try to make me give him away. Neeeeeeeeveeeeeeeer.
No dog should ever be allowed to mouth people. Even small dogs. If you go out and a stranger gets mouthed they may not understand and can cause you a lot of trouble. IMO there is no reason that dogs cannot be taught to play without mouthing people, that is what toys are for. Wrestle with your dog, do whatever you want, but have a long rope toy or something similar, and teach the dog it is only ok to mouth the toy. Remember that the nip that leaves you a bruise can crush a bone of a child or elderly person. A dog does not have to break the skin in order to do damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts